{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: learning to drive  (Read 9142 times)

Offline notrub

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
learning to drive
« on: May 29, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »
How does an 18 year old Thai person learn to ride in order to be able to pass the test for a driver's permit?  Is there a learner's permit category in Thailand?   Otherwise how can they legally practice driving pre permit?  I hope not only on private land.  Thanks

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: learning to drive
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
They cannot legally drive until they have a licence.

They cannot get a licence until they have passed a test.....

.... or paid money.

Offline Somnat

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »
BRY in Buriram (honda motorbikes) run a learners course for cars.

No idea of the costs.

I believe (but stand to be corrected) that they do the actual testing as well. So no visit to the DLT.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 04:07:24 PM »
BRY in Buriram (honda motorbikes) run a learners course for cars.

No idea of the costs.

I believe (but stand to be corrected) that they do the actual testing as well. So no visit to the DLT.

Yes, indeed they do. They have a large piece of land behind the show room next to the private hospital. They will take you through the whole process, including test.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:00:56 PM »
The cost is 5,000 baht. After completion the individual takes the certification to the DLT with a doctor certificate and pay the DLT 600 baht for the 2 year temporary license. Whit the certificate from this driving school there is no further testing at the DLT. BTW there is no learner permit in Thailand for the learning of driving. After the issuance of the 2 year temporary licenses the DLT says you can now go out on the highways and kill. Thats what the the 2 year temporary DL is for. boxingguy

Offline Jeroen1

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
Car or motorbike? For car there are driving schools that teach on the open roads..motorbike i don't know

Offline Smithy

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:11 PM »
A local Farangs Wife paid for lessons and a licence in Surin ........She proudly showed me Her Licence but she still can't Drive  ::)

Offline mahdam

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:45:46 AM »
A local Farangs Wife paid for lessons and a licence in Surin ........She proudly showed me Her Licence but she still can't Drive  ::)

Yes, my Nephew paid for lessons with BRY and  passed his test with them. He was then given a two year licence. He has little, or no more idea of how to drive today than the day he went there. He can no more drive than I can perform brain surgery!

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:28:05 AM »
I sent my lass to a driving school in Korat around 7 years ago...........Insisted she learnt manual,she has turned out to be an excellent driver although a little too cautious at times

Offline lindsaywarden6

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:54 AM »
My wife recently got her car and motorcycle licences through BRY Honda - 4500 for the car then extra 500 for the bike. Process was as described above with short visit to Transport Department with medical certificate to get each licence. She believes you can do only the bike learning part and get only that licence for 500 baht but I would check with BRY first.  It seems a fairly thorough teaching and testing arrangement but involves limited on road action so there is a big need for driving experience with an experienced driver after getting the licence (on quiet roads or flat open land).

Offline PBarnfeather

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:04:20 AM »
I was a driving instructor in USA, both civilian and military, and I came to Thailand more than ten years ago. When I I went to get my Thai driving licence a young Thai (maybe 30 years old) took me for a driving test. It was easy - All I had to do was switch everything right to left.
When we got back I thought they were going to give me some kind of award along with my licence while my wife just sat back with a big Thai grin on her face.

Offline Smithy

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »
I was a driving instructor in USA, both civilian and military, and I came to Thailand more than ten years ago. When I I went to get my Thai driving licence a young Thai (maybe 30 years old) took me for a driving test. It was easy - All I had to do was switch everything right to left.
When we got back I thought they were going to give me some kind of award along with my licence while my wife just sat back with a big Thai grin on her face.

When I took my Thai Driving test ( as I only had my old  British paper Licence  with me at the time ) the test was driving around cones in a car park,never did any Thai sit in the car with me .......where did you take your Thai Test ??

When taking the practical driving test, the driving test takes place within the DLT's grounds on a mock road system and not on the roads. It normally takes no longer than half an hour

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »

When I took my Thai Driving test ( as I only had my old  British paper Licence  with me at the time ) the test was driving around cones in a car park,never did any Thai sit in the car with me .......where did you take your Thai Test ??

When taking the practical driving test, the driving test takes place within the DLT's grounds on a mock road system and not on the roads. It normally takes no longer than half an hour

Just goes to show how rules change both by office and in time. When I got my first licence I only had my paper UK licence.

No driving test needed. Only the brake and eyesite test done in the office.

That was probably 12 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:46:16 AM by Starman »

Offline Smithy

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 08:49:58 AM »

Just goes to show how rules change both by office and in time. When I got my first licence I only had my paper UK licence.

No driving test needed. Only the brake and eyesite test done in the office.

That was probably 12 years ago.

This was 15 years ago in Koh Samui , as we all know every office can be different on what paper work they require.I just did as I was asked !!

Todays rules... https://smartexpat.com/thailand/how-to-guides/transport/driving/thai-driving-test

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
Buriram office : Can get driving licence with tourist visa and even exempt stamp.

Residence letter can come from police station.

All offices : no photos required.

Korat office :  (going by an example last week) no medical certificate required.

Office are only a phone call away. Always best to check with them first.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick