{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: STEP UP A GEAR PEOPLE  (Read 8009 times)

Offline pbee

• Contributor with future
  • COOL HAND LUKE ?
STEP UP A GEAR PEOPLE
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:27:07 AM »
What is happening,are flights still coming to Thailand,are they diverted to provincial airports.Is it possible to change flight to Cambodia and travel across border? If not what are the options.This site is supposed to be for expats ,information is needed now. I have friends now trying to return UK,Intend to come over myself next week.TV and papers full of Bombay shootings not much Thailand. This is the ideal opportunity to show how usefull a web site can be.Paul helpsos helpsos helpsos

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Re: STEP UP A GEAR PEOPLE
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:44:10 AM »
What is happening,are flights still coming to Thailand,are they diverted to provincial airports.Is it possible to change flight to Cambodia and travel across border? If not what are the options.This site is supposed to be for expats ,information is needed now. I have friends now trying to return UK,Intend to come over myself next week.TV and papers full of Bombay shootings not much Thailand. This is the ideal opportunity to show how usefull a web site can be.Paul helpsos helpsos helpsos

Here some news we posted here yesterday.apparently all the arrival/depart flights moved to U-Tapao Airport to serve commercial flights instead of Suvarnabhumi , 140 kilometres southeast of Bangkok,so as it seems to be flights will have serious delays but still yet according to the news all flights will come and go through U-Tapao air-port.
LATE NEWS: Authorities have officially declared Suvarnabhumi airport closed until Saturday at 6pm at the earliest.

*If someone else have more accurate info please post it here. sawadi

U-Tapao Airport to serve commercial flights instead of Suvarnabhumi 
: 27 Nov 2008
U-Tapao Airport to serve commercial flights instead of Suvarnabhumi

BANGKOK, Nov 27 (TNA) - Thailand's Department of Civil Aviation will issue licenses to all airlines to transport passengers to and from U-Tapao military airport to solve the problem of stranded passengers after the shutdown of Suvarnabhumi Airport by anti government protesters, according to Chaisak Angsuwan, the department's acting director-general.

He said any airline ready to use the facilities at U-Tapao, 140 kilometres southeast of Bangkok, can inform the department directly.

Land facilities for air transport services at U-Tapao Airport will be provided by Thai Airways, the national carrier.

Meanwhile, Muslim pilgrims who want to travel to perform the Haj, or pilgrimage, to Saudi Arabia can leave from U-Tapao as well, he said. The department will also provide transportation from Bangkok to U-Tapao.

Meanwhile, about 400 Muslim pilgrims from Thailand's three southernmost provinces, who have been left stranded at Suvarnabhumi Airport during the PAD takeover, are leaving for U-Tapao to depart for Mecca after being approved by the Department of Civil Aviation. (TNA)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:54:34 AM by ADMIN »

Offline Bicko

• Muang Tam temple
    • Enjoying our success
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »
At this time (9.40am Friday) there are no flights in or out of Thailand that we are aware of. Both Bangkok airports are still occupied by demonstrators although riot police are now in place and it appears that they are ready to act in both locations.
A good option to consider is to fly into Vientiane, Laos. It is only a few kilometres from the Friendship bridge border crossing into Thailand then you can take a bus to any place in the country from there.
Hope this helps. I understand your concern and frustration. My grandson was due to arrive for a few weeks this morning but has had to cancell his visit.

OK I just saw the admin post and was not aware of that option. However Vientiane may be a means of avoiding delays.

Offline pbee

• COOL HAND LUKE ?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 07:24:45 PM »
MANY THANKS BICKO, I fly out friday 5th,If bangkok not sorted will try that option thanks. Hope your grandson is not to dissapointed and can make it over soon.All the best Paul.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:05:33 PM »

Hi

Just been speaking to a friend who was due to fly to UK last Tuesday, he is now in an hotel in Pattaya at Thai airways expense.  In a briefing today they were told that there are 20 flights due out of Utapao tomorrow of which 3 are allocated to Thai airways.

Just had a call from him and as of now 9.00pm he has been allocated a seat on a flight to Paris and is then on his own. At present on way to Utapao airport.

Good luck to all who need to fly at the moment!

TBWG sawadi

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »
Latest update I read saying Suvarnabhumi airport closed until Monday at the earliest.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:38:56 PM »

Hi

Just been speaking to a friend who was due to fly to UK last Tuesday, he is now in an hotel in Pattaya at Thai airways expense.  In a briefing today they were told that there are 20 flights due out of Utapao tomorrow of which 3 are allocated to Thai airways.

Just had a call from him and as of now 9.00pm he has been allocated a seat on a flight to Paris and is then on his own. At present on way to Utapao airport.

Good luck to all who need to fly at the moment!

TBWG sawadi

Hi

Latest from my friend now arrived in UK.................

Just to update on what really happened ! - we were told we were on our own after reaching Paris at the hotel before we accepted the flight. However at the checkin at U-Tapao only the Thai Air booked customers were told they would be transferred on a flight to London but because we were transferred from Gulf Air, we wouldn't be!  I was all ready to make my case at Paris and contact Gulf Air, but when we explained the situation to Thai Air in Paris and showed them our tickets, there was no problem and they gave us Business Class seats on Air France to Heathrow. I'm really satisfied that Thai Air did all they could to get us home and look after us despite some difficult situations and anger from other passengers.

The story also goes which we were told on the flight of a Thai 747-200 plane from U-Tapao, is that a Thai Air training pilot took the plane from the runway at Suvarnabhumi under the cover of darkness. The plane was boarded by volunteer staff and crew and they took off with no lights, using ladders to get into the plane!  I can't verify if this is true but we on the flight were all told this same story.

I've called a friend now still in the Ambasador City hotel in Pattaya and he's being offered a flight to Frankfurt later today. I will imagine he'll have a similar experience to us which is the nightmare at U-Tapao getting checked in and boarded. It makes still round the pool having a beer in Pattaya at Thai Airways expense a far more attractive offer !

Chat later,

TBWG sawadi
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:10:19 PM by ADMIN »

Offline pbee

• COOL HAND LUKE ?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »
RE , VIENTIANE/LAOS. Have checked out possibility of flying there instead of BKK,but ticket prices are extortionate £2000,£3000. Cambodia not much different.Things are looking bleak now from UK.Due to fly out on 5th,my boy on 4th.Qatar have cancelled all flights upto 3rd for now.
Not a happy man,Christmas in UK away from my family not a pleasing prospect.Keeping fingers crossed.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Dentist by Thai Bart
June 13, 2024, 11:34:50 AM

Re: House moving by Gerry
June 11, 2024, 03:39:27 PM

House moving by GEOFFREY
June 11, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Re: Dentist by dundeemk6
June 09, 2024, 03:49:48 PM

Re: Dentist by Thai Bart