{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Poll

Where did you meet their GF/Wife/Boyfriend?

Bar
23 (30.3%)
A Go-Go
5 (6.6%)
Massage parlour
1 (1.3%)
Disco
4 (5.3%)
While working outside Thailand
0 (0%)
In my home country
5 (6.6%)
Over the internet
10 (13.2%)
In Buriram
3 (3.9%)
Introduction by friend
12 (15.8%)
While working together in Thailand
3 (3.9%)
Other (Explain in post).
10 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: THE MONEY ONE HAS TO PAY FOR GETTING MARIED  (Read 117154 times)

Offline Murtle_71

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: THE MONEY ONE HAS TO PAY FOR GETTING MARIED
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »
Anyone considering paying 2m sin sot is either a troll or a half-wit.

Well CC what would you consider a fair sin sod then.....
I have always wondered the same.....
Village girl, worked bar when she was young and wants mom to be happy?

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »
Pending CC's response, I will say that I do not consider any sin sod to be fair.

Mum ought to be deliriously happy that her daughter has found a decent man to take care of her. Money should not be a consideration! But perhaps more importantly, the girl herself should be happy to marry, and not just doing it for Mum's benefit.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
I have said that I will not pay sin sod.

The whole ethos of sin sod is fundamentally wrong (in my opinion).

It is my responsibility to look after my Thai partner (as it was with 2 English wives). This I will do to the best of my ability, which will be somewhat better than a Thai husband (at this level) could do.

My partner will finish up with assets beyond anything she could have expected from a Thai marriage. If she wants me to marry her, it will be without sin sod. I will not be party to that circus of giving gold and cash as a dowry. This is a Thai tradition with wholly different circumstances.

Next thing, you will be dressing up in Thai costume and spending the first night of married life in the familyhome. What a load of tosh !
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:46:43 PM by CoffeeCorner »

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
Will you be hanging out the sheets CoCo???

Offline maraudingscot

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »
troll

Sin Sod has been done to death over the years,anybody who asks about it only has to google and read to see what westerners think.You could be right Ray  :biggrin:

nowinkbar

Well have YOU google'd this subject! :-\
I did back along, maybe 6 monhs ago, and its is surprising what little information comes up, and there seems to be an evenlly balance arguement for both sides (on paying and NOT paying) stop1

So yes, When a someone asks this question it only shows they are trying to find out as much info as possible!

party3 A lot of you peps on here are fortunate to live in Thailand and no doubt go through the various stages that you may now see from us "newer" bods that are finding Thailand.
And YES all Thai ladies like  moneysmile, but its maybe just finding the right balance in your own individual relationship with your prospective Thai lady.

oldmanwithstick I can only speak for mine at the moment, and we seem to be at a fluid stage, where there was the talk of 300,000 Baht for marraige or even no "sinsod" but could build house to even, no want anything just happy to have a Farang!

I think it all boils down to who they have been speaking to and what that other person says they should be looking for! oldmanwithstick

Classic example thought not connected with sinsod., There I was sitting on mama/papa's poarch watching the world go by and lady down road comes on in and sits down, smiles at me and holds out her hand!  whistle I ignore and eventually she wanders away muttering! On getting translation I discover she was calling me stingy and cheap charlie! lol she had nothing to do with family (not that would make a difference) and just expected the farang to dish out the readies! lol

Even g/f's family know better than just expect me to pay all the time. Hey do not mind now and then and if I agree to whats happening, but not a walking ATM.  wildman

Offline rufusredtail

• Reliable reporter with future.
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice all, maraudingscot sums it up well, been a newbie i can only ask the question , i think we could do without the SARCASM, in some cases,any way , thank you great help knuppel2

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »
Thanks for the advice all, maraudingscot sums it up well, been a newbie i can only ask the question , i think we could do without the SARCASM, in some cases,any way , thank you great help knuppel2
Being Sarcastic is the only way to get through to some of you........
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:02:25 AM by Admin »

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 09:44:02 AM »
Not so much Sarcasm Rufus, just gentle fun.

Hopefully now you have come to realise the benefits of forums, when members collectively offer advice for the benefit of others.

You were not to know as a Newbie that 2 million baht was way over the to. Now that you do, I trust you will make the right decision, and if there is a next time, indicate at the outset that you are anti sin sod!

Offline aparasher

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Mate,

I was asked 100,000 baht and 1 baht gold, but I explained my position with the stuff that I would do for the girl for rest of life. I do not pay my wife any money on regular basis as she has her own job and house, but I have paid for all holidays, her medical checkups, her trip to Australia and other countires. She also knew that in future she will have to come to Australia to settle down. So, they took the option to waive sin sod. I still brought cash to show off and it was all returned back to me. I bought her .75 carat excellent quality diamond platinum ring and my family fave her half baht of gold. Everyone was very happy with that and have not asked me for anything. So far I only put a pargola in the house and nothing else.

What I am trying to say is that in any case you have the power to negotiate and never be afraid to walk away. You need to present your options to the girl and if it's the money that she is interested in, then, you shoudl reconsider your options.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:28:15 PM by aparasher »

Dave the Dude

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
Wise word!

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 07:50:48 PM »
It's more often the Mother than the girl that wants the money

nurl raisur

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »
It's more often the Mother than the girl that wants the money
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree though.

Offline olavhome

• Contributor with future
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
Personally I met my present wife 3 years ago. Married 1.5 years ago.  Sinsod new to me and in beginning didnt like it at all. My GF told a different rumors of amounts, but had heard about thai "rumor making" so didnt care to much.
Preferred also look into internet sites like this to get a second opinion.
Her father had passed away 5 years ago and they didnt have money to arrange party for hin. So I agreed that if i give thb 300.000 that also include for the party (which was held 3 months ago). In the period after i met my wife, before she came to Norway to stay with me, i transferred thb 20.000 monthly. I have continued doing so after she came to Norway, and of course now go to MIL ( but also for paying four 08 Toyota Hilux  whick of course they use when we not in LOS).
We(I) have also bought some new land where we plan to build when I retire in 4 Years. Have filled up land and made perimeter wall. MIL and wifes daughter 17 years will make house/shop on outside perimeter wall. Think it is ok, they an take take care of our house when we in Norway during summer. My wife work in Norway and ALL :-) her salary go for saving for MIL/daughters new house to be buildt next year.

Offline dimple joe

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 06:14:43 PM »
I would refer the gentleman to the answer I gave earlier and before that and before that and before that...

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »
300,000 sinsot, to a girl with 16/17 year old daughter, and 20,000bt a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick