{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Non Immigrant O Extension Based on Marriage  (Read 198370 times)

Offline mudcat

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Non Immigrant O Extension Based on Marriage
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2024, 09:27:24 AM »
I received my LTR-WP (Long Term Resident - Wealthy Pensioner) visa at the end of October - I have not been back to the Immigration Office at Chang Arena since September when I transferred my extension of stay to my new passport and did my last 90-day report. 

The principal benefits to me are no contact with local immigration (1-year report), 10-years of validity (need to re-qualify at 5-years) and exemption from taxes on remitted funds from overseas (this may be important depending on your country of origin's tax treaty with Thailand - as a U.S. citizen with Social Security and a government pension I already was exempt [I think]).

The LTR visas are administered by BOI (Board of Investment  https://ltr.boi.go.th/).  Before getting your hopes up please understand that the requirements are designed to benefit Thailand by easing immigration rules for a small set of desired long term residents. 

The rules differ for each class, but for most of us up country expats would be applying for the same visa I received which requires a considerable amount of 'Passive" income (e.g. pensions, annuities, rental property, etc.) - the thresholds are USD80,000 per year for most, or USD 40,000 for those who are currently or are willing to invest ~USD250,000 into Thailand (and, no the house you built for your family will not count as you cannot not own it).  Additionally you need to demonstrate how you will pay for your health care (USD50,000 annual benefit) or show USD 100,000 in liquid assets (I used my U.S. Roth IRA, most need to show health insurance, but foreign policies are accepted unlike for the OA extensions). 

The only other possibilities for up-country folk is one is working in a highly skilled position that is designated by BOI as needed by Thailand (e.g. one of the pharmaceutical or high-tech companies in Korat) - for these people the Thai Income Tax is capped at 17%.

Worth taking a look at BOI's website and see if you believe you may qualify under one of the categories of visa they offer - if so I consider it a no brainer to apply to see if you really qualify as there is no cost until you are approved and travel to Bangkok to get the Visa and extension of stay stamped into your passport.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick