{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Visa Question  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Visa Question
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:48:05 AM »
If a person has a 1 Year multiple entry Non O Visa are they required to leave and re-enter the Kingdom every 90 days or can they report to Immigration every 90 days.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: Visa Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
They must leave the country. No need to do 90 day reports.

If the visa is based on marraige they can go to immigration and get a 60 day exrension for 1900 baht.

If the timing is right you can get 17 months out of a 1 year multi O.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:08 AM »
So, for example, if they were 85 days in and didn't want to leave the country, they could go to immigration and pay 1900 for a 60 day extension?
Could they keep doing this throughout the year to avoid leaving or is it limited to 1 X 60 day extension per visa.

I ask because a friend who is married to a Thai applied for his Non O visa in Singapore where he was working. He's now stopped work. He has a 1 year Non O visa (multiple entry). He reported to immigration when he first arrived and assuming he has understood correctly, they told him he has to go back and see them at 90 days from the date he entered. No 90 day report slip given. Possibly they are anticipating the 60 day extension.
I have limited understanding of the various processes but am assuming he can't extend the current Non O visa (which he intends to do based on marriage) until it is 30 days from expiry, so this leaves him having to do 60 day extensions and or leave country every 90 days.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »
No. He doesn't extend the visa. He extends the permission to stay. Therefors he can extend for one year, based on marraige or retirement, anytime that he has less than 30 days befors he must leave the country.

The " enter before" date is not relevant when extending permission to stay.

If he decides to continue on the multi O route he can only extend for 60 days once per entry.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
Ok, thanks Starman.

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »
A bit off topic but.... I was told if you have visa based on marriage you have to leave every 90 days but after you obtain an extension you only have to do 90 day reports. I don't think that sounds correct so I thought I would pose the question here....

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
A bit off topic but.... I was told if you have visa based on marriage you have to leave every 90 days but after you obtain an extension you only have to do 90 day reports. I don't think that sounds correct so I thought I would pose the question here....

I made a point on a similar thread about needing to use the correct terminology when speaking about such things. I was told I was wrong. Please allow me to try to explain.

A VISA is what is obtained, most of the time, outside of Thailand to be used to enter the country. Depending on which type of visa you require dictates where the visa can be obtained from. As an example a multi entry O based on marriage can be obtained at many consulates local to Thailand. A multi entry tourist visa can only be obtained in your home country.

When you get to Thailand, if you have a single entry visa, your visa will be stamped "used" and the visa itself has expired. What is stamped into your passport is a "permission to stay". A tourist visa gives you 60 days and a Non Imm visa will give you 90.

It is this "permission to stay" that is extended. You do not extend a visa.

So....if you have a multi entry visa you will get a permission to stay of 90 days. After that 90 days if you do not wish to or don't have the means to extend, you leave the country and come back. There are no rules as to how long you need to exit for. A quick hop over any land border is acceptable. You will of course need to satisfy the visa conditions of the country you enter. As you are leaving the country on or before the 90 days there is no need to go to immigration to complete a "notification of alien staying longer than 90 days" form. Upon your return your 90 days will start again at 1.

If you entered on a Non imm visa and have subsequently been to an immigration office here in Thailand and have applied for and successfully obtained a "permission to stay" based on marriage/retirement/employment you need to report to immigration every 90 days. In addition, if you need to leave the country at anytime during your permission to stay period you will need to go to immigration and apply for a re entry permit. If you do not, upon your return to Thailand, you will get a 30 day "visa excempt" stamp in your passport and will need to start the Non Imm procedure all over again.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:30:02 PM by Starman »

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
Yes I believe you answered the question. My friend was correct in that when he extends his permission to stay based on marriage he does not need to do border crossings any more just 90 day report and get new entry permit.

Thanks for the information.

Offline Woody

• Contributor with future
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:06:31 PM »

Yes, thanks Starman... good information and explanation.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick