{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Newbie questions on Non-Immigrant O and retirement visa  (Read 21843 times)

Offline buckwhelk

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Newbie questions on Non-Immigrant O and retirement visa
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 01:02:07 PM »
@admin/mods   It's about time this thread was closed, isn't it....

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 02:45:10 PM »
Thanks Urleft.

Your inability to answer some simple questions just highlights everything.

You are starting to troll.

And your inability to ask a coherent questions highlights your ignorance. 

And remember, you were the one that called me out on this thread, I had been content to just ignore you, but it was fun to put your ignorance, contradictions and inaccuracies on display. 

Here is your question:  "Explain the process you went through when you arrived at the airport ( also known as a border control). How many days entry did you get?"   

And my response was which airport what time?  Did you mean my last international flight into Thailand?   You try to nail me for in your mind using a wrong term, but then you can't even provide enough specifics to ask a relevant question.   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:56:33 PM by urleft »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
Once again....where do expats need to go to get a new visa?

How many days did you get stamped in for when you arrived in Thailand prior to starting your visa process?

Did you say you arrived on a tourist visa?

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »
Meanwhile in Buriram..........?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »
Yeah. Sorry to other members.

I have tried to help with terminology. I have given, and been thanked for, good advice to the op.

Just trying to help.

Offline Tod Daniels

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »
Wow! This topic went side-ways pretty fast...Especially for this forum!

Given the thai government and especially the thai immigration offices and officers continual mis-use of terminology regarding; visas, extensions of stays (and securing a NEW extension of stay every year NOT "renew visa" like they always say), I'd weigh in they aren't the "go-to" people as far as what's what terminology wise no matter what they ask you to write on their form.

Case in point, there is NO such animal as either a "retirement visa" OR an extension of stay based on "retirement", no matter what the officer tells you in broken engrish OR stamps in your passport in english. The immigration rule which covers that NEVER uses the thai word retire (เกษียณ) in fact the wording is "in the instance of living out the end of your life" (กรณีใช้ชีวิตในบั้นปลาย) and one of the criteria is you must be over 50..

Also you NEVER EVER renew either a visa OR an extension of stay, period, end of story. You apply for and receive a new one every year because they are only good for a maximum of a year at a time. Now, your yearly extensions of stay could be "daisy-chained together" but every year you apply for and get a new one.

It is true when applying for a re-entry permit using a TM.8 AND if you're on a yearly extension of stay based on being over 50 you do mark that you previously held a Non-O visa because one of the criteria to get a yearly extension of stay is that you held a Non-O visa..

Man, usually you guys are pretty civil to each other.. I'm not used to a "who can pi** further in the sandbox" sort of thing on here...

As you were, carry on..

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 07:32:30 PM »

Given the thai government and especially the thai immigration offices and officers continual mis-use of terminology regarding; visas, extensions of stays (and securing a NEW extension of stay every year NOT "renew visa" like they always say), I'd weigh in they aren't the "go-to" people as far as what's what terminology wise no matter what they ask you to write on their form.

Case in point, there is NO such animal as either a "retirement visa" OR an extension of stay based on "retirement", no matter what the officer tells you in broken engrish OR stamps in your passport in english. The immigration rule which covers that NEVER uses the thai word retire (เกษียณ) in fact the wording is "in the instance of living out the end of your life" (กรณีใช้ชีวิตในบั้นปลาย) and one of the criteria is you must be over 50..

Also you NEVER EVER renew either a visa OR an extension of stay, period, end of story. You apply for and receive a new one every year because they are only good for a maximum of a year at a time. Now, your yearly extensions of stay could be "daisy-chained together" but every year you apply for and get a new one.

It is true when applying for a re-entry permit using a TM.8 AND if you're on a yearly extension of stay based on being over 50 you do mark that you previously held a Non-O visa because one of the criteria to get a yearly extension of stay is that you held a Non-O visa..

Man, usually you guys are pretty civil to each other.. I'm not used to a "who can pi** further in the sandbox" sort of thing on here...

As you were, carry on..

+1

Offline buckwhelk

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
Yeah. Sorry to other members.

I have tried to help with terminology. I have given, and been thanked for, good advice to the op.

Just trying to help.
IMHO you are one of the most knowledgeable people to speak to on BE regarding visas and extensions of stay.
Mr. Urleft has also provided valuable info to help others as well.
Shame to see all your joint efforts are being obfuscated by some "handbag @ 20 paces" bullshit....
Just my humble opinion of course...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:24:23 PM by buckwhelk »

Offline buckwhelk

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 08:33:21 PM »

As you were, carry on..
Tod, where is your designated immigration office....
Why should we not say that our extension of stay is not based on retirement since this is what is stamped in our passport? Especially since a lot of people are not aware and don't really care about the exact wording of the police order.
I think you are just confusing things further...
Just MHO of course...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:35:57 PM by buckwhelk »

Offline Bobbi

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2016, 02:14:41 PM »
Not sure why they won't extend. Any entry can be extended by 60 days if you are married in Thailand.

Still, seems you are not going to get it.

Sounds like you don't have time for an extension based on retirement. How long do you have left on your permission to stay in your passport?

You can go to the border at ChongJom.

You need your passport and one passport photo. You need to leave Thailand. Get a Cambodian visa. That will cost 1500 baht. You can then stamp in and out of Cambodia, they will ask you for a further 300 baht as you are not staying 24 hours. When you come back into Thailand you will get a 15 day permission yo stay stamp.

For future reference sound like a retirement extension with a multi re entry permit will suit you. Can you get a multiple entry O visa in Switzerland? If you can that would be much easier.
Thanks for the detailed info.

I will go to ChongJom about 3 days before my visa expires.
And yes! Next time I will get a multiple entry O visa. That looks like the most simple way for me at the moment.

Offline Tod Daniels

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »
That a lot of people "aren't aware" of what the thai version of the regulations say (as opposed to the engrish translation) is unfortunate. :( However, that a lot of people "don't care" is down right sad.  :ohmy:

Honestly, where my designated immigration office is shouldn't even factor into it. Unfortunately, because each office runs like a little kingdom of its own, it does though. I use Bangkok, not the fiefdom and law unto itself out there in Nakhon Nowhere Surin known as KCI.  sick1

The inter-web is clogged with posts on every thailand related forum filled with mis-information, wrong terminology, totally erroneous advice, etc. All I'm tryin' to do is get foreigners on the same page. I know it's a futile effort, kinda like trying to push a rope.. :o

I did not mean to confuse things further, only clear up the use of the wrong terminology concerning visas & extensions of stay here in thailand.. ;D

On the topic of the O/P: I too don't know why they wouldn't grant a 60 day extension of stay for "visiting family".. At least in Bangkok, all you need are the two marriage documents which you get at the Amphur when you register your marriage (Kor Ror 2 & 3), a copy of your thai wife's house book (thabian baan), her thai i/d, 1900baht and you get 60 days. Sheesh, they'll even give you a 60 day extension if you're listed on the birth certificate for your child too, whether you're married or not!

As an aside; Now when ever I call KCI to ask about their hare-brained policies, as soon as one particular officer recognizes my voice, they hang up and then the line is busy for a good 30 minutes. I guess they don't cotton to being questioned about their interpretation of the rules..

"We now return to your regularly scheduled slagging match, already in progress."  :)

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 09:16:52 AM »
I think we should declare this 'Slag Free Friday' and all be friends!  Maybe not as entertaining for some however.

Offline Bobbi

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
For future reference
I went to Chong Chom with my wife the other day, and this is the story...

Must park the car about 500m before the border  :-\
Good business for taxis  bike038: 20 baht to go and 20 again for coming back.
Or you can walk and sweat  :P

The moment you get off the motorbike, there's a guy who "knows all".
We thanked him and went on our own, he followed us through the Thai exit gate, where he finally gave up.
Had to stand in line quite a while. The right line seems to be for Cambodian people only.
My wife got 2 Arrival/Departure cards and I got none.
After exiting Thailand, you cross the place to enter Cambodia (they drive on the right side!).
1500 baht for the Visa and 300 for my wife (She has a passport - don't know if an ID is ok too).
Now you can take a taxi to go visit a near market or whatever.
We crossed the street to exit Cambodia again - no waiting in line, maybe its a matter of time of day.
Crossed the place to enter Thailand again on the left side of the street.
My wife did'nt need any of her Departure/Arrival cards, but I had to fill one now.
Luckily there were almost no people so waiting in line 2 times wasnt a problem.

After about 45 minutes I had my 15 day Visa.

Bring a bottle of water and a small towel  :biggrin:
Hope this is helpful to somebody  ;D

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2016, 12:42:45 PM »
The 300 baht was not for your wife.

Cambodian immigration states that you must stay at least 24 hours. The 300 baht payment is to allow you to leave the same day.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 01:27:34 PM »
Sharman is 100% correct. Also there is a car park just before departure on your left that you can park at for 50 baht.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick