{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Subway Restaurants Thai expansion plan  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Subway Restaurants Thai expansion plan
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:47:13 AM »

Love their sandwiches !  party15

Subway Restaurants Thai expansion plan 
Bangkok Post: 7 May 2009
FAST FOOD
Subway expands network

Subway Restaurants, the US fast-food chain, plans to expand its Thailand network to 100 outlets by the end of 2011.

The seventh Subway outlet owned by Aroi Bread is scheduled to open at The Offices@Central World in June

"We will move to the next level. And this time it won't feel like we're climbing a wall with our bare fingers, unlike when we started," said Greg Lange, the majority shareholder in Aroi Bread Company Ltd, Subway's biggest franchisee in Thailand.

Subway now has 22 restaurants across the country, five of which are owned by Aroi Bread. Another five outlets will be opened in the next three to four months.

Aroi Bread will open its sixth outlet at Phuket Airport on May 15, and its seventh at The Offices@CentralWorld in June.

Mr Lange said Subway's Thailand outlets enjoyed a 12% rise in same-store sales in the first quarter.

"When the economy is in recession people still want to go out and spend, but they will look for good-value products. That's why some quick-service chains that sell quality foods at affordable prices can grow," he said.

Subway was initially very slow to take off in Thailand when compared to McDonald's or KFC, because its 14 local franchises focused mainly on expats and upper middle-class Thais, he said.

"But it's time for us to start attracting the mass market now that we have a strong brand image in Thailand. We will have more ads in print media, on the radio and TV, as well as on the side of BTS carriages," he said.

A number of special promotions such as a 69-baht Subway sandwich will be introduced. A word of mouth strategy will be used to build brand awareness and to encourage locals to try the food.

Subway first opened in Thailand during the 1997 economic crisis but it failed to attract Thai customers because of the poor economy. The franchisee had insufficient capital to survive the downturn.

But the brand relaunched in Thailand in 2002 with more success.

Mr Lange said Subway franchises yielded good short-term returns. A franchisee invests around 5 million baht to open a Subway outlet. It takes about two-and-a-half years to break even.

Subway sends a team to help with a market feasibility study and traffic flow forecast to ensure the outlet is viable.

dave the dude

Re: Subway Restaurants Thai expansion plan
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »
Hope they have plans for Surin or Buriram.
I love Subway but they seem a bit expensive over here.

Dave

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:10:44 AM »
according to google the "foot long" sandwich cost 5$+ so here from what I remember it's 170+ Baht (5.5$).

Anyway I always take the 200 baht sandwich and go down on foot long . haaaa aroi ! jumping8

No have such things in thailand, I haven't seen "sandwich bars" same concept as the subway.
Sandwich is an art and it's not just about putting something in the middle of 2 pieces of bread.

You see,I even have ideology on sandwich food... ::)

Lourens

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »
...go down on foot long . haaaa aroi ! jumping8

Sounds like something I've heard many times before...  confused4

dave the dude

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:02:04 AM »
...go down on foot long . haaaa aroi ! jumping8

Sounds like something I've heard many times before...  confused4

You must have read my mind  :D :D

There are a number of Subways in Pattaya&BKK and the quality is as good as I am used to in England.
For our UK readers, these are NOT sandwiches they are 'french stick' type rolls. The shops offer about 6 different delicious bread types with vast amounts of fillings always given to customers.

I hate to admit this, but 6 inches is plenty IMHO  :D :D :D but the only down side as mentioned previously is they are about the same price as a Full Thai meal.

Dave

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM