1 (20%)
Maxxis
0 (0%)
Thai Brand tires
0 (0%)
Second hand tires
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Which Tires Do You Use?  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Which Tires Do You Use?
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »
Bridgestone Thailand increases tyre prices 
Bangkok Post: 2 Mar 2011

Bridgestone increases tyre prices
Cites 'unprecedented' surge in rubber costs

Pressured by significantly more expensive natural rubber costs, Bridgestone Sales (Thailand) has raised its tyre prices for the second time in five months, by 5-9%.

Last October saw a 3-5% increase. This latest one, effective yesterday, varies by type and size of the tyres stems from the present high price of natural rubber, the key raw material in tyre production.

Nobuyuki Tamura, the managing director of Thailand's largest automotive tyre distributor, said the prices of natural rubber has steadily climbed since last year, adversely affecting Bridgestone's tyre production.

He did not specify the exact cost increase for Bridgestone's manufacturing.

Sales director Izumi Suyama said it is difficult to specify the cost of tyre production since the proportion of natural rubber varies depending on the types and sizes.

"We cannot replace the natural rubber with cheaper synthetic material because each type of tyres has its own proportion that will affect quality and performance," he said.

Pinyo Wangvatanakul, the manager for consumer retail sales, said costs of other raw materials such as steel, synthetic rubber, carbon black and relevant chemicals have also soared across the board.

The unprecedented surge in the prices of natural rubber is due to tight supply in the wake of heavy downpours and flooding that has affected plantations in the South, which is the key rubber plantation area, and other regions, explained Mr Pinyo.

As well, strong rubber demand from China and India, whose automotive industries are growing rapidly, also contributed to the supply shortage.

Bridgestone normally raises tyre prices by no more than 5%. However, the severity of the spike in the natural rubber prices forced it to implement yesterday's 5-9% increase.

Mr Tamura declined to give a sales target for this year.

But he said Bridgestone expects a 55-57% share of the local tyre replacement market, which is estimated at 7.5-8 million tyres annually.

Competition is now very fierce within the industry as the number of tyre brands available in the replacement market has doubled to 60 in recent years, ever since the government waived the duty on tyres imported from within the region.

Meanwhile, the Bridgestone Group in Thailand has joined Bridgestone units worldwide to celebrate the parent company's 80th anniversary yesterday.

As Bridgestone moves towards its 100th anniversary, it will refine its corporate philosophy and change the logo it has used for the past 30 years, while the new slogan will be: "Your Journey, Our Passion."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/224252/bridgestone-increases-tyre-prices

boloa

Re: Which Tires Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »
I use the cheapest I can find for the Honda Wave. smilenod

BTW..If anybody wants a spare tyre I believe Nookie has quite a few  :laugh: :laugh:  redman

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:25:24 PM »
Usually Bridgestone because of the tires quality but I stopped long time ago because the looonggggg line at their service station.
Now I changed to use 'Good Year'. Fast line. Good tires. Good service. Reasonable prices.
drivinggear

Offline JanAndersLarsson

• Contributor with future
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
I use Michelin. These tires were mounted on my Honda Jazz when I bought the car five years ago and with less than 7500 km every I think the tires and the car will survive me.  :laugh:
As a curousity the last pedalbike (a Wheeler) I had in Sweden was supplied with Michelin tires too, Very good tires indeed. I donated the bike to my son before I moved to Thailand. Sure enought it was stolen within three months.  :ohmy: :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:25:40 PM by JanAndersLarsson »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
VOTE!
Michelin tires are also very good. I think most known companies standard tires are in good quality (and if you have another experience I would love to hear about it) but what matters for driving handling and stability is the size/width and TYPE of tires you install on your car.
I have seen some ridiculous tires the locals install on their cars because it look like off-road but not match for 90% of the time they are driving on the road.
These off-road type tires are not safe on high speed AND noisy on the road also so for what?! I guess its a question of preference.
I like my tires to be mid-low (so not so low) and wide!
 monkeydancing

Offline bartomeer

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:10:22 AM »
dUNLOP DUE TO THE UNAVAILABILITY OF bRIDGESTONE!!

Offline JanAndersLarsson

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:44:54 AM »
Now I have voted.
I knew I should have checked my spelling (curiosity) yesterday but never mind.
I have read a couple of testreports on Honda Jazz both saying it is a very good car but it is dull to drive. Nothing happens. Might have something to do with the tires. Besides for an old man like me it is very positive if nothing happens when I am on the road in the Thai traffic.    :laugh:

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »
dUNLOP DUE TO THE UNAVAILABILITY OF bRIDGESTONE!!
Added to the poll. Vote! drivinggear

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM