{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: How to get your first Thai Drivers Licence  (Read 15428 times)

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: How to get your first Thai Drivers Licence
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 08:30:24 PM »
Intact definition, not altered, broken, or impaired; remaining uninjured, sound, or whole; untouched; unblemished.
Quiet.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 08:54:03 PM »
Good spot. F*&$ I wish my life was as exciting as yours.

You did miss another one, mind.

I usually post using my phone which has predictive text. Don't always go back to check.

When I am helping people I'm sure they don't mind the odd mistake so long as the information is accurate.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:56:55 PM by Starman »

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 10:09:52 PM »
Well you seem to take a great deal of pleasure in pointing out other peoples' minor mistakes so I thought I would review your posts a bit more intensively. Quite so.

You still stalking me on Thaivisa? That must be interesting

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 04:37:31 AM »
Another interesting topic sidelined by childish mud slinging, well done lads.

Off topic, my wife has told me that I can have my name in the family book, what are the benefits, if any?
I do not yet live here officially as I still work on ships and am in Thailand 4 months a year (split up in stays of 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks). When I enter the kingdom, I do so on the 28 day visa waiver (or whatever it is called).
I do not have a Thai driving license or International permit, I use my UK license and have never had a problem with that.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 05:58:01 AM »
No mudslinging on my part, Adam. I have posted 3 informative posts here. I will attempt to post another.

You can only have your name on the blue book, in your own right, if you have PR.

If you are only staying here for max 28 days at a time then I would stay as you are.

Certain offices wont even consider you for a yellow book or a drivers licence if you are on a visa exempt entry.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:00:58 AM by Starman »

Offline Adam

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 07:13:47 AM »
Cheers Steve, the land office in Prakhonchai knows my wife and I and say they can put my name in the family book, is this not the case?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »
I have never seen it happen. There have been many discussions that I have been involved with about this subject. I even went to the office myself to clarify.

Expats need to apply for a yellow book.

Offline Tod Daniels

• Contributor with future
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »
OFF-TOPIC:
You can only have your name on the blue book, in your own right, if you have PR.

Umm, you sure about that info Starman?
Unless I'm mistaken, the blue book is exclusively for thai nationals or people who acquired thai citizenship..

AFAIK: P/R status doesn't get your name in a blue house book. I know a couple P/R holders here in thailand who bought condos and the blue book has NO name in them. They get a yellow book instead.

FWIW: Foreigners can and do get their own "yellow housebook" all the time, although with that being said, different land offices have different criteria.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
OFF-TOPIC:

Umm, you sure about that info Starman?
Unless I'm mistaken, the blue book is exclusively for thai nationals or people who acquired thai citizenship..

AFAIK: P/R status doesn't get your name in a blue house book. I know a couple P/R holders here in thailand who bought condos and the blue book has NO name in them. They get a yellow book instead.

FWIW: Foreigners can and do get their own "yellow housebook" all the time, although with that being said, different land offices have different criteria.

Yes, I am sure.

I was told this personally by someone who has PR.

Offline Tod Daniels

• Contributor with future
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »
It appears you are correct Starman..
Foreigners having permanent residency can be included a Blue House Book ..
I stand humbly erected.. err corrected... :)

Offline fishy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
Back onto getting your first drivers license. Just got mine and was amazed at how easy it was once on the right track.. My local village Non Suwan could not help.. Went to Nang Rong visited the local Dept of Land Transport the missus spoke to the desk ladies with what was required.... Very helpful.. Of and get Passport photo's taken 150bht ...Need 2... Visit the Doctor and get medical.. Need Passport.. (story there... walked in talked to receptionist... need to see Doc for license medical... Blood pressure rising already in anticipation.... Takes passport  I sit down waiting for examination..) ...Receptionist walks out asks for 30bht...In the car when driving off with piece of paper in Thai that obviously say's I am alive.. I said to my missus that was easy the Doctor must have been Busy and could not see me!.. Missus responds with the receptionist was the Doctor!! TiT...   Off to local Cop shop the spouse verifying I live at our Bahn.. Need to bring two photo's..1 for car license 1 for bike.. Need passport... Back down the road many photocopies of Passport.. I think six of front page.... 6 of entry stamp.. 6 of Departure card.... 1 each of police verification... Copies of spouses house book.... Back to the  Dept of Land Transport...

People at front desk remember fellang with smiley face....Luck has it that the number of people in queue has dropped from about 250 to maybe 40.. Thinks to myself that Kun Thai likes to eat food and sleep around midday and not a bad time to visit hungry Government workers?

Was put through the perception test of distance...color test ...reaction test.... took about 5 minutes and in reality it is no different to going to the amusement parlour and having some fun... You could not fail the test even if you tried...

I had an international drivers license which I gave them copies of also.. I'm not sure how much weight that pulled in the application.. I had my car/bike licence by midday... That includes sitting down for a feed whilst running around town doing the application stuff..

I must say thanks to Smooth for starting this post and giving me a heads up with some good direction on the application........

Offline BillH52

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »
Your International Drivers Permit saved you from sitting thru a 3 hour Thai only class; a 40(?) question test written in pigeon English and actual driving tests for each, car and motorcycle.  The IDP is certainly worth the small price you paid in your home country!

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 10:44:15 AM »
The sitting of tests and videos seems to be hit and miss. I recently renewed my 5 year licence and had to watch the video.

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
I had to watch about 30 minutes of it.  Then they sent me for the "written" test, back the next day for driving test.  It went pretty smoothly.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick