{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Dual citizenship, how to travel into LOS, passport wise  (Read 6659 times)

Offline lindegaard

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Dual citizenship, how to travel into LOS, passport wise
« on: May 03, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »
Hello everyone

Danish citizen with 1 child (now 21of age), who last year, after some struggle with authorities (took almost 2 years, due to wrong information from the embassy in Denmark, a not so cooperative Amphu in rural Thailand and so on) finally got her Thai citizenship, ID card and passport, and written in to the tambien baan.

Question is this:

How does one travel in to LOS with the Thai passport, so that she don't need a visa, and can stay longer than the 30 day's given?

We have been told by the Embassy here in Denmark this guideline:

use the Thai passport from beginning to end, then when asked for VISA at airline checkin, show them the Danish passport.
upon arrival in DK you get stamp in Thai passport for entering, again just show them that you are elligable to enter by showing presenting the Danish passport.

However, one has been misslead or otherwise wrongly told before, so I was wandering if anyone here has any experience from the UK, (since none really at the Danish community at another forum, has a up to date experience),of a recent date, as to how it is best worked about.

Also, she had the passport issued in LOS, last summer, but since she had entered on the Danish passport, she did'nt think about anything else than she had to leave on that passport. She should offcourse have had a stamp in the Thai passport also.

Best regards

BuddhaNoi

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: Dual citizenship, how to travel into LOS, passport wise
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:14:49 PM »
She should exit and enter Denmark on her Danish passport. Enter and exit Thailand on her Thai passport.

When checking in with the airlines, if asked about visa, show both passports.

Offline lindegaard

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
Hello Starman,

Thanks for that quick reply.

This was also my best guess of a way to do it.
But when the embassy says differently, one can only become confused.
Is this a certified way of doing it? did you find that information somewhere, so that one can refer to a specific "?".

The funny thing is that even the guideline from the police at CPH airport is different depending on the person you talk to.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
That is what my daughter did when we visited England 17 months ago.

Offline lindegaard

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
@Starman

Ok. our is vice versa, going from DK to TH, but should in reality be the same.

Do you have a reference or anything else, or did you ust try your way around?

Offline dundeemk6

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »
I did the same with my daughter when visiting my parents in Belgium : at the check-in at the airport show both, exit Thailand with Thai passpoort and enter Belgium of any other land in the world with Belgian passport. Do not ask bureaucrats in embassies  ... they will always confuse you ...

Offline fishy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 08:09:21 PM »
I agree 100% with Starman and dundeemk... Leave the country you are in with the passport you carry for that country. Just to add to confusion though as I have a friend taking his 50/50 Thai/Ozy child out of Thailand for the first time. He has all the paperwork as paternal father including dual passports Thai/Oz etc. Separated although still speaks with the ex and his daughter lives with him most of the time. When exiting Thailand can immigration give you a hard time travelling alone with your child without some sort of written consent from her mother or a telephone call to her to agree with letting you through Immigration? I'm just considering the original OP's question when he leaves Thailand later. Does Immigration put a stamp of arrival into the Kingdom into a Thai Passport (I don't know)? I'm wondering what issues he may have when exiting with a child and requiring the mothers consent if any. I presume the mother is not travelling with them. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »
When I travelled with my daughter I had a letter signed by my wife that consented to us travelling together.

I was never asked for it. No harm in getting one anyway.

Offline lindegaard

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 11:38:19 PM »
I spoke with the ministry of foreign affairs here in Denmark earlier today to be completely sure of the guideline.

I asked them the question; How do one travel to TH with dual citizenship (when holding both thai and danish passport)

He answered without hesitation that she should travel with her Thai passport throughout the trip, and hereby not do it the way we have discussed about being the most logical way here in the thread. 

When you check in at the counter in Thailand (heading back home), then you show them both passports, the danish passport being your "visa" or a prove that you allowed to enter the country without one.

I think this is a matter of "you do what works for you", but this is the way I believe it is supposed to be done since that is way that the ministry of foreign affiars, the thai embassy and the airport police say you should do it.

Offline lindegaard

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 11:47:12 PM »
I agree 100% with Starman and dundeemk... Leave the country you are in with the passport you carry for that country. Just to add to confusion though as I have a friend taking his 50/50 Thai/Ozy child out of Thailand for the first time. He has all the paperwork as paternal father including dual passports Thai/Oz etc. Separated although still speaks with the ex and his daughter lives with him most of the time. When exiting Thailand can immigration give you a hard time travelling alone with your child without some sort of written consent from her mother or a telephone call to her to agree with letting you through Immigration? I'm just considering the original OP's question when he leaves Thailand later. Does Immigration put a stamp of arrival into the Kingdom into a Thai Passport (I don't know)? I'm wondering what issues he may have when exiting with a child and requiring the mothers consent if any. I presume the mother is not travelling with them.

Immigration in Thailand as far as I know do stamp arrival into a Thai passport when you arrive in Thailand, it states the date of arrival. and the same when you leave the country.

For the last part of your question, whether or not there will be any issues with the mother giving consent;

My daughter is travelling alone (she is 21), but has just last year obtained her dual citizenship.
Her mother (my ex wife) lives here in Denmark, and I have travelled before with my daughter to thailand, where we had no issues going in or leaving the country without having consent form her mother.

But that was when she was aprox. 11 years old and she only had her danish passport, so I wouldn't know if that would make a difference.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 12:23:45 AM »
I spoke with the ministry of foreign affairs here in Denmark earlier today to be completely sure of the guideline.

I asked them the question; How do one travel to TH with dual citizenship (when holding both thai and danish passport)

He answered without hesitation that she should travel with her Thai passport throughout the trip, and hereby not do it the way we have discussed about being the most logical way here in the thread. 

When you check in at the counter in Thailand (heading back home), then you show them both passports, the danish passport being your "visa" or a prove that you allowed to enter the country without one.

I think this is a matter of "you do what works for you", but this is the way I believe it is supposed to be done since that is way that the ministry of foreign affiars, the thai embassy and the airport police say you should do it.

How can your daughter complete her travels on  Thai Passport if she has no visa for Denmark?

The general rule is that you enter and leave a country on the same Passport - obviously, your daughter can only enter Denmark on her Danish passports, therefore she should leave on it.

Accepting that immigration are a different kettle of fish to the airlines, I doubt that an airline would board her in Bangkok on Thai Passport that has no visa in it.

Starman and Croc?s advice works...... your MOFA?s doesn?t.

If you want a 5th opinion I suggest you post the question on Thai Visa.com and see what Ubon Joe says.....he is rarely wrong.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:26:57 AM by CO-CO »

Offline lindegaard

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 02:29:12 AM »
@CO-CO

she completes it in DK,  as the passport police said, by simply presenting both passports upon arrival, then you get an entry stamp in the Thai passport.

You say that Starman's way works.. so why question how she completes her travel on Thai passport if no visa?
Starman gives the answer:  When checking in with the airlines, if asked about visa, show both passports

But I see what you mean when you point to the "general", point taken, and this is exactly  what I'm after with my thread, if there is a general rule, then why is'nt it stated more clearly.
I have been looking and searching here and there, and can't seem to find it written.. therefor I was curious to hear if others had looked into it like me, probably not, or just went on to travel and find out the hard way if questioned by border police.

It could be fun to hear Ubon Joe's opinion, maybe he can even point me to a written document with guidelines for this.
I am member on Thai visa too, and was almost going to post in there at the same time earlier.

To everyone, thanx for your sharing in this thread and have a nice summer

Offline steini

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 03:46:01 AM »
My wife have  have  2 passport Icelandic and Thai. She show the airline and passport control in Copenhagen the Icelandic passport but arrive and exit LOS with Thai passport. When go back show airline Icelandic passport or both if them want to.
No problem.

Offline lindegaard

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 04:02:48 AM »
Tak Steini

How did you come about that then? did you read it somewhere ? thats the way I first thought to do it.
have this question then: does she get her Thai passport stamped in CPH? Because Im told that the Thai officials can be pretty keen on seing this upon arrival ?

Offline steini

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 04:17:06 AM »
No stamp in CPH. Only show Icelandic passport. Go out of DK as Icelandic and arrive LOS as Thai. Think she talk to other Thai people with Dual citizenship.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick