{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Lourens Living the Life of Luxury in LOS  (Read 29309 times)

dave the dude

Re: Lourens Living the Life of Luxury in LOS
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
Project #78

For those weekday evenings when the wife is watching Thai soaps on TV and I just can't take it anymore. One day I will scale this project up to full size and fly myself to places I only dream of.

(More picture will follow as the project continues)

Hey Laurens
I used to build them in the UK. Good choice, a Supermarine Spitfire.
Can you source engines (elec or glowplug) over here?
or Solarfilm, wonderful stuff. I started out using WW1 type paper and dope.

Dave

Lourens

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 04:58:04 PM »

Hey Laurens
I used to build them in the UK. Good choice, a Supermarine Spitfire.
Can you source engines (elec or glowplug) over here?
or Solarfilm, wonderful stuff. I started out using WW1 type paper and dope.

Dave

There are quite a few places in Bangkok where I can get engines both electric and glowplug. The wood is from a stationer shop just down from the Bamboo bar. But this one is designed for a rubber band. Like I said - my first attempt. Maybe later I'll try something more ambitious. I've read a lot about the different coverings available but I'm not too sure what I'm looking for here. I saw some lightweight plastic sheeting that needs to be heated and shrunk into place. But what is this dope or banana oil? And can I use it with kite paper like when I was building kites when I was a younger kid? (BTW - the plan by Earl Stahl is scanned from a November 1946 copy of the magazine "Air World")

dave the dude

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 06:45:29 AM »
There are quite a few places in Bangkok where I can get engines both electric and glowplug. The wood is from a stationer shop just down from the Bamboo bar. But this one is designed for a rubber band. Like I said - my first attempt. Maybe later I'll try something more ambitious. I've read a lot about the different coverings available but I'm not too sure what I'm looking for here. I saw some lightweight plastic sheeting that needs to be heated and shrunk into place. But what is this dope or banana oil? And can I use it with kite paper like when I was building kites when I was a younger kid? (BTW - the plan by Earl Stahl is scanned from a November 1946 copy of the magazine "Air World")

The plastic sheet(Solarfilm) is the way to go. It has impregnated adhesive on one side and when warmed up (Hairdryer/Iron nearby&NOT on it) sticks to the balsa and shrinks tight. Its much better than the old fashion way of using paper. Electric motors are new to me but seem to be used most times, now that batteries are so advanced&light.

Dave

Offline bkkstan

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »
Lourens,I just want you to know that even I live in Nong Khai,I enjoy your blog very much.It is very humorous.Please continue!

Lourens

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »
Lourens,I just want you to know that even I live in Nong Khai,I enjoy your blog very much.It is very humorous.Please continue!

Thanks for that bkkstan. It should serve as motivation for me to start writing about the things I like again.

Anyway, as promised earlier, here are a couple more pictures of my ongoing project #78:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
Hi Lourens, How is your project going ?  wave1

Photos please.  type1

Search Option

Advanced Search