{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: SIN SOD question. How much?  (Read 75955 times)

isanbirder

Re: SIN SOD question. How much?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
I can only speak of what I have seen in my village and neighbouring villages.  Not once has sin sod been returned in 10 years.

The times when the money is returned are when the Thai family is relatively well off, i.e. in most cases an urban family, not peasant farmers.

Offline dundeemk6

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:13 PM »
A few years ago an english bloke was asked to tranfer 100.000 baht for his sinsot ... they didn't mention baht ... so the bloke made a transfer of 100.000 £ ... the pound was still strong at that time ... you can image the party and number of new cars that were bought !!! Whatever happened after this? I don't know ... did the marriage took place or not, you have to ask people from Ban Kruat ...
Isn't life beautifull ?!?

manupete

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
I can only speak of what I have seen in my village and neighbouring villages.  Not once has sin sod been returned in 10 years.
Have to agree here Nick ,I have never seen it given back,apart from one time ,some was kept for a new roof and the rest returned.( A sin sod paid and the rest for show but this was a Thai/Farang wedding so the farang paid for the party) At one Thai/farang wedding the guy was even told by his new lovely bride  that all wedding gift money ( the money tied around their wrist's) had to be give to the parents as well as he was taking her to the UK and that was the local custom.The parents got 100k sin sod ,the party paid for  and the money off the couples wrist's,so lots of smiling faces that day. :biggrin:
The funny thing is that a sin sod is wavered many times in a Thai/farang wedding as the new husband pays for a big wedding in the village but hardly ever in a Thai/Thai wedding !!! ::)
But at the same time you wouldn't expert  the Thai family to pay for everything ,its all down to what make everybody happy. smilenod
We even have a few professional Thai brides in the village that have been married to 4 or 5 to Thai guys and a Sin Sod paid each time,the families have a nice house's.!!! friendlypeople
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:11:20 PM by manupete »

den Buut

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
A few years ago an english bloke was asked to tranfer 100.000 baht for his sinsot ... they didn't mention baht ... so the bloke made a transfer of 100.000 £ ... the pound was still strong at that time ... you can image the party and number of new cars that were bought !!! Whatever happened after this? I don't know ... did the marriage took place or not, you have to ask people from Ban Kruat ...
He must have been the dumbest man on the planet, after JtT ofcourse.

manupete

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
BTW....to put things into perspective.......What we mustn't forget though is that an average wedding cost in the UK are £20,000 ( 1,00,000 Baht) but with the help of this site ( http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/planning/budget.asp ) you can get it down to £11,000 ( 550,000 baht ) so even if you pay a sin sod it's still cheap . party6

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
There aren't many average weddings in the UK anymore, In fact there aren't nearly as many weddings as there used to be. People have more sense!

manupete

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »
There aren't many average weddings in the UK anymore, In fact there aren't nearly as many weddings as there used to be. People have more sense!

Yes Nick ,when I got married in the UK it was a small affair ,as it was May 19th and FA cup day ,me and the father in law managed to insult most of the guest  so they would leave by 3pm to we could watch the game in peace.  redman

Offline Pee Nuu

• Contributor on the right way
  • huh..??
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48:07 PM »
Yes, must be lovely to be a dumb-butt.

manupete

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51:17 PM »
Yes, must be lovely to be a dumb-butt.

Urban Myth   ::) ::) ::) :biggrin:

Offline Pee Nuu

• Contributor on the right way
  • huh..??
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:56 PM »
Have to agree here Nick ,I have never seen it given back,apart from one time ,some was kept for a new roof and the rest returned.( A sin sod paid and the rest for show but this was a Thai/Farang wedding so the farang paid for the party) At one Thai/farang wedding the guy was even told by his new lovely bride  that all wedding gift money ( the money tied around their wrist's) had to be give to the parents as well as he was taking her to the UK and that was the local custom.The parents got 100k sin sod ,the party paid for  and the money off the couples wrist's,so lots of smiling faces that day. :biggrin:
The funny thing is that a sin sod is wavered many times in a Thai/farang wedding as the new husband pays for a big wedding in the village but hardly ever in a Thai/Thai wedding !!! ::)
But at the same time you wouldn't expert  the Thai family to pay for everything ,its all down to what make everybody happy. smilenod
We even have a few professional Thai brides in the village that have been married to 4 or 5 to Thai guys and a Sin Sod paid each time,the families have a nice house's.!!! friendlypeople
In many cases, the poorer countryside dwellers will forgo the sin sod with a sorta guarantee of "being looked after" by their newly enshrined Farang SIL. Again, the ideal of a future security is in place.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »
If I had paid sin sod to my 2 Falang wives they would have got less in the divorce.

Apparently, you can't get blood out of a stone !

Dave the Dude

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2011, 06:33:39 AM »

Yes Nick ,when I got married in the UK it was a small affair ,as it was May 19th and FA cup day ,me and the father in law managed to insult most of the guest  so they would leave by 3pm to we could watch the game in peace.  redman

Who won?

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »
Planning obviously not your strong point Manupete

manupete

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2011, 09:19:03 AM »

Who won?

Me .I ended up with the house. :biggrin:

manupete

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
Planning obviously not your strong point Manupete

My fiancée was 4 months pregnant and it was the only date available for months ,yes planning ( family )  was not my strong point  love3

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick