{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Retirement Extension for Dummies ver 2015  (Read 141447 times)

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
Re: Retirement Extension for Dummies ver 2015
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
I see the BE prolific poster has crawled from his cave.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »
I returned to KCI for my retirement extension this morning following the home visit which took place before Christmas. Visa extension granted no problem however there was an interesting little twist. The IO re-checked all the paperwork and then another IO requested that I follow him to an outdoor seating area adjacent to the toilets. There I was introduced to his boss ( he stated head of KCI and was in civilian clothes) who checked passport and then gave a small speech about the consequences should any foreigner on a retirement visa be found working in Thialand. He requested assurance that I fully understood I could not work and stated that they were aware of many foreigners who ran businesses in wives names. He stated that the Immigration Office employed detectives to check on this and anyone discovered working would leave the country permanently. Another gent there for his visa got the same speech. Wives were requested to be present also. The above was delivered on Thai and and English.
After that I was returned to the main office and passport stamped. Then waited another 45 mins for my re- entry permit to be processed but they were kind enough to do the photocopy of the new retirement extension to add to my already completed pack.
Total time 1hr 30min and all quite friendly and polite.
That's that out the way for another year.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2016, 07:35:05 AM »
That could open a whole can of worms for some.  There needs to be a detailed definition of what constitutes work.  Meaning does investing (meaning setting up your wife's business) and then monitoring the operation constitute work? 

Offline buckwhelk

• Contributor with future
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2016, 08:06:09 AM »
I was also @ Kap Choeng yesterday to get my retirement extension stamp. My experience was identical to that of Freddy in his post above, except that once processing started, I never left the main office. I got the same speech from the top man - I left Mrs B at home. The girls also did my photocopy and never asked for money...Quite painless.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:07:44 AM by buckwhelk »

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2016, 10:39:15 AM »
That could open a whole can of worms for some.  There needs to be a detailed definition of what constitutes work.  Meaning does investing (meaning setting up your wife's business) and then monitoring the operation constitute work?

As neither I or my wife operate any kind of business it's not an issue for me. However,  I would hope that for those who do, that providing shall we say the 'Farang Sponsor' , is not observed working on the premises and no income from the business goes to their account then there shouldn't be a problem. Especially if they can show a personal income coming in from a pension or other foreign asset.
I guess a problem may arise should they ask to see evidence on  how the business was funded at start-up and where the money came from but if it was a gift to wife or GF then not sure what they could do.
Anybody's guess really !!

It may also be that the statement that investigators/ detectives are employed  is BS and just a scare tactic.

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
There have been reports of policemen wandering around villages asking about Farangs. both retired and married.
Extract from the list of forbidden occupations, and therefore considered as work in Thailand:
"Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishing excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision;
Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction works;
Woodcarving;
Driving a mechanically propelled carrier or driving a non-mechanically propelled vehicle, (excluding international aircraft piloting)";

All of which I have been 'guilty' of, same as many of us I suppose. So you can scrap the idea of buying a buffalo cart and buffalo.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2016, 12:13:48 PM »
Kap Cheong are certainly making a name for themselves. I personally know of 8 expats who have extended within the last 3 weeks. 3 in Khon Kaen, 2 in Sissaket 1 in Pitsanulok and 2 in Amnat Cheroen. All of them got the extention same day. No house visits, no questions about living arrangements and no need for any additional signatures or witnesses.

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2016, 01:26:04 PM »
. There I was introduced to his boss ( he stated head of KCI and was in civilian clothes) who checked passport and then gave a small speech about the consequences should any foreigner on a retirement visa be found working in Thialand. He requested assurance that I fully understood I could not work and stated that they were aware of many foreigners who ran businesses in wives names. He stated that the Immigration Office employed detectives to check on this and anyone discovered working would leave the country permanently. Another gent there for his visa got the same speech. Wives were requested to be present also. The above was delivered on Thai and and English.

OK, there are a few "big businesses" that I know of that are owned by other than Thai, and they contribute a lot of tax to the economy I am sure.  I wonder what this all means for them, or what the agenda of KCI really is.  Tea money out of the question - (its called Som Tam now....) moneysmile

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2016, 05:09:19 PM »
I think the focus is on those who apply for retirement visas.....ie. Claim to be retired but working. Myself and Noi aren't formally married hence my visa extension has to be retirement and not a marriage extension.
Does anyone know of anyone being given the same speech if their extension is on marriage? I'm assuming those on marriage extensions can still apply for work permits

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
Yes,  you can get a work permit with a marriage visa. 

Offline dundeemk6

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »
I've been doing the retirement extention for 8 years and do occasionally work on my wive's ricepaddies, wash my pick-up and SUV on the street next to ur house in town, entertain some foreigners on my porch in front of the house ... this could all be considered as "working" and so one can be thrown out the lovely LOS.
So I think I'm goong to switch to marriage visum and extentins. One this visa one can help his missus - the proper response to the IO would be : " mate, if I don't execute her orders, no nookie for me !!! "

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2016, 07:03:26 PM »
I actually said to the Head IO that I only work on our own house and garden. He said, this no problem as long as you're not getting paid. His emphasis was on not earning any money in Thailand. I really don't think that normal stuff like truck washing, home decoration, own garden work etc is a problem. It was very clear that they are focusing on those who are earning income from businesses registered in wife/gf name. I'm currently landscaping our garden and was in the process of doing this when my IO visit took place.i was actually Laing stone when they arrived. There was no suggestion that I should pay a Thai worker to do something I can do for myself. I just can't do it for others and get paid.

Offline BillH52

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2016, 08:32:58 PM »
Heard of a farang who 'sponsored' his wife's bar operation.  Only thing the guy was seen 'doing' was sitting at the bar visiting with patrons.  That was considered 'working' and the guy lost his visa. 

One little caveat re Non-O family besides being able to apply for a work permit; the funds/income requirement is half that of Retirement Visa.  Not a big deal in most cases; however, it would be half the amount of money sitting around aging and NOT working for you.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2016, 08:40:30 PM »
Bill, did this happen in Buriram ?

Was the guy grassed up. or targeted by immigration ?

I didn't do much more when I had Coffee Corner but I never had a sniff from police or immigration, they left us alone.

I do know that it is a bit more cut-throat in, say, Pattaya where I know of a guy, doing some ironing to help his wife in her laundry business, who was threatened with deportation if he continued. He had been grassed up.

Offline BillH52

« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2016, 09:51:49 PM »
Believe that was in Pattaya.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM