{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Health insurance mandatory?!  (Read 13489 times)

Offline PhilJ

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Health insurance mandatory?!
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
I think this has been addressed before. Now official??  Rates look reasonable.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369323

https://longstay.tgia.org/

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Health insurance mandatory?!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:47:15 AM »
I was expecting this to happen, and already talked to my insurer from my Home Country.

They will write me a letter that I am insured with them and I have to enclose what they cover myself. (Cost Price)

The Cover per year with them is without a limit and I pay is just a bit more then I would pay for the 400.000 THB cover with this Thai Insurance !

But the only issue I am seeing is how would Immigration know this is a valid insurance ???

Offline PhilJ

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:16:19 AM »
Will be interesting. The article did include this statement: "We are going to discuss with relevant authorities on how to check the validity of health insurance bought from overseas." U.S. Medicare won't cover my claims from here so I'll look into those shown here.  https://longstay.tgia.org/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:19:10 AM by PhilJ »

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 08:23:37 AM »
My Insurance fortunately does. I got admitted to Bangkok Hospital Korat on 2 occasions and my insurance (from abroad) paid everything !!

Settlement took longer then paying yourself, but that was because of the agent they use here, but everything paid, no claims afterwards etc.

Edit: I could pay myself and then claim it from them, and payment takes less then 7 days.
Had an Eye Scare last year, raked up bills in total of around 40k THB. (Bangkok Hospital Pattaya). When we got back home, scanned them all in (inclu. Medical Certificates) send them to the insurer via their web-portal, and within 7 days I got all the money back from them.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:27:26 AM by iammike »

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »
We just have to wait and see how this plays out !

On Thaivisa there is a discussion about that some people say its only for people on Long-stay Visa's and not for people who are on a Extension of Stay

Visa's you get at an Embassy/Consulate.
Extension of Stay you get at Immigration !

Offline PhilJ

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
Sounds like your insurance company is really good and efficient.  Great choice you made.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »
Sounds like your insurance company is really good and efficient.  Great choice you made.

Thx, it's a so Called "Expat Living Abroad" insurance. I also last year had my wife added to the policy, same benefits. For small stuff she will still go to the local hospital, but major things it's off to a Private Hospital.

I just hope that when this mandatory Health Insurance scheme is going mainstream, my insurance is accepted, don't want to pay an extra 50k in premium for (IMHO) mediocre coverage.

Offline Smithy

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:26:25 AM »
The article in the news is only for applying for a OA long stay visa at the Thai embassy in you home country.
Not for anyone on a Visa extention yet !!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:28:07 AM by Smithy »

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »
The article in the news is only for applying for a OA long stay visa at the Thai embassy in you home country.
Not for anyone on a Visa extention yet !!!!

Yep, approx the same what I wrote in Post #4

BUT ..... there are as always the OWN interpretation of Rules by Immigration Officers here. So even when it's NOT for Visa-Extensions (YET) they could say it is ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:40:55 AM by iammike »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
This is a perfect example of how important it is to understand terminology.

It quite clearly states "New applicants for O-A visa and those wishing to renew their visa".

This has nothing at all to do with immigration offices within Thailand. The chances are that they will not even know about this rule.

O-A visas are issued outside of Thailand and are governed by the MFA.

Those who use immigration withing Thailand to "extend their permission to stay" are not affected.

With regards to insurance being required for an O-A visa, this rule has been known for some time.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »
^ +1

But how long will it take before it is required for those on extension of stay. I think (but that is just my guess) not long as that is a major group of people staying in the Kingdom. The group on the Non O-A visa is IMHO not that big !!

One more thing/question, the Non-O-A you get OUTSIDE of the Country, why are there only THAI insurers listed and prices in Thai Baht, is that for renewal ???

Because if it is a requirement to get the NON-O-A it should be not be a issue that you can get it from an Insurer in your Home Country.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
^ +1

But how long will it take before it is required for those on extension of stay. I think (but that is just my guess) not long as that is a major group of people staying in the Kingdom. The group on the Non O-A visa is IMHO not that big !!

One more thing/question, the Non-O-A you get OUTSIDE of the Country, why are there only THAI insurers listed and prices in Thai Baht, is that for renewal ???

Because if it is a requirement to get the NON-O-A it should be not be a issue that you can get it from an Insurer in your Home Country.

The Thai insurance companies are listed as a reference. It does say in the article that you can have insurance from your home country.

To be honest, I would hope that most people living here long term would not need an immigration rule to make sure they have health insurance. Surely it is common sense to have it anyway??

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
<snip>
To be honest, I would hope that most people living here long term would not need an immigration rule to make sure they have health insurance. Surely it is common sense to have it anyway??

I fully agree, but unfortunately they DON'T.

Friend of mine in Pattaya, 60ish of age, is relying on the money in the bank (800k) to pay for any health issues that may occur, he was very angry that with the new rules that money can't go below 400k during the year. Only solution for him is to put more money in his account. And when I said "Why not get health insurance and be done with" he replied "waste of money".

800k is not a lot when you develop a major illness.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »
Ive read the article. Personally I don't think it is clear that this won?t apply to those already here on extensions, be they based on marriage or retirement. Its poorly written. You may well be right that it doesnt but until there is actually something formal from the government as opposed to a reporters interpretation on information I think the jury is out.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:35:00 PM by Freddy »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 02:32:43 PM »
Ive read the article. Personally I don't think it is clear that this won?t apply to those already here on extensions, be they based on marriage or retirement. Its poorly written. You may well be right that it doesnt but until there is actually something formal from the government as opposed to a reporters interpretation on information I think the jury is out.

If it included those on extensions of stay there would need to be a police order issued to change the immigration law.

This change has been made at a cabinet meeting as it covers MFA and not immigration.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick