{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Free beer  (Read 3216 times)

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Free beer
« on: May 17, 2016, 04:37:36 PM »
Well .... it is said that  "a laugh each day keeps the Grim Reaper away" ..... or was that "an apple a day something something"

Whatever .... today I've had a couple of really good chuckles.

First was this morning trying to kid myself that I can hit a golf ball like Tiger Woods. Never mind .... he's probably never tried to tame the Buriram Golf Course, and he most likely gets his golf balls for free anyway.

Second chuckle was this arvo watching the afternoon TV news. A story, with video footage, of a road accident involving a fully laden semi trailer truck, loaded to the hilt with cartons of beer bottles.

Was in Thailand somewhere. Not sure which Province. Doesn't really matter, but I'm pretty sure it was not outside my place.

The load was spilled all over the road. Plenty of broken bottles .... but shitloads of unbroken bottles also. Video footage showed dozens of locals busily looting the load. (Looting is such a harsh word ... maybe pilfering is better  :biggrin:  )

People were scurrying around with the biggest baskets they could find, piling in the beer bottles. Several cops stood watching nearby, presumeably to make sure there were no scuffles amongst the looters.

When my laughter had subsided, I asked my better half "can they do that .... steal all that booze ?"

"No problem" was the answer.

"It's food ... anyone can take when truck fall over."

WTF   :D

We then had a little discussion about what "products" are fair game at an accident site.

Apparently any food products, including live animals (such as chickens on their way to the CP factory), fruit, vegetables, soft drinks, beer, etc etc ...... or pretty much anything edible that you might find in Makro is fair game.

So too, all building products including sand, timber, steel ......

I asked about the "lootablity" of the gold truck, the bank money van, or the 4 buffaloes in the back of a pickup.

"No ..... cannot," was the stern reply.

The amusing aspect for me about all this, was yet again, another side of Thai culture that appears perfectly normal to locals, but is completely upside down from what I've been bought up with.

To me ... looting an upturned truck is simply wrong.

But then ..... what do I know ?  "You farang, you not understand Thai people."     :D

Offline Ahab

• Active member on the right way
  • Mostly right, just ask me
Re: Free beer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Maybe were not stealing or pilfering, but just concerned citizens helping the authorities clean up the scene of an accident?

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick