{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: 2016 Rice Crop  (Read 8849 times)

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: 2016 Rice Crop
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 08:10:20 AM »
I fail to see the problem.  Having read this site for years and seen how so many super rich farang there is in Buriram; why don't they just sell one rai of land.  Apparently one rai goes for 1,5000,000 (£30,000) in some piss hole outside Buriram.  Easy, problem solved.   

Any farmer with any self respect doesn't treat land that has been in his family for generations as a commodity. Land is a part of his cultural identity, his way of life, his family values. In my admittedly limited experience the people that are being forced to give up their land are drunks or people that have built up huge debts that they can't repay (or both) or that have signed contracts with business people that they don't understand and suddenly find the 'lads' at their door telling them that their land is no longer theirs.

Offline BillH52

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
Inlaws work 32 rai of rice; not making much profit this year, if any; however, will not be destitute, either. 

Several years ago, I pushed them to pay off of their loans and I.O.U.'s, until they were all paid in full; so now, the inlaws really don't owe anything.  Much better shape than most, by far.

Offline llso

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
Surprised to hear paddy land in Buriram is going for a high price. When my wife and I returned to Faranglad 10 years ago she bought up quite a bit of paddy land. Some people in her family left their land to their children and they had no interest in rice farming so they mortgaged the land to the bank for quick cash. When they got to the point where they were going to lose the land to the bank they contacted my wife. Being she was the only one in the family that had any money. We sent enough money for them to pay off the bank with a little extra for their pocket. It was a win/win situation because they were going to lose the land anyway and wound up with a little cash too.  When word spread others approached her with the same deal. We bought a couple more pieces and her family farms the land but my wife owns it.

Offline halfaboy

• Contributor with future
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 10:38:17 AM »
The system of mortgaging land, not paying back to the bank, selling to a family member and keep on using the land as if it was still their own is not unusual. I heard that a couple of times before.

On the short term it is a win-win situation. On the long term the new owner will win due to increase in land prices (if it is not now it will be in the future).

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
Inlaws work 32 rai of rice; not making much profit this year, if any; however, will not be destitute, either. 

Several years ago, I pushed them to pay off of their loans and I.O.U.'s, until they were all paid in full; so now, the inlaws really don't owe anything.  Much better shape than most, by far.
Own up Bill..........I guess you ,as you are such a generous guy paid it all off!!

Offline BillH52

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »

Own up Bill..........I guess you ,as you are such a generous guy paid it all off!!
Generous?  Thought you knew me better than that. 
When it was all said and done - the grand total of what they owed was $2000.00; and yes, I included it in the the official marriage settlement.  That was a win-win deal.  Wife's family would rather go without eating than to ask for money. 
I am currently funding my step daughters college costs.  Our house in the village (along with the remodeling and expansion project currently underway) was paid for by my wife's income from her work while in the States plus interest income from a few local loans she has funded.   

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 05:11:08 AM »
Bill,I was only dangling out a little bait. character3

Offline BillH52

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 07:25:33 AM »

What you do best.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »

What you do best.

I concur, Nookie is a Master Baiter. 

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 07:49:51 AM »

What you do best.

I concur, Nookie is a Master Baiter. 

Keith why not just say Nookie is a wanker!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick