{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: A Naive Expat in Thailand  (Read 137682 times)

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
Re: A Naive Expat in Thailand
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »
Did you see any Routemaster buses in the bottom of those holes TBWG ?  smilenod

I'm sure I saw at least one in a pothole when I was there last.  runningdog

Cheers, John

Hi J the T

Can't say I have ever seen any routemasters in the potholes, but I have seen a buffalo wallowing in one whilst on my travels. (pothole that is not a bus!!!) 

TBWG buriram_united sawadi

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »
Quote from: TBWG on Today at 01:48:05 AM

Thai police labour as mobile midwives

Police help in delivering babies when pregnant women get stuck in Bangkok's notorious traffic jams.
    Maher Sattar  26 Sep 2012
    i
    The police midwives special unit was set up under the Royal Traffic Police Project [EPA]

Nineteen-year-old Sotika Cheunoi was late, and she was starting to worry. It was an early July morning, a little before 8 AM, and around her thousands of other teenagers were stuck in their cars on their way to school, frustrated by and contributing to Bangkok traffic at its formidable worst.

Unlike her fellow teenagers, however, Sotika was heading not to school but to the hospital. Nine months pregnant with her second child, she had gone into labour that morning and by the time her sister managed to find a taxi to pick them up from their home in a north Bangkok slum, the streets were already in the throes of school traffic.

Alarmed, Sotika and her sister soon realised they were not going to get to the hospital on time.

In a last-ditch effort, the panicking taxi driver called the police, requesting their aid in clearing the road to allow them to pass through quicker. Still, in the bumper-to-bumper gridlock, they knew they would not make it.

"I couldn't bear it anymore," Sotika recalls, her eyes widening as she revisits the experience. "There I was in the back seat of the taxi, just sitting in my underwear, trying to force the baby out."

Salvation came in the form of an unlikely saviour. Within minutes of the taxi driver's call, Mana Jokkoksung, 43, a rather portly traffic policeman with a round, friendly face arrived at the scene on his motorcycle and proceeded to deliver his standard introduction.

"My name is Mana," he said in a composed voice. "I am an officer of the Royal Thai Police. I have been trained by many hospitals to help you give birth, so please be calm and let me help you." Then he knelt down and got to work.

Roadside emergency births take place in other countries too. But Bangkok's notorious traffic jams, with expressways and interior roads alike coming to a grinding halt for hours almost every day, have forced city authorities to come up with innovative ways to deal with an unconventional problem - what to do with the increasing number of pregnant women who get stuck on their way to the hospital.

More than five million cars, pickup trucks, and motorbikes are registered in the Thai capital. In contrast, New York, another city noted for its congestion issues, had 1.9 million registered vehicles according to 2010 statistics, despite being two and a half times the size of Bangkok.

All these vehicles are crammed into Bangkok's inadequate road network. The city has a road surface area that accounts for only 8 per cent of the metropolis, compared to 20-30 per cent in most Western municipalities.

To cope with the problem, a special unit of police midwives was formed under the auspices of the Royal Traffic Police Project, which was set up in 1993 to help people stranded in traffic. It was this unit that was called into action by the traffic control hotline contacted by Sotika's taxi driver.

The officers are trained every year at Bangkok Hospital, and also receive training from Honda to drive safely, a critical element of their preparations as they frequently hit speeds of up to 150 km/h when rushing towards an emergency.

Earlier this year, the police delivered their 100th baby, and since then the tally has risen to 107. "At the beginning, people thought it was strange," says Mana. "Now they see we can actually do this."

Mana, who says he has delivered 47 of these newborns, is one of the unit's star officers.

"When I volunteered for the traffic police, I thought I'd be directing traffic. The first time [I delivered a baby] I was shaking, I was excited, scared. Scared of the blood coming out, scared of the head coming out. Even now, I wonder if I'll get there on time, if I'll find the car. I didn't know if I could do this, I wasn't confident, but after training I can now do the job of a doctor," he says.

Mana sees his own initial hesitancy in new recruits, who are at first paired with experienced officers.

"There was a case in Ratchada [a neighborhood in north Bangkok] with a pregnant woman about to give birth, where my trainee, Chalee, became so nervous he started shaking, so I had to get him to calm down."

Another rookie at the unit, Araya Pomkhai, is more serene at the prospect of being confronted by such a situation.

"I have to be calm," he says. "Otherwise, the mother will get nervous."

One factor behind Araya's phlegmatic attitude may be that he has been in a similarly harrowing scenario once already, which he thinks contributed to his superior assigning him to the midwives unit.

"Seventeen years ago I delivered my own son," Araya says.

"We were stuck in traffic. I was with my wife, my mother, and our maid. I had no idea what to do. My wife was in pain, she was screaming, but she worked at a hospital lab and was able to tell me what I needed to do.

"But my son had fluid in his throat, and I didn't have the equipment to suck it out. My wife was yelling that if it wasn't cleared our child would die. So I used my mouth to suck out the fluid myself. When he was young, everyone called our son Nong [little brother] Expressway."

According to Araya and Mana, crowds gather quickly with cellphone cameras ready in these situations, presenting police with a quandary as to how to protect the woman's privacy. The reactions of the taxi drivers are also often interesting, they say, as many of them think a birth in their car will bring them good luck.

Araya's son had to stay in the hospital for a month, as he was prone to viruses. Sotika's newborn, Cream, is also experiencing problems after her traumatic birth. Mana says giving birth in the back seat of a taxi is obviously not ideal, but acknowledges that at least a few such incidents are inevitable.

"The problem is you never know when you will go into labour. And you want company, so you want to find someone who will go with you. Sometimes the traffic is unpredictably bad, and sometimes the delivery is unpredictably quick," Mana says.

"Another important factor is expenses. The rich can go to the hospital early. The poor wait. Most of the families [whose babies I've delivered] are low-income, sometimes they are migrant workers."

Sotika lives in the Tuk Daeng [Red Building] community, a slum on the northern edges of the city, beyond the reach of Bangkok's skytrain and subway network. Her home is deep within the slum, accessible only by a narrow walkway that would be unable to accommodate two motorcycles passing each other.

Even within the slums, a hierarchy exists. A neighbour living closer to the road gives directions to Sotika's place, adding "oh, they're very poor" in a tone that manages to be both sympathetic and condescending.

Inside the one-room home, which is missing a wall, two-month-old Cream sleeps on a sheet spread out on the floor.

"Her [Cream's] skin was yellow at first, and her blood sugar is low, so she has to go for regular check-ups at the doctor," Sotika says, inadvertently explaining the origin of her daughter's nickname.

On the morning Cream was born, Sotika woke up with labor pains around 5 AM, but couldn't leave for the hospital immediately.

"I had to wait for my sister," she says. "Cream's father had just been released from prison, and he was visiting his mother after getting out.

"I had heard some stories about the police midwives service, but I had never thought it would be me. Afterwards, all my neighbors said I was famous now, they couldn't believe I was on TV."

Because he views the city's traffic problem as "not solveable", Mana urges expecting mothers to plan ahead. Sotika has a simpler solution.

"No more babies for me," she says.

Thai police labour as mobile midwives

"No more babies for me," she says.

Somehow I can't help thinking this is one ****ed up life!

"Nineteen-year-old Sotika Cheunoi was late, and she was starting to worry.  Nine months pregnant with her second child, she had gone into labour that morning.

Her [Cream's] skin was yellow at first, and her blood sugar is low, so she has to go for regular check-ups at the doctor, Sotika says, inadvertently explaining the origin of her daughter's nickname.

Inside the one-room home, which is missing a wall, two-month-old Cream sleeps on a sheet spread out on the floor.

Cream's father had just been released from prison, and he was visiting his mother after getting out."

So we have a 19 year old with 2 kids, one jaundiced living in a slum with a criminal for a father who is not around at the birth of his child.

Great recipe for a worthwhile life!

Harsh as it may sound ~~~ Sotika, kid you shoulda went to school!

TBWG

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »
What the ???

Well for reasons that escape me I decided to visit the Buddha room in the house for first time in ages.

Now I am aware of Buddha days, King days, fathers day and many other days that require offerings of beer, fags and various other perishables but this was a new one on me ~~~ Mr Pastry and family!

When I asked the Boss Lady what this was all about? she said that it is to appease all the people that she might have offended in years gone by.  My comment that she must have been a mean bitch in the past to need to practice such atonement did not go down well.

But what the hell it is one of the few offerings that cost me nought!

I am also under the impression that this work of art has to be left on display for one year, so ants take your time its going nowhere in a hurry!

TBWG     buriram_united sawadi

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2012, 06:44:47 AM »
my tea leaves say you have 7 kids and she knows it! TGWM 555

Offline DeputyDavid

« Reply #199 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:58 PM »
Well I hope someone is reading my literary masterpieces .....as there seems to be a distinct lack of posts encouraging me. tired2

But what the hell I'm thick skinned I'll continue anyway! so here goes. party9

Vol 9 Act 43 (take one)

Well after a few weeks of keeping my nose clean I am now in the boss ladies good books, so much so that I have now been allowed to go back out on the Honda Phantom, that should increase my range and opportunity for mischief!

But back to more mundane things, I am expecting a visit from an ex work colleague back in the UK. So I suppose some tidying up is in order, to start with I think I will sweep the drive, so where is my yard broom brought at great inconvenience and expense from the UK ( Thai brooms as far as I am concerned are about as much use as glass hammer).

What's this some insect has had it for breakfast!! see pic

Well perhaps Thai brooms have some merit after all! But I'll fix those buggers a good immersing overnight in the water pot should do the trick. Next day I am able to sweep the drive but broom is shedding bristles left right and centre, oh well, thats life.

What's next, ahh yes top up the secret fridge for said guests arrival. As all old Thai hands know it is essential to have a private stock of goodies , beer etc. as it is mandatory that every Thai visiting a fridge has to consume the contents on the spot. In my experience that is why all Thai households have a b****y great fridge that contains only bottled water and out of date medicines, pills, potions and associated medical c**p. Thais being the biggest hypocondriacs on the face of the planet.

I say secret fridge everyone knows it exists, but enters it only on pain of Buddha's wrath as I have managed to convince everyone that me and him have a secret pact regarding the wellbeing of the content's. If anyone even thinks about touching our supply of Toblerones they will suffer a particularly nasty attack of boils. So far its seems to have done the trick!!

Well we are all ready for arrival of my guest, who is visiting Thailand for the first time. I'm not worried about him as he is a seasoned traveller having spent many years in Uganda flogging cast off MOT failure tyre's to the locals. It appears that after the downfall of Big Idi (Amin) tyre's where hard to come by so he packed off container loads of UK rejects which where quickly snapped up by the grateful locals who where fed up using inflated goats bladders!

Not too sure about the goats bladders, but the locals managed to get another 30,000 miles out of our cast offs before the canvas vanished into the ether!!

So I'm not to concerned about him, but then I had not considered Suvarnaphum airport. He arrives safely courtesy of Etihad Airlines breezes through immigration and baggage reclaim and is making his way down the travellator to the lower level, it is now that the fickle hand of fate decides to intervene. He has trouble with the new fangled baggage trolley and just catches the person in front a glancing blow. No problem, however the German tourist following with a well loaded cart just can't stop the thing and catches my mate full square on the back of the ankles. Result exits airport in wheelchair straight to hospital for X-rays and emeges with one leg in plaster and on crutches!!

Now bearing in mind the boss lady won't allow me a car, getting about on a motorsai with crutches is really a no no, so off he go's by taxi to Pattaya and the last I heard is that he is getting a lot of sympathy from some friendly young ladies.

Not sure what the moral is there other than watch those baggage carts at the airport.

God .... I love Thailand

I am reading them all from the beginning....keep them coming!!!

Offline DeputyDavid

« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2013, 02:05:55 AM »
What the ???

Well for reasons that escape me I decided to visit the Buddha room in the house for first time in ages.

Now I am aware of Buddha days, King days, fathers day and many other days that require offerings of beer, fags and various other perishables but this was a new one on me ~~~ Mr Pastry and family!

When I asked the Boss Lady what this was all about? she said that it is to appease all the people that she might have offended in years gone by.  My comment that she must have been a mean bitch in the past to need to practice such atonement did not go down well.

But what the hell it is one of the few offerings that cost me nought!

I am also under the impression that this work of art has to be left on display for one year, so ants take your time its going nowhere in a hurry!

TBWG     buriram_united sawadi

OMG, this is so funny.  I nearly fell of my chair laughing, only because I can relate to it so well.  I know this thread has been going a while, but I look forward to many more posts.  I might offer one of my own, however I am not as elequant writer as yourself TBWG.

I plan to retire in a mere 8 years but I figure I best get started with the major purchases now as to have such things like land and tractors paid for upon retirement.  (Good idea?)  So I say to the TW, maybe we should look for some land to buy.  I want to build a modest apartment building with 3 or so "stalls" for shops below.  If all goes well it should have larger living space for the manager (Me...ok who am I kidding.....it will be the wife), space for parking, 20 or so rooms, enough so that the wife has a nice income when I am gone, (which brings me to the ST rooms I learned about on here....good idea?)  OK, so back to the main point....I tell the wife we should look and within hours there are photos in her email from her family who have gone out and found all of these remarkable deals on land "close to Big C."  It seems all the available land is "close to Big C" and only costs about 3-5 million baht per 100 sqm.   Call me crazy, but like most people these days I will need to finance the purchase (when I find one reasonably priced) and explained that to the TW.  Well dont you know the only thing she knows is that giving the owner about half the agreed upon amount and paying the rest to the owner "when we have it, next year" is the way business is done.  When I tried to explain modern banking, she thought I was absolutely off my rocker.  It is just not done that way.  So I ask where she thinks we would get about 50,000 USD to "pay the man?"  I dont know was the response, "dont you have it?"  Thankfully after contacting the bank in Thailand and having THEM explain modern banking to her, they said since we reside full time in America, they could not help us.  At this point, I am thankful.  Cash transaction later may be the best bet.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Whilst  bicycling about in the Satuk boonies admiring the charcoal remnants of sugar cane when I stumbled across a rural disaster.

Daisy a local cow was minding her own business chewing cud when she got the shock of her life (well death actually)!

Out of the blue she was nuked by several thousand volts as a power cable broke free and zapped her across the buttocks. The errant power cable then proceeded to set fire to the nearby eucalyptus trees and also some tyres that just happened to be stored nearby!

If Daisy was not deceased at this time she certainly would be after being engulfed in all the toxic rubber fumes.

Not sure what the moral of this story is, but can only say be careful where you park your cow and avoid any rubber flavoured meat that suddenly appears in the local market!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM