{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: thai funeral  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
thai funeral
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »
This week I had the opportunity to be in a thai funeral in the village,that was scarring,they use small rockets that for me seems not safety at all,the way they do it is surround the dead person with steel wires and every corner have small rockets that runs to the other corner and light the next rocket..(picture attached) uffffff first time I see this thing ..  :o

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:52:34 AM by ADMIN »

Offline Yellow Tree

• Personal Message for Skype
Re: thai funeral
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »
The fireworks are for protection against bad spirits.

I went to a country-style funeral in Buriram a while back; it was very different than anything I had seen before for sure.

Country life in Buriram is very much intertwined with the Spirit World. For example: you would not step on the threshold of a doorway because the spirit of the house lives there; it might make the spirit mad and bring bad things to the house. When a Thai drives past the Wat he/she will take their hands off the steering wheel to saawatdee to the ghosts/ancestors residing there. Many country-Thais will saawatdee to a musical instrument before it is played because it is the ghost of the instrument that makes the music good.

I remember on one trip to the village a young man committed suicide. During his High School days he had a crush on my (now) wife. It was determined to be best that my wife did not go to the funeral because the dead man's spirit might steal my wife's spirit and take it to the next life. When this was determined as a possibility there was no discussion.
 Farangs may snicker at some of the ghost-things, but they are very serious to the Thais.

I have tried to attach a picture of a funeral pier from the funeral I went to. After testimonials are given about the person's life the funeral pier is set afire. After the ashes are cooled they are gathered up and spread in a particular part of the Temple grounds; this particular Wat spreads the ashes next to the wall next to the road. For the members with a morbid curiosity: human flesh burns with a green flame.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Re: thai funeral
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »
The fireworks are for protection against bad spirits.

I went to a country-style funeral in Buriram a while back; it was very different than anything I had seen before for sure.

Country life in Buriram is very much intertwined with the Spirit World. For example: you would not step on the threshold of a doorway because the spirit of the house lives there; it might make the spirit mad and bring bad things to the house. When a Thai drives past the Wat he/she will take their hands off the steering wheel to saawatdee to the ghosts/ancestors residing there. Many country-Thais will saawatdee to a musical instrument before it is played because it is the ghost of the instrument that makes the music good.

I remember on one trip to the village a young man committed suicide. During his High School days he had a crush on my (now) wife. It was determined to be best that my wife did not go to the funeral because the dead man's spirit might steal my wife's spirit and take it to the next life. When this was determined as a possibility there was no discussion.
 Farangs may snicker at some of the ghost-things, but they are very serious to the Thais.

I have tried to attach a picture of a funeral pier from the funeral I went to. After testimonials are given about the person's life the funeral pier is set afire. After the ashes are cooled they are gathered up and spread in a particular part of the Temple grounds; this particular Wat spreads the ashes next to the wall next to the road. For the members with a morbid curiosity: human flesh burns with a green flame.

That is something I rather not to know..  :blink:

Great report. keep it going.. party4

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod