{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Health insurance mandatory?!  (Read 13483 times)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: Health insurance mandatory?!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 03:23:10 PM »
<snip>
To be honest, I would hope that most people living here long term would not need an immigration rule to make sure they have health insurance. Surely it is common sense to have it anyway??

I fully agree, but unfortunately they DON'T.

he was very angry that with the new rules that money can't go below 400k during the year.

I think we all know why that decision was made. I don't think it is a mere coincidence that the new insurance policy has to have 400k minimum cover for those on an O-A.

That's the long term over 50s sorted. How will they manage those on extensions based on marriage?

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
<snip>
To be honest, I would hope that most people living here long term would not need an immigration rule to make sure they have health insurance. Surely it is common sense to have it anyway??

I fully agree, but unfortunately they DON'T.

he was very angry that with the new rules that money can't go below 400k during the year.

I think we all know why that decision was made. I don't think it is a mere coincidence that the new insurance policy has to have 400k minimum cover for those on an O-A.

That's the long term over 50s sorted. How will they manage those on extensions based on marriage?

Good point, no idea, but with the Influx of new applicants for the Marriage extension (GL already posted somewhere that the waiting period is now already at 2 months (instead of the normal 30 days), I suspect (but that is just guessing on my part) that they will make that extension more difficult and maybe increase the amount.

As with everything here, Let's wait and see what's going to happen !!

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
If mid January next year (when I have to get a new extension of Marriage) and the waiting (under consideration) period is over 2 months, I have NO other choice then go for Retirement as we have a 3 month trip to Europe planned mid-end March !

Offline blackcow

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 04:21:06 PM »
The thing that I do not understand is that this new requirement was voted on and passed by cabinet, what cabinet? The election has still to be decided. Maybe I am missing something, would not be the first time.
Oh well just another day in LoS

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 04:33:44 PM »
If mid January next year (when I have to get a new extension of Marriage) and the waiting (under consideration) period is over 2 months, I have NO other choice then go for Retirement as we have a 3 month trip to Europe planned mid-end March !

Do you have to wait for approval every time you extend based on marriage? I thought that was only the first time? That?s crazy!!

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »

Do you have to wait for approval every time you extend based on marriage? I thought that was only the first time? That?s crazy!!

Yes, everytime.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 04:49:23 PM »
Yes it's every time. The reason for that it's not a LOCAL decision it must be send to the division Headquarters (I believe for us it's Khon Kaen) and they make the decision.

(That's why the 2 separate "piles" of documents you have to prepare (one for local, one for HQ ;))

First year was quick (less then a month) this year it was 39 days, next year it will be ........ days ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:53:09 PM by iammike »

Offline NongKi bloke

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
It's just been clarified on thaivisa that mandatory health insurance is for non O-A Visa which are 12 month multi entry Visa that are obtained in embassies abroad and not Visa extensions based on retirement obtained here in Thailand. Probably change a few more times yet.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »
It's just been clarified on thaivisa that mandatory health insurance is for non O-A Visa which are 12 month multi entry Visa that are obtained in embassies abroad and not Visa extensions based on retirement obtained here in Thailand. Probably change a few more times yet.

A bit slow aren't they, Thai Visa that is.

It was clarified on here yesterday.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »

A bit slow aren't they, Thai Visa that is.

It was clarified on here yesterday.

+1

Offline NongKi bloke

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 07:15:14 PM »
My bad, I didn't read the first page of this topic.

Offline PhilJ

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »
"The Nation" website doing its part to confuse. Changed the title of basically the same article:

14/5/19  "Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners" 
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369323

16/5/19  "Mandatory health insurance for retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July"  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »
Interested to know if there are any changes of view on who this is going to effect. Pretty much every article and discussion on various forums refers to OA visa but also long stayers over 50.
Can?t help but think this is likely to be a requirement for those on extensions based on retirement.
Also, what about those over 50 who are on extensions based on marriage. Why would a health risk and associated costs/ability to pay be any less because of how yo7 qualify your stay here.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 10:50:33 PM »
Interested to know if there are any changes of view on who this is going to effect. Pretty much every article and discussion on various forums refers to OA visa but also long stayers over 50.
Can?t help but think this is likely to be a requirement for those on extensions based on retirement.
Also, what about those over 50 who are on extensions based on marriage. Why would a health risk and associated costs/ability to pay be any less because of how yo7 qualify your stay here.

100% only O-A visas. These are the visas that are only available at embassies in your own country. If you read the article it says "long term visas". Anyone who goes to immigration to extend their stay are not on a visa. They are on an extended permission to stay. Ironically those that enter on an O-A visa, that don't wish to buy health insurance, can go to immigration just before their year stay has expired, and extend for another year.

Of course, those wishing to extend an O-A at immigration need to adhere to the financial requirements.

This is where the difference is. To stay in Thailand on an O-A there is no requirement to have cash in a Thai bank. For a extensions there is. Currently all retirement extensions require 800k to be in a Thai bank for 5 months a year and for that balance to never fall below 400k, not surprisingly the same amount as the cover required for insurance on an O-A.

Marriage extensions seem to be the one that immigration are leaving alone. There is the requirement for 400k in the bank but only for 2 months, 3 maybe if you include the waiting time to be approved in Khon Kaen. Maybe the powers that be believe that in any medical emergency family would help out. I would hazard a guess that this is what they are thinking. I don't subscribe to the idea that the Thai authorities are trying to get rid of expats. They just don't want them to be a burden. I don't believe that they want to split up families and hence the marriage extension is the easiest to obtain financially, although there is a copious amounts of documents required.

I have tried to point out, a few times on here, the different terminology of staying here in Thailand. It really is quite important to know.

The health insurance requirement is for "Long term visas". That is the jurisdiction of the MFA. "Extensions of stay" are under the jurisdiction of the Royal Thai Police.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:54:44 PM by Starman »

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »
Thank you Starman. A very clear explanation.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick