{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: NEW LOCATIONS HIGHWAY 24 SPEED TRAPS  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: NEW LOCATIONS HIGHWAY 24 SPEED TRAPS
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 08:13:39 AM »
^ 70mph on motorways in the UK where you don't get Somchia on his Motorbike flying out of a side turning without looking.There is a big difference  :biggrin:

So maybe there are no bad drivers in UK?

At 70mph it is very easy to be aware of what is around you. Do you seriously believe that anyone travels to Bangkok at a steady 55mph?

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
^ 70mph on motorways in the UK where you don't get Somchia on his Motorbike flying out of a side turning without looking.There is a big difference  :biggrin:

At 70mph it is very easy to be aware of what is around you. Do you seriously believe that anyone travels to Bangkok at a steady 55mph?

Driving recently in the UK was a relative pleasure. You felt, by and large, that you were amongst equals. Driving standards, knowledge, awareness, courtesy etc are much greater than we experience in Thailand. The enforcement of speed limits, and penalties, are much more severe and this tends to lead to a greater observance of speed limits and other rules (like not driving your motorbike/pick up against the flow of traffic!).

Was it as much fun ?  Not really. In Thailand you can obtain a perverse pleasure from having to deal with variety of daily hazards that are presented to you on the Thai roads - those challenges are the same whether you are driving 10kmph or 120kmph. Driving 'recklessly' tends to make it more difficult to respond to some of those challenges.

I agree with Starman that 120 kmph is not unsafe on suitable roads with a qualified driver at the wheel. Those suitable roads are becoming more frequent with the huge improvement in Thailand's road network over the last 10 years. There is little point in dualling the 24 and retaining a 56 mph speed limit. In the UK ANY dual carriageway carries a normal speed limit of 70 mph. I see no reason should not adopt the same concept - and can use variable speed controls where appropriate (as it does on the Chachoengsao section of the no7 motorway).

Greater attention should be applied to proper training and testing of Thai drivers, together with regulating the quality of some the heaps of rust that travel the Thai roads.

As an aside, a member of the BiB flagged me down of the no2 road in Korat for doing 124 kmph. He said "120 OK, 121 not OK" - whether that was the general degree of latitude they permit on that road I can't say.

Offline Jackie-boy

• Contributor with future
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »

The point I was trying to make was on the UK's Motorways they are fenced off so people can drive at 70mph in relative safety .

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »

90 kph all the way to Bangkok. Yes ... that's me.

It's relaxing, economical, and very legal. No need to worry about speed traps etc.

No big deal for me that it takes 1 hour longer.

Even at this speed, every trip provides more than enough hairy moments on the highway.

Most expats are "senior age" and our reaction times are much slower than when we were younger men, even if we think we have the necessary talent to speed.

Yes ... car technology is wonderful, and even the most piss weak little banger can easily exceed the speed limit, but speed limits are imposed by every country in the world to ensure some level of commonsense and safety on the road.

For me, there is no good justifiable arguement for knowingly exceeding the speed limit. It's arrogant, and it often exposes other road users to dangerous situations. Apart from that ... it shows a contempt for the law.

oooops ... have to readjust my halo now     :P

Offline Jackie-boy

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
Again I agree with Smooth2   biggrin1

The facts are , higher speeds cause more accidents. 

Next we will have people saying that the alcohol limits for drink-driving is to lows as they can drive fine on 5 big bottles of Chang Export  alcoholic

:biggrin:

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »
Again I agree with Smooth2   biggrin1

The facts are , higher speeds cause more accidents. 

Next we will have people saying that the alcohol limits for drink-driving is to lows as they can drive fine on 5 big bottles of Chang Export  alcoholic

I would argue that poor driving (often coupled with high speeds and/or alcohol) causes more accidents.

Have you never sped down to Pattaya Jackie Boy ?

Offline davureborn

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
I don't think it is about people thinking they are above the law or are a budding F1 driver. I also think there is a big difference between speeding an being reckless.

Let's use UK as an example. The national speed limit on a major road is 70 mph. That, in the correct conditions is neither fast or dangerous. 70mph converts to about 112kph. With new cars the way they are with comfort and technology, and the way the Thai roads are getting wider it is not difficult to be over the Thai national limit, which is only about 55mph.

I tested this today. I was coming past Thai Watsadu The road is long, straight and wide. I looked at my speedo when I felt I was probably going about 90 kph. I was doing close on 105. It was neither dangerous or reckless. Those other cars passing me as if I was standing still were possibly being dangerous. Simple stats would point to their likely nationality.

... and of course everyone else on the road will also be driving in a reasonable, rational and predictable fashion. One unwritten law of the road that isn't followed here is that you have the right to assume that other people will be driving rationally.
 I have had cows galloping across the road when I was driving 100K/h and there was no way I could have predicted that, they just decided to go. Big modern cars give you the illusion of safety, many people are unaware of their limits and let their cars influence their driving.
50 years of driving without an accident (apart from one police car, wasn't my fault!) under my belt.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 01:57:08 PM »
I don't think it is about people thinking they are above the law or are a budding F1 driver. I also think there is a big difference between speeding an being reckless.

Let's use UK as an example. The national speed limit on a major road is 70 mph. That, in the correct conditions is neither fast or dangerous. 70mph converts to about 112kph. With new cars the way they are with comfort and technology, and the way the Thai roads are getting wider it is not difficult to be over the Thai national limit, which is only about 55mph.

I tested this today. I was coming past Thai Watsadu The road is long, straight and wide. I looked at my speedo when I felt I was probably going about 90 kph. I was doing close on 105. It was neither dangerous or reckless. Those other cars passing me as if I was standing still were possibly being dangerous. Simple stats would point to their likely nationality.

... and of course everyone else on the road will also be driving in a reasonable, rational and predictable fashion. One unwritten law of the road that isn't followed here is that you have the right to assume that other people will be driving rationally.
 I have had cows galloping across the road when I was driving 100K/h and there was no way I could have predicted that, they just decided to go. Big modern cars give you the illusion of safety, many people are unaware of their limits and let their cars influence their driving.
50 years of driving without an accident (apart from one police car, wasn't my fault!) under my belt.

Cows on the side of the road (like unattended young children and drunken Thais) are surely part of the driver awareness that makes you adjust your speed accordingly.

It is legal to drive at 50 kmph in the villages but I will not do so, especially if there children or other hazards around.

Offline jivvy

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »

Ohh , do tell

Offline davureborn

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 03:03:02 PM »

Ohh , do tell

What's that about? One of the few things I am good at is driving. I drove my dad's articulated trucks around the industrial estate at the age of 17, drove Leicester to Bristol regularly with one truck over night on a Sunday and backed it into a narrow entrance on Monday mornings, drove 30 000Km a year easily in smaller trucks and did some international haulage Switzerland - Italy, Denmark and (only once) the UK. What's your excuse?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:08:37 PM by davureborn »

Offline Jackie-boy

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »
One of the few things I am good at is driving.

Me to !

Driving the Mrs around the bend 

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »

Ohh , do tell

What's that about? One of the few things I am good at is driving. I drove my dad's articulated trucks around the industrial estate at the age of 17, drove Leicester to Bristol regularly with one truck over night on a Sunday and backed it into a narrow entrance on Monday mornings, drove 30 000Km a year easily in smaller trucks and did some international haulage Switzerland - Italy, Denmark and (only once) the UK. What's your excuse?
Wow,I can only sit back in awe!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:04 PM »
Well yesterday I drove 680 miles in 11 hours, had my cruise control set a lot of the time on about 75 mph.  Very smooth easy travel until I hit major cities.  But seemed to have groups of cars that just had to travel in the passing lane.   bike038

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick