{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Top Soil  (Read 16339 times)

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Top Soil
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
Hope this is of some help co co.

http://www.tallyclerk.com/load-volume-scanner/66-truck-measure

runningdog

Thanks Candy - phew! - a bit technical but I will suggest to my 'truckman' that he considers investing in a scanner.

Either that, or we work on his answer of 5 or 6. That wasn't actually his first answer - he changed from 9 after I pointed out the broad dimensions of his truck.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
I have just had 23 trucks delivered. They have come from the Kao Kradong area.

A high stone content, good as I am building up land for a new kitchen.

With the quality of the dirt and the distance it has travelled I have paid 500 baht a truck. Sounds expensive I know but the estimate for dirt dug from a rice field was 35 truck loads.

CoCo...I haven't a clue as to how many cubic metres. Seems that "a truck" is the general measurement for this procedure.

Yep, horses for courses Steve.

I am also going to do a kitchen extension and, at this time, I am not sure where I will look.

Question (just to maintain Candy's interest - plus the other 70 online) - what floor are you putting in - concrete slabs ?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
I am going to get a CPAC truck to deliver ready mixed concrete, to put on top of the wire mesh that will be put down first.

Again I'm not sure of the cubic measurements. The floor space of our new kitchen, which is the major reason for the build, will be approx 11 metres by 7 metres. One CPAC truck, 8000 baht, should do the whole floor.

Offline Mikeh

• Contributor with future
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
Steve   Sorry to have been a bit abrupt to your early comment    I am looking for soil (DIRT) to create a good growing plot      THe stuff you use for building  on it not as good

cheers anyway

Offline candy

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:46:50 PM »
Steve   Sorry to have been a bit abrupt to your early comment    I am looking for soil (DIRT) to create a good growing plot      THe stuff you use for building  on it not as good

cheers anyway

That's nice. thumbup

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »

cheers anyway

No problem.

You may be better off going to a garden centre. They will have some soil that is good for growing, almost compost like. They do sell it in bags, about 20baht a bag for about 5kgs. They may be able to deliver by the truck load.

Offline Mikeh

• Contributor with future
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 02:32:31 PM »
cheers mate

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
I am going to get a CPAC truck to deliver ready mixed concrete, to put on top of the wire mesh that will be put down first.

Again I'm not sure of the cubic measurements. The floor space of our new kitchen, which is the major reason for the build, will be approx 11 metres by 7 metres. One CPAC truck, 8000 baht, should do the whole floor.

I got the numbers off Alan the Builder and I think a CPAC mixer holds 6 m3. That would suggest that to do your whole floor, the cement thickness will be circa 8 cm

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »
Mike, My best recommedation would be to wait on HWY 226 and flag down one of the dump trucks carring soil.  Or maybe if you are in a village, look for the dirt trail and wait. 

We just had a bunch delivered (flagged down a dump truck) in the village.  Cost 280 baht per load, which included spreading. 

You say "just" but the photos are dated June.

No they are dated July 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »
That was a helpful post.

The point being that if he had top soil delivered in June then the situation now is totally different.

In June there was no rice in the fields. People were having their paddy fields deepened and possibly having ponds dug. There was an abundance of soil available, and hence the price was as low as 280 a load.

Look around you now. There is rice in the fields, there is no work excavating going on. There is a limited amount of soil available and hence the price will be a lot higher. As for the chances of seeing a truck driving passed, well that is very limited.

I am in need of 20 truck loads to build up some land at the moment. I can tell you now that it is very hard to come by.

That is why I mentioned the dates. To be able to help with the scenario.

As I said, it was July 6.  And there are still dirt trucks coming throught our village, was about run over by one Saturday night.  We used 2 different people, the 2nd came to us saying he had lots of new dirt.  We ended up with 72 truck loads. 

The guy right down from me has a dump truck, come to my place about 6 pm and talk to him.  I live in Ban Yang. 

Here's a picture from the next day. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »
BTW, just took a pic of the guys dump truck, it is there every evening about 6.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 07:22:19 AM »
Sorry Urleft.

I originally read your camera date as June but, remembering that you are American, thought you may have your camera set to MM/DD/YYYY format.

Never mind as the situation is still the same. Dirt is very difficult to find right now. You are lucky that there is some on your doorstep.

Ban Yang is further from my house that where we got our dirt from, so likely more expensive.

Thanks for the info.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
No problem, it's was my wife's camera so that is why the date is that way. 

They must have some kind of dirt pocket aound here as they trucks have been hauling non stop for 6 months.  I just kind of assumed it was the same all over. 

But I did see dirt trucks on 226 on my way to/from KCI. 

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
No problem, it's was my wife's camera so that is why the date is that way. 

They must have some kind of dirt pocket aound here as they trucks have been hauling non stop for 6 months.  I just kind of assumed it was the same all over. 

But I did see dirt trucks on 226 on my way to/from KCI. 

Keith ,you've at long last admitted to living in a 'dirt pocket'..........Is it true only your fellow countymen & Aussies are permitted to visit????????????
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:23:50 AM by nookiebear »

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
Naw, my Brit bubby comes by regularly, are we all know Brits are in arears. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Dentist by Thai Bart
June 13, 2024, 11:34:50 AM

Re: House moving by Gerry
June 11, 2024, 03:39:27 PM

House moving by GEOFFREY
June 11, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Re: Dentist by dundeemk6
June 09, 2024, 03:49:48 PM

Re: Dentist by Thai Bart