{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Culture, Education or what???  (Read 68084 times)

Offline Gerry

• Contributor on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Culture, Education or what???
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2023, 05:20:24 PM »
Good Morning/Afternoon

Another update.

More Thai bashing. Same words being used.

Obviously, with Songkran upon us the Thai driving situation is the main topic. One that most of us likely agree with.

Other things I've seen are culture issues. I've seen posts calling Thai ceremonies "stupid". Isaan in laws "stupid". Only this morning I've seen people calling Songkran traditions "nonsense".

When I scroll back in time on the same forums I see expats wishing everyone "Merry Christmas", "Happy New Year". What's the difference? In fact, some expats seem to shield their families from the Thai traditions of Songkran, Bhuddist lent, ordinations and family ceremonies but actively promote western festivals. Something I don't understand.

There are often threads about ceremonies. Especially in the villages. I've been to some enjoyable ones. Admittedly the music gets on one's nerves after a while, loud and too much bass, but so what. It's their party. Let them get on with it.

My wife once told her friends that here in UK she'd been to a 40th birthday party, a 50th and a 70th. She'd been to a christening, engagement party, a 25th wedding anniversary, 50th and 60th. All ceremonies that, to my knowledge, Thais don't do. They were quite amazed at our traditions but also seemed to be happy that we did. Shame some expats can't be happy for the Thais having parties we don't have in the west.

The hungry do seem to have found their bacon and sausages though.

Totally agree.

I was in town a while back and the Mormons rode past on their bicycles eearing the usual  white shirts and black trousers. The comments about them and what they are doing in Thailand  from some expats in the bar were not exactly flattering.

These are they were the same expats that had reviously had a go at me for not pushing Christmas in our house and allowing and part funding an ordination ceremony for our nephew. Double standards all round.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 05:22:02 PM by Gerry »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM