{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Taxi fares in Buriram  (Read 4941 times)

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Taxi fares in Buriram
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:23:37 AM »
Had an interesting conversation with the better half last night about taxi fares in Buriram.

Seems that every time we use a taxi, she negotiates a fixed fare before we hop in. When I suggest that maybe he should just turn on the meter instead, I'm assured that "no .... this is Buriram, not same as BKK .... taxi not use meter in Buriram"

Hmmm ... she's lived here all her life, so I'm going with the flow that she knows what she's talking about.

My reply that the taxi has TAXIMETER on the roof, and a meter mounted on the dashboard, is wasted breath.

Now I know that taxi fares are ridiculously cheap in Thailand compared to what most of us were used to paying back in our home country, and we're only talking about a few dollars here, but I am quite curious to know .....

Has anyone used a taxi in Buriram and paid by meter fare, rather than fixed price ? Talking about local trips, not long distance.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: Taxi fares in Buriram
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:46:45 AM »
The taxis in Buriram are governed by the same laws as everywhere else. There is a meter there and it must be used if the customer asks.

If traffic is heavy then it is sometimes better to negotiate a price as the meter will continue to run even if the car is stationary.

When I lived near to Bangkok I knew a couple of taxi drivers. They both said that they like to pick up expats. They know that the expat has been told many stories, true or not, about Taxi scams and that they always ask for meter. Canny Thais will often negotiate a price as they know they are likely to get stuck in a traffic jam.

If you use a Buriram taxi at a decent time of day then always best to ask to switch on the meter. I know of quite a few people that have arrived at the bus station early morning and always ask for and get a metered fare.

Offline Wozza

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Taxi fares in Buriram
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 01:54:26 PM »
I used a taxi for the first time from Buriram central to travel 8 klm (no traffic) and completely forgot about the meter when i got to my place he says 600 baht, after what seemed an eternity of silence with  a two way stare i said no! and pulled out a 100 baht note , he then took it and that was that,

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick