{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Helmet 100% campaign in Buriram  (Read 39039 times)

isanbirder

Re: Helmet 100% campaign in Buriram
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
Agreed, Nookie.

Most motor accidents are the other fool's fault.  Wearing a crash helmet won't prevent accidents, but it might prevent major or fatal damage to you.

Tony, add "and mirrors removed".

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 09:31:19 AM »
One is a danger to you personally Nookie, whilst the other is a danger to all other road users!  The absence of either can and does result in death and injury. It really does make sense to obey the law!

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 05:35:33 PM »
I think the UK is irrelevant. Thailand would not have statistics, but there is no reason to suggest the results would be any different.

I suppose that not wearing a helmet is not directly going to affect anyone else should you have an accident, but think of all the indirect consequences - particularly those that might affect your family and close friends. I think they need all our consideration when we consider do stupid things

Offline rufusredtail

• Reliable reporter with future.
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »
I will add my bit , without any insults to anyone , where i live in australia its law to wear a helmet on a bike , thailand should increase the fine , make it hurt in the hip pocket, it would be interesting to know how many motorcyclists die each year from not wearing a helmut , i have worked in many hospitals, and seen what happens when you dont wear a helmet , its JUST NOT WORTH THE RISK .

Offline Jamaw

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 08:29:09 PM »
rufusredtail -  I agree with you to a degree. I spent one year in Oz as a training consultant, I loved the country (and I went everywhere) but I couldn't live there, too many rules- a police state everywhere.

This is Thailand and whilst we all share similar frustrations I do agree that we should hit them where it hurts- in the pocket. We don't want Thailand to be another EU state or an Australian State that is handcuffed!

Wouldn't it be nice if their was a law for common sense and people did not do stupid things?

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
hmm i dont see how common sense and lao khao can be combined :)

Offline chudless

• Contributor with future
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
 bike038 Maybe it is the wifes motor cycle ???

Offline andy

• Contributor with future
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 07:56:56 AM »
I teach English in a large school in Buriram and we had the local police give a lecture to the our students on the importance of wearing a crash helmet.  The next day I was on gate duty and I counted six teachers arrive on motorbikes with out a crash helmet.  So why would young children wear one if the peer models can'e be bothered. 

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
The Thai education ministry should demand that the head teacher of every school enforce a driving licence and helmet rule on everyone (teachers and pupils alike) entering school premises on motorbikes

Offline dimple joe

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:32 AM »
The problem could easily be solved IMHO.

1st offence merely impound the motorsai of every offender (helmet, license, or tax) for a minimum of 1 week.

No release until a helmet or correct documents etc., are produced. If not reclaimed after two weeks the motorsai should be forfeit and auctioned.

2nd offense instant confiscation of the motorsai.

The BIB would make a fortune for a while, but very soon everyone would comply with the rules.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 08:54:28 AM »
Totally agree with you Joe -sadly it will not happen. Include lights and more than just 1 driver and 1 passenger too.

Far too many Thai do gooders would say the penalties are too harsh etc, but fail to realise that if the laws are complied with there will be no penalties.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
I teach English in a large school in Buriram and we had the local police give a lecture to the our students on the importance of wearing a crash helmet.  The next day I was on gate duty and I counted six teachers arrive on motorbikes with out a crash helmet.  So why would young children wear one if the peer models can'e be bothered. 
Andy,teh teachers are as bad as the kids..............start hitting them with a 1,000 baht fine ,the problem is solved overnight

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
  When you get stopped for a seat belt check and see trucks crammed with school kids hanging over the edge of the back going by without a check, you do wonder about the priorities of this kind of stuff at all.
 However I have no sympathy with the young girls and boys that I see stopped virtually every morning because they have no helmet. They must be thick as two short planks, not wearing a helmet costs money. I have twice seen motorbike riders sliding sideways along the road for no apparent reason, both no helmet.
  Taking these kids around the hospital now and again might be more efficient than making parents pay their fines for them.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
If the fines were large enough, and the errant parents/guardians who bought the motorcycles for the kids in the first place were also heavily fined, there may be results.

And as Dimple Joe recommended, aided and abetted by myself, the motorcycle should be confiscated on a second offence. The vehicle should subsequently be sold with proceeds going to a childrens' hospital!

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »
How much would a mobile bike crusher cost?

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick