{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Staffing Levels  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Staffing Levels
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »
When visiting stores such as Big C, Home Pro etc....I'm always surprised at the amount of staff employed.
Today I went first to a Home Pro and couldn't help but notice the volume of staff which probably exceeded customers 3:1. Then went to Big C. With the staff level still on my mind (just out of interest) I counted the staff down the first aisle as you enter (TV, electric aisle). 21 staff doing nothing just in that area.
I'm just curious. Is there some sort of legislation regarding the amount of staff a company has to employ to hold there trading lisence?? I know their paid peanuts but even so, in many cases they could employ half the amount and still offer a decent level of service.
No big deal I know but just curious.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:17:48 PM by Freddy »

Offline Pichai

• Reliable reporter on the right way
Re: Staffing Levels
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:49:23 PM »
If a company such as LG or Bekko want to sell appliances in Big C or HomePro part of the agreement is how many "Product Consultants" will be staffed at no cost to the retailer. In my family owned store Bosch Tools | DeWALT Tools | Metabo Tools | Hitachi Tools | Zinsano Pressure Washers | American Standard Sanitary Ware and all manner of Air Compressor distributors | House Paint | Welding machines | Door manufacturers, lighting fixture importers and electrical  products provide trained staff at no cost to the retailer. That company paid staff is expected to keep the display clean, keep products ordered, assist in any warranty issues and be of genuine service to possible buyers of ANY brand in Ruangsangthai. Often the Hitachi tools "PC" will assist a customer to buy a Makita Tool. The Zinsano paid models this week in Buriram claim they can assist in lubricating tools for customers. Students are also employed at large retailers in Buriram to help the student gain work experience.  The English major coeds are placed in the Foreign sales department of Ruangsangthai. Thank you Mr. Pichai.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:51:39 PM by Pichai »

Tassie

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 06:17:49 AM »
In Australia we would call such a procedure, a lurk in favour of the retailer.  (If you don't give us sales staff for your product we won't sell it.) This concept in the West would be unthinkable and unacceptable by the Unions and the general public.  No wonder Thai companies can get away with not hiring staff when the manufacturers do it for them.  What a scam.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:21:16 AM by Tassie »

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 06:34:28 AM »
Thanks. That explanation makes sense and also goes some way to explaining why tools and electrical products are expensive here. Regardless of whether it is the manufacturer , wholesaler or retailer bearing the cost, all those staff have to be paid for be it in wages and/or commission. Even if they are only getting 250 baht a day, if 4 are doing what 1 could do that's driving up the cost and reducing sales. Crazy approach to business.

Offline Pichai

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
Tassie: I would not call it a scam. If a brand does not have a representative to EXPLAIN the features and function of a product in Thai language, the product might be passed over.  Buriram Expats might have previous experience owning a compound miter saw. Local residents might not have prior ownership experience of a drill press, pressure washer, air compressor, food processor, or air conditioner. With a focused trained representative earning 9000 baht a month plus possible bonus if they meet sales goals the customer benefits from truthful information on the value or limitations of a product. This is not the same as a taxi driver getting a secret commission from a gentlemen's club in Las Vegas or Bangkok. The challenge in Buriram at my family owned builders merchants store is to monitor if the "PC" paid by the respective manufacturer is serving the needs of the customer. I am not certain of the technical skill set of the two women hired by Zinsano high pressure washers who are at Ruangsangthai in Buriram today doing a hands on demonstration.  The prices of name brand tools in my family owned store are lower than on line retailers such as Lazada.  I will gladly match or beat Lazada prices on identical items they have in stock if you come to my tool store in Buriram.  See Mr. Bob in the foreign sales department for price matching.

Tassie

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
In Australia and other western countries, only at the times of something special or a new release product, do manufacturer's representatives venture onto the shop floor.  Manufacturer's do not embed their staff in retail businesses, never.  Floor staff paid by the store itself are continually kept up to date with new and old products as is evidenced by the continuous and extensive training they receive and that not only includes training at the shop but also away at the manufacturer's and learning about their products.
Imagine if you would, an embedded manufacturer's  representative on a floor shop, lets say at Makro for every manufacturer's brand product they sold.  There would be more embedded staff than customers. Impossible to control and monitor. When a retailer has free embedded labour, taking the place of poor training and product knowledge they cannot help to make a profit.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:44:00 AM by Tassie »

Offline Pichai

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »
Tassie: You have posted valid points on store employee training. Ruangsangthai pulls staff from the floor in the afternoon several times each week to be trained by trainers in the classroom or VIP room of my family owned hardware business. If you visit my store and see the classroom in use with power point chances are it is a trainer sent to Buriram to better educate the staff in my store. Bunnings does offer a higher wage than is typically paid for services in Buriram.  I have visited Home Depot in New Jersey on my first trip to the United States courtesy of Franklin Electric Pumps. If I am offered a trip to Perth, Australia from TruYard (which sells for double the price  in Australia what I sell the exact same model wood chipper in Thailand) I will spend hours at Bunnings. Please come to my desk at Ruangsangthai in person to request any product or comment on any employee service.  InSee cement has sent bi-lingual teachers to my store as well as the importer of Makita Tools to Thailand. Thank you Tassie. Mr. Pichai.
Bunnings Warehouse in Australia Salaries
Job Title   Location   Bunnings Warehouse Salary
Bunnings Team Member - Hourly   Australia   $20.83/hr
Team Member   Australia   $41,483
Customer Service - Monthly   Australia   $3,201/mo
Cashier - Monthly   Australia   $3,201/mo

Offline Pichai

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:37:58 PM »
Today November 14th two technical trainers who teach store staff product knowledge of Weber Tile grout and Weber tile adhesive spent 90 minutes in the classroom helping to educate fifteen of the Ruangsangthai store staff. Several times each week you can see the teaching classes at my family owned hardware store in Buriram.  In November due to the rice harvest, a good percentage of the store staff take days off to help their family with the rice farming process.  Thank you for your support. Mr. Pichai.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick