{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: A Naive Expat in Thailand  (Read 137928 times)

dave the dude

Re: A Naive Expat in Thailand
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »
Hi TBWG,

I note in one of your interesting tales, you talk about a 90 day border hop.   Have they now ceased that and only give you a 15 day border pass (by land) which means you will have tell 6 times more border hop stories.  Or do you have some kind of 90 day visa that needs renewing every 90 days and if so what is the visa name and conditions.

regards

Tony

Tony
If you enter the 'Land of Piles' by air and get the automatic 'Visa exemption' stamp for 30 days, once this term has expired and if you do a 'visa run' through a Land border (ie go out to Cambodia and back,for instance), you now only get a further stamp for 15 days. it used to be 30 BTW. No one living here permanantly or semi permanantly would use this method to stay here.

Most get a new Visa if they go 'home' each year or like me, get an annual visa extention, due to being married to a Thai. There are, of course other methods too.

Dave

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »
Hi TBWG,

I note in one of your interesting tales, you talk about a 90 day border hop.   Have they now ceased that and only give you a 15 day border pass (by land) which means you will have tell 6 times more border hop stories.  Or do you have some kind of 90 day visa that needs renewing every 90 days and if so what is the visa name and conditions.

regards

Tony

Hi KT

I only spend 7-8 months of the year OCT-MAY in Thailand so go back to the UK where I take advantage of getting a multi entry "O" visa from the Hull consulate. This allows me 90 day multi entries into Thailand.

I could go along to the immigration office every 90 days but usually use it as an excuse to visit some nearby country.

TBWG sawadi

Offline Khun Tony

• Contributor with future
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »
Thanks for the update on visa travel.   I'm coming over in December on a 60 day tourist visa from Aus.   Apparently, there is no charge for the tourist visa at present as they are trying to encourage tourists.   And with the US dollar as it is, it shouldn't be too hard.  Today you can get 30 baht to the Aussie dollar and god knows how many baht to the pound!

thanks anyway for your advice.   

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 09:11:35 PM »

Mastication and Toothpicks!

Why is it that after a meal with the family, should I wish to pick out remnants of Som Tam or Phad Gai from my teeth with a toothpick and fail to cover my mouth with my hand it is considered a major social blunder.

OK maybe it is, but I find it hard to swallow (no pun intended) when I have just had to endure watching them chomping away on gawd knows what, with their mouths half open and engaging in conversation whilst having a mouth full and spraying it everywhere and making a noise like a cement mixer!

When I try to point out this anomaly I am accused of not understanding Thai culture brick1

TBWG sawadi

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 05:12:46 AM »
It's even worse when they pick their noses and old grandma sits nearby dribbling betel nut juices in to a plastic bag. confused2

I have no need for a toothpick at these times. I refuse to sit and eat with them! runningdog

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »
I agree 200% with TBWG happy2

I find it rather sanctimonious for un-educated village people to lecture me on manners (practise or custom I suppose rather than manners - it just feels like you are being "told off") when they have bad eating habits.  :o.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:01:14 AM by ADMIN »

Offline Bigbus

• Contributor with future
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2009, 05:21:12 PM »
Also agree with TBWG....When I took my stepson to Canada he was shocked but his eating habit hard to be corrected very quickly.....

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
Temptation?

Whilst driving around I am astounded by the amount of white graffiti on the road! i.e. police evidence marking the demise of yet another motorcyclist.

Do you think I would be pushing the bounds of good taste if I was to cut out a life-size template, sporting a stonking great erection and under cover of darkness spray the outline at strategic points?

Should you at some time in the future come across an outline featuring a large stiffy, confused4 then you know I have succumbed to temptation!

TBWG sawadi

Lourens

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »
Are you inviting a dare here?

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
Are you inviting a dare here?

Hi Lourens

Of course not, I would never dream of doing something so childish & purile...... But then again? confused1 biggreen

TBWG sawadi

Lourens

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2009, 08:25:44 AM »
OK then - I dare you.  >:D I'll be in Buriram shortly and I expect to see this artwork somewhere very conspicious.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2009, 08:36:50 AM »
As some of you may know I am a teacher here in Buriram.

I still have numerous students who have not "made the grade" for the first term of this school year. They were supposed to send their late work and sit a re test in November. Some of them didn't turn up and those that did shouldn't have bothered.

As the students quite obviously cannot pass the test it is now down to me to give them some sort of project/assignment for them to prove to me that they are indeed good,diligent,intelligent and polite young humans and are in actual fact just "misunderstood".

TBWG..you have given me an idea.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2009, 10:47:24 AM »
OK then - I dare you.  >:D I'll be in Buriram shortly and I expect to see this artwork somewhere very conspicuous.

Hi Lourens

Your challenge sounds interesting and I started to put my plans into action .... however, the Boss Lady caught me in the act of making the first template (see pic) and has now imposed a dusk till dawn curfew on my movements.

Added to this she tells me that the BIB (Boys in Brown) are very touchy about effigies showing disproportionate private parts as it makes them feel inadequate, angry1 consequently they come down hard on any wrongdoers! Especially farangs, as it is common knowledge that they are all hung like donkey's! blink1

So I am afraid it will have to be put on the backburner for the time being!

TBWG sawadi

[attachment deleted by admin]

dave the dude

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »
I'd just like to add I used to live near to 'The Long Man of Wilmington" and it was very tempting not to add a few bits extra!  jumping8

Lourens

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »
Aaah well - as such the plans of many a hero are brought to naught by the mighty fur...  :(

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick