{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Bank notes written on  (Read 8151 times)

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Bank notes written on
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:08:17 AM »
A relative visiting from the UK decided not to get a credit card but to bring cash, this despite my advice. For some reason about half of them seem to be written on and what I assume to be a counterfeit checking machine rejects them. we changed some cash for her at an exchange place on Sukhumvit where they didn't have a machine, no problem. Is there a place in Buriram, maybe Korat,  that can do the same? Alternatively anybody fancy trusting a stranger and doing a private exchange deal? A few hundred pounds I think.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
Re: Bank notes written on
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:02:20 AM »
It is nothing to do with a fake check machine........IF the writing is in ink/biro,You will find most of the banks will not accept them either,Pencil seems acceptable!

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:56:19 AM »
It is nothing to do with a fake check machine........IF the writing is in ink/biro,You will find most of the banks will not accept them either,Pencil seems acceptable!

Everywhere else probably will accept them.

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
Thanks. We gave the notes to our son in law yesterday who went to the bank in rice farmers' Sunday clothes and he got refused. I put on my trousers and Sunday shirt and got the business done at Krungsiri bank, very nice reception even though they did take some time checking them.
I think that this was money that had been kept under a bed as a tax free deposit for quite some time.

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
Withdrew some cash from a Bangkok Bank ATM in Big C today, and more than half of the notes had pencil scribbles all over them. So yes ... it does appear that doodling on your money with a pencil is ok.

On a slightly different note. Had a funny experience in Savannakhet a couple of years ago. Thought I'd do the right thing and change 500 baht into kip at the local Farmers Bank. Just so I could pay the cafes in Lao money, which does seem to be appreciated by the locals.

Anyway, the teller girl at the bank happily took my 500 baht, and reached into a cardboard beer box on the stool next to her and pulled out a huge wad of kip, peeled off the appropriate number of notes, and casually threw the remainder back into the box like she was shooting hoops.

The box was absolutely overflowing with wads of kips, and I thought it was quite amusing that a cardboard box sitting on a stool was her cash drawer.

Incidentally, zero paperwork was required. No passport, no signature ... nothing. The whole process took about 2 minutes, and I was given the full exchange rate that was prominately displayed on the illuminated board.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick