{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Gun Culture in USA  (Read 223970 times)

Offline garytaffy

• Contributor on the right way
Re: Gun Culture in USA
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 09:10:20 AM »
Den Buut, I quite frankly find your comments childish , re wanting to be a big man for doing some target shooting 30 years ago.................though it doesnt really surprise me from what i read on some of your other postings.

den Buut

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
Den Buut, I quite frankly find your comments childish , re wanting to be a big man for doing some target shooting 30 years ago.................though it doesnt really surprise me from what i read on some of your other postings.
You just don't understand, maybe you're just not smart enough, sorry.

Offline garytaffy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
Yes i guess you are right my postgraduate academic record and various professional qualifications dont compare much against the "highly opinionated font of all knowledge".i wont bother further replies ......as i see we differ in outlook....that is the nature of the world we live in.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
Taffy ,I have to come down on your side even though you are a Cardiff supporter

EastFife4Forfar5

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
Taffy ,I have to come down on your side even though you are a Cardiff supporter

That is a bloody good reason for NOT coming down on his side !!!!

den Buut

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
We all did stupid things when we were 17, guess shooting a gun was one of yours.
Thanks for seeing me that way by the way.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
Yes i guess you are right my postgraduate academic record and various professional qualifications dont compare much against the "highly opinionated font of all knowledge".i wont bother further replies ......as i see we differ in outlook....that is the nature of the world we live in.

Supporting Cardiff is perhaps evidence that all the qualifications in the world do not make one a wise man !

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »
Had I been brought with guns, or had the chance to shoot at an early age, I may support the licensed possession of guns.

I didn't, so I see little reason for allowing guns to be used than in a controlled environment such as a registered gun club.

I don't possess a gun and doubt I ever will. Would I use one to protect my safety/life ?  Yes, of course - which in itself may be the wrong approach to law and order.

As the topic is about USA gun culture we can refer to 'gun toting-red necks' and cite the many misuses of fire-arms where innocent people have been killed. For those of us in the UK we have seen Hungerforford, Dunblane and recently with Raoul Moat.

Stats tell their own story:-

"The U.S. rate for gun deaths in 1994 was 14.24 per 100,000 people. Japan had the lowest rate, at .05 per 100,000.

The study used 1994 statistics supplied by the 36 countries. Of the 88,649 gun deaths reported by all the countries, the United States accounted for 45 percent, said Etienne Krug, a CDC researcher and co-author of the article. "

boloa

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 02:10:39 PM »
When you see the statistics its hard to says that the USA doesn't have a problem,the American gun lovers  in this debate always say " You are just Yank bashing again " and they their bury your head in the sand and pretend the problem doesn't exist .
http://www.worldproutassembly.org/archives/2006/03/us_leads_riches.html
I remember watching Bowling for Columbine years ago ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Columbine ) and thinking what a fcuked up place the USA is,one of the reasons I have never been .I'm not Yank bashing because I am British and the UK is fcuked too but for different reasons.  smilenod
One more thing .....The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,give an unbalanced mind a gun  and look what they do with it......need I say more  ::)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

isanbirder

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
We all did stupid things when we were 17, guess shooting a gun was one of yours.
Thanks for seeing me that way by the way.

I was a fair shot at 18, good enough anyway to be the marksman on a riot squad in Singapore (the person who has to pick off the ringleader).  When a riot happened, I was terrified I would have to shoot someone... so perhaps it was a stupid thing to do!

redrover

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
HA HA! This highly opinionated font of all knowledge that you speak of so gallantly, is the grand character fodder of forum circles. Largely, because we all know everything whistle mhihi. Mind, one musn't throw around educational and academics accolades, as a proper and formal educational experience guarantees nothing.

redrover

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
When you see the statistics its hard to says that the USA doesn't have a problem,the American gun lovers  in this debate always say " You are just Yank bashing again " and they their bury your head in the sand and pretend the problem doesn't exist .
http://www.worldproutassembly.org/archives/2006/03/us_leads_riches.html
I remember watching Bowling for Columbine years ago ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Columbine ) and thinking what a fcuked up place the USA is,one of the reasons I have never been .I'm not Yank bashing because I am British and the UK is fcuked too but for different reasons.  smilenod
One more thing .....The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,give an unbalanced mind a gun  and look what they do with it......need I say more  ::)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States
It is what it is. No degree of logical debate or apologist rants will change the truer nature of the American culture. Some variant circles might suggest that America has long been a "warrior culture" aside the romantic and cherished {subliminally} kinship with militarism that seems to be a calling card for what civilisation reflects. One needn't know {or study} the steadfast, and quite accepted, overseas military adventures of American history to find what the reality of the culture might be. These deeper ingrained ideals extend domestically.

Offline pablo

• Contributor with future
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
Liars figure and figures lie, too.

That's a wonderful ANALysis of what's wrong in America. 5555

I especially liked..." One needn't know {or study} the steadfast, and quite accepted, overseas military adventures of American history to find what the reality of the culture might be."

Like there's no history of any British "overseas military adventures"....your historical military conquests make America look like a flock of pacifists, 5555   redman

But enough on the topic for me.

I happen to like guns, and a few of you don't.

That's how it is, and I'm sure...how it will remain.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
All of this bollox just goes to show how fickle you Yanks really are thumbup thumbup

redrover

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Nay, gentlemen. I say a plague on both Yanks & Poms houses and their wretched histories. This comparative and superlative envy tends to be born of illusion.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick