{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Nonsensical Paradox  (Read 4883 times)

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
Nonsensical Paradox
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »

Hi Bums

Health & Saftey gone barmy army!

I have just watched a clip about the British army operations in Afghanistan.

In the programme it shows UK military personel dressed in camoflague gear, nothing wrong with that, however, some members were wearing hi-viz jackets over the top of their fatigues. confused3

Now please do feel free to correct me if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but I was under the impression that you wore camoflague gear to blend into the background, secondly you wear a hi viz jacket to draw attention to yourself viz a viz (good pun, huh!) to avoid being run down on a motorway by some speeding lunatic!

Surely in a hostile environment like a warzone wearing one of these is akin to being a bullet magnet.  I really would like to know what deskbound twat thought up this regulation and nominate him for a tour of duty where he can test the effectiveness of hi viz profile by parading up and down the front line on  a daily basis, always assuming he last's more than a day.

Sometimes I do despair.

TBWG sawadi

Offline pbee

• Contributor with future
  • COOL HAND LUKE ?
Re: Nonsensical Paradox
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »
Unluckily I am in the front line. I am a foreman scaffolder in the UK,mainly in construction.Not only do I have to contend with all the safety officers concerned on the projects.I also have to contend with the site appointed safety people,who have attended a one day awareness course.Little men with a big badge. I must double handrail and toe board any scaffold over a foot high. How come I can stand on a railway platform with nothing to protect me from the edge? Still all the safety work we have to do is paid for,and in these times of recession,I need all the work I can get. Oh I forgot it is also company policy that I must wear a full body harness,even if working at ground level confused6 confused6 confused6

Offline ducati05

• Contributor with future
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Unluckily I am in the front line. I am a foreman scaffolder in the UK,mainly in construction.Not only do I have to contend with all the safety officers concerned on the projects.I also have to contend with the site appointed safety people,who have attended a one day awareness course.Little men with a big badge. I must double handrail and toe board any scaffold over a foot high. How come I can stand on a railway platform with nothing to protect me from the edge? Still all the safety work we have to do is paid for,and in these times of recession,I need all the work I can get. Oh I forgot it is also company policy that I must wear a full body harness,even if working at ground level confused6 confused6 confused6

I can understand your frustration, I started off as a steel erection rigger from everything from tower cranes to power stations and didnt have to wear anything except our riggers belt. but times have changed, lost a few mates over the years on sites and just 2 months ago we lost a young guy who just become a father, the scaffolders didn't fully ledger out the stair access, mist a tread on the ladder out the side he went, only 14 mtrs but dead..
  So if you want to send a good safety officer over here(U.A.E) he would earn his keep... Choc Dee oldmanwithstick

somchai

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »
Nonsensical Paradox. Romanticism Militarism.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick