{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Recycling catching on in Thailand cities  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Recycling catching on in Thailand cities
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
Recycling catching on in Thailand cities 
The Nation: 10 Feb 2010
City Watch
By Chularat Saengpassa The Nation

Garbage separation is now catching on among an even wider sector of the Thai population. At many companies in Bangkok, office workers no longer throw their empty water bottles into dustbins but put them into special boxes for cleaners to trade for a few dozen baht each day.

Some office workers also take the empty bottles back home so that they earn extra income. At schools too, a similar trend can be seen.

Most students know empty carbonated beverage cans and disposable plastic bottles are recyclable and they put them in designated spots for their greener world.

At Thammasat University's Rangsit Campus, the garbage bank project garnered over 400 tonnes of recyclable garbage in 2007 and 2008.

When sold, this massive amount of unwanted plastic and paper earns the project nearly Bt3.5million.

In Chiang Mai, efforts are up and running to organise the systematic collection of recyclable garbage in the northern province too.

"We have now registered more than 50 homeless people as scrap workers. They have uniforms and they go around town to collect recyclable stuff," Chiang Mai Iam Project manager Nuttaphong Jaruwunnaphong said recently.

Kiak Shai sae Tang, an independent scrap worker in Chiang Mai, recalls he used to earn Bt1,000 a day when he first collected recyclable garbage for sale in 1995.

"But now I earn only Bt300 a day because there's not so much recyclable stuff left in garbage bins," he said.

Kiak Shai said in recent years, city residents had become more aware of garbage values and many were not embarrassed to sell garbage for money.

"I've seen company workers selling recyclable and no-longer-wanted stuff from their offices," the elderly man said.

He said some well-dressed people have been seen driving around public parks collecting empty cans and water bottles for sale.

"That's why today I can find so few such items in the garbage bins," Kiak Shai said.

Thanks to garbage separation, the Wongpanit Recycling Factory's business is blooming and can sell franchises to investors interested in recycling scraps.

Franchisees, like Wongpanit Salaya-Nakhonchaisri, open their doors to individuals who wish to sell their throw-away stuff.

Although the garbage separation and recycling businesses are a good trend, they can lead people into falsely believing they have already acted in the best interests of the environment.

The environment in fact would be better off if humans were more cautious about their consumption.

Apart from "Recycle", everyone should think about two Rs of Reduce and Reuse.

Before global warming was seen as a risk, humans did not rely on bottled water. They carried flasks to quench their thirst during the day.

Today, city people rely on bottled water so much they drink it not only when they go out. For the sake of convenience, they even consume it at home.

So just as we have been taking notice of the recycle trend, we should be reminded that we have to reuse and reduce our consumption where possible too.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Recycling catching on in Thailand cities
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
I know the Villiage Stores do recycling.  I've seen a person come to these little stores and buy the bottles and cardboard. 

Offline swimming pizza

• Contributor with future
  • amazing thailand.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
I know the Villiage Stores do recycling.  I've seen a person come to these little stores and buy the bottles and cardboard. 

I tried it once, all the house was packed with junk and plastics,boxes,etc.
eventually we took the whole lot to a local shop in buriram city behind bus station, gave us 150+ for almost full pick up truck.  brick1 brick1 maybe we went to the wrong place. surrender1

boloa

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:28:58 PM »
I'm from Surin and in our village people have been recycling for the last 5 years to my knowledge thumbup.It's so easy to put plastic bottles in one bag and tins and glass bottles in another .Waste food can be given to the local dog,s and vegetable waste can be feed to the chickens.That only leaves a small amount of house hold waste left.this can be taken to the nearest communal waste bin for the local Amphur to collect.Please try and talk to local people to try and stop them from burning waste and plastic's,hasn't anybody ever heard of dioxins brick1.The world is turning but we're not learning. ::) ;D

somchai

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:48:44 PM »
I'm from Surin and in our village people have been recycling for the last 5 years to my knowledge thumbup.It's so easy to put plastic bottles in one bag and tins and glass bottles in another .Waste food can be given to the local dog,s and vegetable waste can be feed to the chickens.That only leaves a small amount of house hold waste left.this can be taken to the nearest communal waste bin for the local Amphur to collect.Please try and talk to local people to try and stop them from burning waste and plastic's,hasn't anybody ever heard of dioxins brick1.The world is turning but we're not learning. ::) ;D
Good on ya, B! We instinctively recycle most everything. Being farm/horticulturally based, most all bio waste is turned into mulch or fed to critters. The key, though, is not buying into the industrial infrastructure. We naturally stay away from processed and plastic items - as most of what we consume {eat} is in it's natural state. As for your turning world....perhaps the learning curve is different from the next. Not always a standard.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick