{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Thai + English Teaching  (Read 36619 times)

Offline Eric2012

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Thai + English Teaching
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 06:17:24 PM »
about 60,000 baht

Offline Jamaw

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
Not quite!

Offline Eric2012

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »
Per couple return

Offline Jamaw

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
You're on the right track but the wrong destination.

The great, witty and intelligent Australian writer Clive James as was asked during an interview several decades ago why he became a writer and author. He replied that he had always loved reading and was inspired by his English teacher. One day the teacher told the class a famous English author was coming to Melbourne and they could get the afternoon off if they wanted to buy his book and get it personally autographed. Clive begged his father who gave in and let him go.

As they all waited in the very long queue to have their books signed, Clive was next when a big fat woman walked up to the front, slapped the book on the table and said ''Emma Chisset''. The author (we believe it was Graham Greene), casually opened the book and signed to ''Emma Chisset with best regards. She burst out...No! Not Emma Chisset...it's Emma Chisstet. Sorry said the author, is it one 'M'? Er, is it two 'T's? No she blasted. This went on for a few minutes until the teacher came over to the author and said...she means..... ''how much is it.''
'

It's better said than written and better said by an Aussie.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
I think you underestimate the aussie sense of humour-just think -same as English,only quicker
Thanks for the biggest laugh of the day

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
Perhaps you speak well but the biggest problem for Thais is written English and grammar.

Why don't you meet up with someone like Starman? With his experience, it could only be of benefit to you and the Thai people you are 'teaching'.
I disagree, Thai students/teachers and School Principals have been taught written English and Grammar to an OK standard because thats something that is easier for a Thai to teach.

In my (limited) experience, its conversation that they ALL stumble with because 'if you don't use it, you lose it.' Most English Expats might have learnt French (for instance) at school and then promptly forgotten it, because it was never spoken since that time.

I teach approx 300 students per week and 90% say its conversational skills that they are lacking.

Offline Eric2012

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »
Spot on Nobby,absolutely 100% right.And how are Thais going to practice if expats don't even give them a chance.They have the knowledge,all they need is alot of encouragement from us.Remember,in Thai culture saving face is everything.For Thais to speak English with english speaking people takes heaps of courage compared to us who don't give a damn what others think.

Offline Jamaw

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
Nobby, that's far too simplistic. Bot my daughters have taken Spanish and German and as they haven't used it much they have lost it. The students need exposure to the language and conversation and they don't get that as there isn't much in Thailand. There are plenty I know of that can hold a good conversation but cannot read or write.

I don't know how you teach but what you say goes against all other research. The standard of writing and grammar of Thai teachers is very poor and I've seen this myself. I even read some Engish workbooks issued to the kids from schools and they are full of errors. I have friends all over Thailand who teach and state the same.

If it was as you describe then there would be no problems. Children pick up language easily, or relatively easy. It is grammar and writing that is the weakness and that is glaringly evident having read the post by admin who can no doubt speak English ok!

Offline manni

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »
Jamie, I have to admit I agree with all of your points regarding the standard of education and educators in Thailand. Regarding Ann, I have met her a few times and I can confirm her spoken English is a bit better than her written English. I have no knowledge of her teaching skills or what materials are used. I have seen her with a student and that student seemed comfortable, engaged and generally excited to see the results of her exams, but who knows how that correlates into actually learning.

My best guess is that the English lessons at BE are geared almost exclusively towards the wives and girlfriends of foreigners. I assume the focus is therefore on building very basic conversational skills and stringent grammar lessons might slip through the cracks. Assuming Ann is a capable teacher, her standard of English is probably good enough for the early lessons and presumably students eventually could move on to being taught by Arnon.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 07:58:42 AM »
In my experience many Thai educators have the feeling of "we know best. We can do it". It is in fact the Thai teachers that are blocking the idea of Native English Speakers and Thai Speakers working together.

If the head of the foreign language department is on your side then you have half a chance.

The school where I currently teach have finally allowed me to check and amend the end of term tests before they go into the test rooms. This is something that very rarely happens in Thai schools. The Thai teachers write the tests and think everything is good. Some of the time it is not. So, if the test is wrong then the teaching was likely wrong. How are students supposed to get it right when they are being educated wrongly?

There are many things that need to be looked at. Thai teachers do not speak English in the classroom, most teaching is done from a book, the students get homework and copy each other. Students are never encouraged to speak English in the classroom. Most importantly, and this is across the board and involves every subject, the students are never encouraged to ask questions.

This is my experience as both a teacher and a parent.

Offline Jamaw

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
I have to agree with Starman, not just because of his expertise and experience but this is exactly what I was told by academics whilst training for this. There are schools that have a rigid curriculum and teachers must stick to it, there are others that will let the language teacher formulate his or her own lesson plans. We have to be realistic in that some students may not be interested in learning English or not capable. If I was left to get on with it I would evaluate the students as to their capabilities and limitations; those that were keen and capable would take an exam at the end of each term in reading, writing, comprehension, grammar and speech. The others would be trained to form conversations and be capable of basic communication skills. But that is down to the skills of the teacher.

The highest standard of English in Thais comes from journalists in both the print and communications media. They have access to a higher standard of education and training, they have financial backing and perhaps most importantly, they get to work abroad in the UK or USA to broaden their experience. If this was done with education and teachers were given the support they crave and deserve we may not be having this conversation.

I have seen written tests set by Thai teachers for students of English and they are shocking, poor spelling and grammar as well as 'typos'. What chance do the students have when they are given such material?

I have in my vast experience interviewed and employed many people and I've found that there are intelligent people that would never make as teachers. There are different aspect to teaching but what all is said and done Ann is taking money for teaching English when she is not qualified to do so and her own grammar is very basic, and that's being polite. By all means help and assist people by taking money you put your neck on the block and are open to challenge.

Offline Jamaw

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
Why Thais can't speak English....an interesting read.

http://www.ajarn.com/ajarn-guests/articles/why-cant-thais-speak-english/

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM