{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Snakes in Thailand.  (Read 22161 times)

Offline Jon Terry

• Contributor with future
  • if the fish tastes bad put rotton fish on it
    • www.freewebs.com/jonterryinteriors
Re: Snakes in Thailand.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 11:10:20 PM »
good website mate

Offline JAI P.E.A.

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »
 jumping8 MY PHOBIA !, ANOTHER BAD EXPERIENCE  jumping8. The other morning I wanted to go in to Buriram so I told my wife I would take the motorbike ( easy to park ) , I went and opened the gate and wheeled the motorbike out on to the road, I closed the gate and stared the motorbike up and started to drive off  bike038, but as I did a SNAKE   love3 (GREEN in colour and about 1 meter long , POISONOUS ! ?? ) dropped out from under the engine cover on to my foot and on to the road, I SCREAMED wildman and nearly crashed the motorbike , I stopped in SHOCK  :o and my wife come running out of the house to see what had happened . when I told her she said ( YES IT'S NATURAL !? ), NATURAL ? she explained with all the rain over the last week or so SNAKE'S like a nice dry place to shelter too ! ( silly me ! ). can't they fined somewhere else other than my motorbike  ?, like the neighbour's house  thumbup  That's my 3rd close encounter now and I'm sure it won't be my last , just happy to be alive to tell my story pray1 . love3

Offline treehousemonkey

• http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »
green snakes in Buriram area--- three varieties, one is called ngu keeo  --- it is a long thin snake with a long head it is mildly poisonous. A couple of feet to a meter in length-- It is predominately a bug eater and usually you an find them in trees.  The ngu keeo doke maak , a second variety is a bit thicker in the body and has a black  patttern small spot pattern along both sides near the underbelly.  It is aggressive and is a real nasty piece of work.  It too is light green black and has some white coloration  along the sides.  The third variety has a diamond head and is a palm viper, that one can put you in a box  182 species of snakes in Thailand, 90 are poisonous, 92 non poisonous.

Red Jet

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
182 species of snakes in Thailand, 90 are poisonous, 92 non poisonous.

According to my Snake Bible there are 200+ snake species with over 60 of them - venomous. :biggrin:
Where do get your figures Treehousemonkey ???

In the testament according to Snakes of Thailand
There are about 45 species of poisonous Snakes in Thailand, and well over 100 non poisonous snakes.

In the gospel  Samui Snake Farm site
There are more than 170 types of snakes in Thailand, but only 50 species are venomous.

My wife says."Snakes are good"..( Nāga ) and it's man that is evil, or do snakes really represent evil and are only sent here to cause mayhem and conflict by biting us from under a parked motorbike  >:D

With so many conflicting figure and views ,where to people find the truth because I'm starting to get confused  confused2

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline treehousemonkey

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
I have a copy of the book in thai which is caled Snakes of thailand, many species. shows 182 and has info on each it narrows toxicity to front fang(deadly, very poisonous) to back fang (mildly poisonous and then shows the inscription next to each species, those without fangs.  It also shows the constrictors, like the burmese python, reticultaed python and albino-which is yellow and white.  My friend John Henry is a herptologist. He was at Udon Thani 22 years ago. When I first came to Thailand in 1989 he showed me a doctoral thesis on snakes in Thailand (Kansas State University) which was so thick you could hardly manipulate it, he said at that time, many books did not list all the species and that there were more than 400 and possibly as many as 650 including all subspecies. Since I have been in Buriram  I  have killed six varieties of cobras here at the center: The jong ahn-- king cobra, the Isaan cobra, Thai cobra (black),  Isaan spitting cobra--alternating white and yellow bands on stomach snake itself is brown with a green tint, golden spitting cobra and ngu how wah (greenish). There are 15 varieties of cobra in southeast Asia-- I have seen photos of the albino white cobra and a pinkish variety as well.  The book I bought was available at S-ED Books, mine is quite worth after all these years but I am sure you could get a copy at one of the larger book stores in Bangkok.  We have been to the snake show at the Elephant Study Center in Surin and they use some cobras from the central part of Thailand.  The handler says he won't using the spitters because they are way to dangerous to handle.

Red Jet

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »
The handler says he won't using the spitters because they are way to dangerous to handle.

To right, Nobody likes the spitters   ;)

Thanks for the Info THM  thumbup

Offline Smithy

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »
Older Thread re-opened

My dog Lucky as barking for ages so I went outside and there was this Big Green Snake .( about 1.25 meters long )
My Wife had a big lump of wood in her hand and I said "What are You going to do with that " she said "Kill the Snake".  knuppel2
I said "Don't kill it as it helps keeps the mice away".
She said "It will kill you if it bites you"  :o
I replied "are you sure ???"
YES"  she said  smilenod
So after she killed it I googled the Snake and told Her it was Non-Venomous and Not Dangerous.
She then said "The Internet and Computer was wrong "  :laugh: 

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/non-venomous/red-tailed-racer-non-venomous-not-dangerous/?fbclid=IwAR0lpVCbOkBXh9I-Wtex9T6_8ju0I61v61y5soau2YuAJqyvjTLfj5kXUDg

When my Wife was a Child she was bitten by a Venomous Snake on the hand and she nearly died.
She was told by her Mum and Dad that all snakes can kill you ( better to be safe than sorry in their eyes I guess ) and that has stuck and there is no convincing her that some Snakes are harmless

Poor Snake  :(

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 08:07:38 AM »
My dogs always alert us to snakes also. It took a while but my wife will now pull the dogs away and let them pass through. I?ve also made a snake catching stick which is very easy. Those that want to remain I just snare and pop over the wall to empty ground. I?ve never had a problem with the snake coming back in. I think that once they have been tracked down the garden by the dogs they know not to return.

Offline Smithy

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
My dogs always alert us to snakes also.
runningdog runningdog runningdog

Yes so does mine , also cats , frogs , toads , lizards , spiders , cockroaches and just about anything that moves................... which can be a right pain at 3am in the morning only to find he has cornered a fooking worm !!!    letitallout

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
Fortunately my pack limit their noisy attention to snakes, scorpions and big furry spiders.
Oh, and the occasional earth crab which quickly turns to howling panic when one hangs on to a nose, lip or tongue.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick