{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Retiring in a Thai village, what should I bring that is difficult to buy there  (Read 40376 times)

Offline finnomick

• Contributor on the right way
Why sell all your stuff ? If you've got a lot of gear, why not look into shipping a container. I started to sell off my stuff and when it came to my toolbox ( priorities well and truly in place ) it was worth more than the total cost of packing and shipping so I stopped selling things off and put it all into a container. A friend of mine has just done the same thing from the UK and is very pleased he's done so. Now he doesn't have to buy much for his new house.

If the goods are shipped to Thailand in your wife's name as "secondhand goods" the import tax situation is more favourable, and you may well get away without paying any tax.

Exactly PN., for some reason the shipper in the UK put my  then girlfriend's  name on the paperwork and address labels. I didn't pay any tax although I did submit my passport for customs and excise to clear the container. They also wrote in my passport the major electrical goods of which you are only allowed one of each item, i.e. television, washing machine etc. Don't ask me why, but on the shipping manifest they had listed a television AND a portable television but they were not deemed to be similar items. And don't forget an item that has been posted on this forum before, there is also a 5,000 baht ' no-need-to-open-container-for-examination-purposes ' option too..... 

Offline Ahab

• Active member on the right way
  • Mostly right, just ask me
Why sell all your stuff ? If you've got a lot of gear, why not look into shipping a container. I started to sell off my stuff and when it came to my toolbox ( priorities well and truly in place ) it was worth more than the total cost of packing and shipping so I stopped selling things off and put it all into a container. A friend of mine has just done the same thing from the UK and is very pleased he's done so. Now he doesn't have to buy much for his new house.

If the goods are shipped to Thailand in your wife's name as "secondhand goods" the import tax situation is more favourable, and you may well get away without paying any tax.

Great information, much appreciated.

Offline finnomick

.....and I'm positive you'll be able to find a 220v - 110v dropper, it'll just be a matter of sourcing one either here or ' back home '. I have a 12v dc - 230v ac invertor which I use in the pick-up and can operate up to 300w. Cost me about 40 pounds but i've seen them for sale here.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
To be fair to Buriram, it is not all doom and gloom. There are many  shops near to the fresh, morning market that stock an abundance of things. Many different brands to choose from.

Nails? By the ton.

Offline finnomick

To be fair to Buriram, it is not all doom and gloom. There are many  shops near to the fresh, morning market that stock an abundance of things. Many different brands to choose from.

Nails? By the ton.

Just out of interest and necessity, have you ever seen galvanised staples there ? The ones I'm after are for fixing barbed wire to wooden posts.

Offline Ahab

• Mostly right, just ask me

Nails? By the ton.

Just out of interest and necessity, have you ever seen galvanised staples there ? The ones I'm after are for fixing barbed wire to wooden posts.

For an air nailer or hammer?

Offline finnomick

Nails? By the ton.

Just for use with a hammer, and about 1" long ( that's 2.5cm to the rest of the world )

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
couldn't find any myself. I had to draw one so I could her 'mai mi'.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster

Nails? By the ton.

Just for use with a hammer, and about 1" long ( that's 2.5cm to the rest of the world )

Its 1". and always will be. Thais work in inches for nails.  Be proud of the fact that we have not totally capitulated to Europe

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
In answer to your question, I had to bring galvanised staples from UK as I was unable to source any in Thailand.

Doe's not mean to say they don't have them in Thailand but I could not track any down!

TBWG buriram_united sawadi

mxyzptlk

If anyone ever finds any of these in or around Buriram / Korat please let me know....

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
I had to make a drawing to explain what I was looking for and I think they thought I was quite mad.
Haven't found any yet and am wondering if a bent nail with the head nipped off would be worthwhile ..

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
Strange such an item sparks so much interest

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
I will go an have a look when I am passing.

Offline BillH52

Plain and simple - slip joint pliers; decent quality.  Took me 2 months to find them in Thailand.  Found every other kind of pliers you could imagine; some I'd never seen before.  Little things like that can be very frustrating.

The 220-110v step down is a great suggestion.  Have my eye on a model now in the U.S. for our next winter in Thailand.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick