{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: 3G Providers question  (Read 25216 times)

Offline mahdam

• Contributor on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: 3G Providers question
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
Those who already have a TOT tower installed on their property....how much is the monthly charge for the Internet service?
We already have a 25 metre tower which was installed by a company called PVS in Buriram. We went with them because another fella in the village used them and got a good service.
To date (  2 yrs service) our internet has been good and only drops out if there are thunder storms. However, we paid 42,000 baht for the tower and a further 7, 000 for the dish and cable to house. We also pay 1,700 a month for the Internet service so by no means a cheap option.
We do of course own the tower so it may now be worth looking at alternative providers depending on reliability of service and monthly costs.
Those who already have a TOT tower installed on their property....how much is the monthly charge for the Internet service?
We already have a 25 metre tower which was installed by a company called PVS in Buriram. We went with them because another fella in the village used them and got a good service.
To date (  2 yrs service) our internet has been good and only drops out if there are thunder storms. However, we paid 42,000 baht for the tower and a further 7, 000 for the dish and cable to house. We also pay 1,700 a month for the Internet service so by no means a cheap option.
We do of course own the tower so it may now be worth looking at alternative providers depending on reliability of service and monthly costs.

We paid 38K for a 25 Mtr mast, including all wiring inside and outside of the house, Router also included.
A fully working system.
We also have the facility to have a house phone on the same system but haven't bothered with that.
For 10 Mb, unlimited downloads, it costs 650 something Bht per month.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »
Picture of the tower in action, in total the tower is around 17m high

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »
Thanks Mike, Sounds like a good deal. Think I will make enquiries with TOT and see what service is like for our area and if will hook up to existing tower.

One thing I do recall and had forgotten when I posted earlier. Our monthly is so high because I signed up for a premium service. Allegedly, we get priority of the signal is low. I went with this because at the time I was in the UK and making daily video calls between here and there. From memory I believe the regular service was still 1,000 THB a month so still more that TOT.
It may be that TOT don't cover this area but on the face of it I think I'm being fleeced.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
My understanding of TOT Winet is its OK if your 10km OR less on a straight line to their main tower but if your over 10 km you'll be in trouble.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »
TOT just left, and everything up and running.

Together with the tower they also installed a TP-Link router complete with wireless, so Internet and wireless up and running.

Just watched a Youtube Video without Buffering, for speedtest results you have to wait a bit more as I am on iPad and the best (and independent) speed test (IMO) are Java based.

Will report back.

Edit:- I am from the tower a total of 3km and the guys who installed it said, that the Main towers are installed everywhere now and a total of 4000 customer WiNet towers are up and running in the Buriram area

Edit 2: Total Price I paid for everything (incl Tower and Wireless Router and cabling inside house) was 17500 THB, with a monthly bill coming for +/- 700 THB.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:29:06 PM by iammike »

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »
My understanding of TOT Winet is its OK if your 10km OR less on a straight line to their main tower but if your over 10 km you'll be in trouble.

I think that may well be the problem for us. My belief is that we are one of only two houses that have Internet in our particular village and we both have quite a substantial 25m tower (very different from the picture Mike has posted hence price difference for set up) with a dish on top. Will make enquiries but suspect I am stuck with what we have for now.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

I think that may well be the problem for us. My belief is that we are one of only two houses that have Internet in our particular village and we both have quite a substantial 25m tower (very different from the picture Mike has posted hence price difference for set up) with a dish on top. Will make enquiries but suspect I am stuck with what we have for now.

When Winet first came out TOT did have a dish but as time went on they junked it. The dish gave a false advertisement that it was satellite. Winet works on microwave  theory. Thats why Mikes look as it does. If he is under 10 km he should be OK.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »
Freddy,

Dont worry I had the same worries as you, but the guys said to me that Main towers are getting installed everywhere.

To my utter surprise I am only 3km from the tower but the guy (in the same village) who had WiNet installed around 3 years ago was switched to the Krasang tower which is around 10km (as the crow flies) that's why the huge price and size difference of his tower.

So talk to the Guys who install it (via the main Buriram TOT office) and find out how much you are from the tower.

My initial guesses where completely wrong as I though I would be connected to either Lam Duan or Krasang but actually I am connected to the tower in the next village down.

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »
It is very erratic, isn't it? We live in a small village way off the main road and i can usually watch UK TV and download films without a problem.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 04:48:51 PM »
Absolutely no complaints with the service we get. I stream to TV and iPad with no problem. Just very expensive at 1700 per month when compared to 650 a month for what sounds like a similar standard of service.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 06:25:24 PM »
It is very erratic, isn't it? We live in a small village way off the main road and i can usually watch UK TV and download films without a problem.

One of the ToT guys said, you can compare it with True Visions when it's raining hard and it's Windy you can have problems with your connection but after the weather settles down it should be up and running again in a matter of minutes. I uploaded my days worth of Pictures to OneDrive and that was done very quick (each picture averaging 2 Mb), so at the moment I am very happy. Tomorrow (if I  have the time) will take my laptop with me to he site and do some speed tests and will report back.

Offline mahdam

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
Have been trying to post some pic's of our mast. But keep getting knocked back because the files are to big.
And with my limited knowledge of computers I have not found a way to re-size them.  brick1
Anyway It is very different to yours Mike, and that will probably be the reason for the difference in price.

Offline mahdam

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »
One last crack at this resizing.

Offline mahdam

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »
YES!!!!!  party6

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 07:58:26 PM »
Good for you that you managed to do it.

Applause.

This mast looks almost exactly the same as the mast the other Guy in my village has (however I think yours is higher) and that indeed explains the price difference.

My "mast" was up in just 1.5 hours or less which I don't think was the case with yours :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:03:26 PM by iammike »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM