{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Permanent Importation of Motorcycle  (Read 6428 times)

Offline M1Tanker

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Permanent Importation of Motorcycle
« on: October 07, 2016, 04:42:59 PM »
I recently completed the permanent importation of my motorcycle (2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure) into Thailand.  I also obtained the green registration book and Thai license plate.  The process was long and required a lot of paperwork.

Here are some recommended questions to answer prior to starting an attempt to import a motorcycle into Thailand:
Are you trying to permanently import your motorcycle?
What kind of visa will you be coming to Thailand on?
How well documented is your motorcycle? All original sales documentation? All registration documents? Motorcycle driver's licenses to include expired and international drivers licenses?

There are two Thai government agencies that one needs to interact with in order to permanently import a motorcycle into Thailand:
1. Department of Foreign Trade within the Ministry of Commerce (NOTE: An import license must be obtained as well as an import permit for the motorcycle.)
2. Customs Department (http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+)
3. (NOTE: I did contact the Thai Industrial Standards Institute and they informed me that because I was importing a used/second hand motorcycle they did not play a role in the importation process.)

I did have to pay import duties and the motorcycle was depreciated in accordance with the formula that can be found in the Thai Customs link above.  The cost wasn't zero baht but it was considerably less than a new or used equivalent BMW.

Once I completed the importation, I then took that paperwork to my local Department of Transport.  I filled out more paperwork and paid a small processing fee.  Weeks later I received my green registration book and license plate.

AlI personnel that I interacted with at all of the aforementioned Thai government agencies were professional and ethical.  I will point out that many of the personnel in these offices are not completely familiar with permanently importing a motorcycle because they just don't see it happen that often. Patience, thoroughness, and professional determination are required.  I found that researching the process online, asking a lot of questions, and communicating with each office in person or online to be effective.  I started the process over a year prior to shipping my motorcycle.

Offline Ahab

• Active member on the right way
  • Mostly right, just ask me
Re: Permanent Importation of Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
Great post with good information. When I read the title I was expecting to hear that you were either just asking for information or had tried and failed to get it imported. So it can be done (under the right circumstances.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »
I believe the term most exemplified by this post is:

perseverance

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 06:35:02 AM »
Great post with good information. When I read the title I was expecting to hear that you were either just asking for information or had tried and failed to get it imported. So it can be done (under the right circumstances.
So know you know about importing those 2nd boats you use as shoes!

Offline Ahab

• Active member on the right way
  • Mostly right, just ask me
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:23:34 AM »

I have decided the import duties are too high and I will be going barefoot when we arrive in February of 2017.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:14:20 AM »

I have decided the import duties are too high and I will be going barefoot when we arrive in February of 2017.

[/quote
Quote from: Ahab link=topic=8982.msg60
699#msg60699 date=1476120214

Nice one mate

Offline Pichai

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 10:40:44 PM »
I am pleased to have provided water pumps, water filters, a water tank and installation services to M1 tanker. He has also allowed my family owned builders merchant to offer him several Bosch Tools and a work bench. Mr. Tum of my power tools staff was very taken with the BMW that M1 tanker imported from Germany to Thailand. I have personal experience in the challenges importing solar panels from China for a Buriram business. Without a doubt M1 Tanker has imported a beautiful Big Bike without falling prey to the pitfalls that plague importing a vehicle. Congratulations.

Offline M1Tanker

• Contributor with future
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »
I am pleased to have provided water pumps, water filters, a water tank and installation services to M1 tanker. He has also allowed my family owned builders merchant to offer him several Bosch Tools and a work bench. Mr. Tum of my power tools staff was very taken with the BMW that M1 tanker imported from Germany to Thailand. I have personal experience in the challenges importing solar panels from China for a Buriram business. Without a doubt M1 Tanker has imported a beautiful Big Bike without falling prey to the pitfalls that plague importing a vehicle. Congratulations.

Thank you very much and many thanks to Bob and the whole Ruangsangthai team. I am very pleased with the products and services that you provided.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick