0 (0%)
Other, please specify.
3 (27.3%)
My feelings are hurt, delete the post
2 (18.2%)
BE members disagreeing
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Boring Posts  (Read 21792 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Boring Posts
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
At the moment... it's raining and will continue to do so for a day or two... so it's back to pork pie making and wiring up the extension... now that IS boring

I happen to enjoy cooking (and eating).  Made sausage gravy and hashbrowns for breakfast.  Now you want boring, I had to investigate the US Tax code yesterday on implications of the US GVT paying my daughter (I have yet to figure out why they are doing that), that was 2 hours I will never get back.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 10:25:43 PM »
I am doing what I can to make this forum relevant.  I made offers to admin (no response), and to Mod (please stop saying bad things). 

The last BE member according to the forum is pjsomers, registered July 10.  So for over a month this forum could not get a single new applicant (other than spammers). 

I really like BE, it has helped me multiple times.  But I fear it is dying and want to make it relevant. 

How can us members overcome boring posts while keeping the site active?  To me one solution is that if you find a post boring, ignore it, block it, do not read it, and don't complain about it being posted, because Mod is listening and will delete the thread because you find it boring.

Also note, about 600 views and 6 votes.  Obviously only .1% of posters care. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:44:56 PM by urleft »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
I am doing what I can to make this forum relevant.  I made offers to admin (no response), and to Mod (please stop saying bad things). 

The last BE member according to the forum is pjsomers, registered July 10.  So for over a month this forum could not get a single new applicant (other than spammers). 

I really like BE, it has helped me multiple times.  But I fear it is dying and want to make it relevant. 

How can us members overcome boring posts while keeping the site active?  To me one solution is that if you find a post boring, ignore it, block it, do not read it, and don't complain about it being posted, because Mod is listening and will delete the thread because you find it boring.

Also note, about 600 views and 6 votes.  Obviously only .1% of posters care. 

You obviously can't take a hint.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:03:35 AM by Starman »

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 07:59:03 AM »
Out of all the members on here only around a dozen contribute...........Why is that..........Urleft take a good hard look in the mirror.........YOU have pissed so many people off,they can't be arsed anymore.

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »
Nail on the head Nookie.

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »
Try looking at http://www.surinfarang.com/forum/ there is even less activity there.
I generally have the feeling that local forums are pretty much moribund in Thailand. The one I originally started with has disappeared
Skilled diplomat that I am, I won't mention the name of the person on this forum that bullies and sneers whenever he can (gone a bit quieter recently) and nearly had me abstaining completely form using the forum. Which of course was what he wanted.
Newbies especially are targetted, apart from my own case I remember the guy that proudly reported about the itinerant dyer that he had seen and immediately got the message that newbies needn't express themselves.
So two things: 1. Why do people write and answer posts at all? In my case, I initiate most of my posts because I want to learn something. I answer posts that I am interested in as it obliges me to summon up what I might know or think I know about the subject. Putting it out there is also a way of learning. Most people don't think that way and they hesitate to make fools of themselves... which in my case is obviously irrelevant as I have been making a fool of myself all my life and don't care.
2. Mr. Urleft, I propose that you start to make statistics referring to the number of posts per month for the last year or two. I'm pretty sure that we are in the summer doldrums at the moment, wait until November or so, I suspect that posts pick up then, as people start to arrive to avoid the northern winters. 

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »
I generally try to stay out of the exchanges that become personal and/or insulting. For my part, I have a pretty dry sense of humour and I'm certainly not adverse to taking the pi*s or having it taken out of me. There are times however where some of the comments and reactions on the forum are beyond that and IMHO amount to nothing less than bullying.
I think it quite possible that many of the non active members may have witnessed this and choose not to actively take part because of it.

For my part I post to seek new information and to share information that I think may be of use to others. If a topic interests me I may take part, if it doesn't I don't bother. What isn't important to me may be of great importance to another and I try to respect that.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »
Exactly right, Freddy.

The last time I posted something that another member disagreed wirh I was called a liar, told I have my head up my arse and was accused of being involved in a business that I clearly have no connection with.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
For me the bottom line is this. It should be perfectly possible for mature adults to have a differing opinion on any subject and share that point of view, but to do so without being critical of another's position and certainly without insults.
Nothing more to say on this subject.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 10:43:36 PM »
Out of all the members on here only around a dozen contribute...........Why is that..........Urleft take a good hard look in the mirror.........YOU have pissed so many people off,they can't be arsed anymore.

Wow, so I got your goat Nookie, sweet, I am fullfilled.  Tit for tat as we say in the USA.  Did you attack me first?   Tell the Truth Paul, who attacked who first? 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 10:51:48 PM »
For me the bottom line is this. It should be perfectly possible for mature adults to have a differing opinion on any subject and share that point of view, but to do so without being critical of another's position and certainly without insults.
Nothing more to say on this subject.

Believe it or not, I do not try to attack to attack BE members.  If they want to engage in reasonable discussion I am all for that.  But at least one expat here hunts out my posts to disparage me, and a 2nd is climbing on.  OK, yes I do call out Nookie, but he deserves it, just ask him. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 11:06:04 PM »
Why do people write and answer posts at all? In my case, I initiate most of my posts because I want to learn something. I answer posts that I am interested in as it obliges me to summon up what I might know or think I know about the subject. Putting it out there is also a way of learning. Most people don't think that way and they hesitate to make fools of themselves... which in my case is obviously irrelevant as I have been making a fool of myself all my life and don't care.

One thing to look at on this forum is the past posts vrs current posts.  Admin used to post a lot to get interest in this site, now they fail to post.  While I did not look I think Admin's last new post was to try to sell something, and Mod's new topic was to re-start funny photos after he screwed up and deleted the whole thread.   

And I will probably get banned for this but Mod and Admin have no interest in promoting this site.  Which is too bad as I want both this forum and BE to succeed. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 06:24:18 AM »
Perfect response.

Always someone elses fault.

Proves the point ten fold.

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 07:48:46 AM »
Perfect response.

You're doing it again. Proves what point? That urleft is not up to your intellectual level? We're not interested

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Perfect response.

You're doing it again. Proves what point? That urleft is not up to your intellectual level? We're not interested

Perfect response.

Proves anither point.

Who are the "we" to whom you refer?

I'm sure others would prefer to answer for themselves.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick