{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: US Tourist Visa  (Read 10584 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
US Tourist Visa
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »
On our 5th try my wife got a 10 Year Tourist visa to the USA.  What she noted was there is a significant attitude change at the US Embassy.  She said they were friendly and helpful. 

It may be that this new extreme vetting means following the law and regulations.  So there may be hope for those that want their significant other to get a tourist visa. 

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: US Tourist Visa
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:11:38 PM »
On our 5th try my wife got a 10 Year Tourist visa to the USA.  What she noted was there is a significant attitude change at the US Embassy.  She said they were friendly and helpful. 

It may be that this new extreme vetting means following the law and regulations.  So there may be hope for those that want their significant other to get a tourist visa.

Great to hear this. We just returned at the end of July after a 3 months visit to Virginia. This was the wife finally trip as her 10 visa expired June 5. At some point she will apply for another 10 year visa and it will be done at the U S Consult in Chiang Mai where she received her original 10 year visa. I have always said that unless it was an emergency there is no way in hell I would use the US Embassy in Bangkok. Now take your family for a holiday and have a great time.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »
I have 2 trips bought so far.  Plan to see my dad next month so he can meet his grandchild. 

Disneyland is on the schedule.  Been busy trying to schedule all the activities. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:22 PM »
Trip to the USA went fair smooth.  Some changes:

-  You have to use a Kiosk to enter, there are no agent lines.  I used the US Passport line, all 3 of us were grouped at the kiosk.  However, the TW had then go to a separate line to talk to an immigration agent.  The daughter having a US Passport did not have that issue. 

-  The GOES Kiosk will not support non GOES family members.  However, we used the GOES customs line to exit, 5 people in line vrs 100. 

-  The TW was given the "TSA PRESCREEN" so we did not need to remove shoes, computers from bags, etc.  I inputed her US Military ID Card control # on her plane reservation, I was told by an MG that meets the prescreen criteria. 

-  The 10 year tourist visa allows her mulitiple entries for a max of 6 months at a time. 

-  Over my objections she brought a bag of Thai Peppers with her, customs after checking the bag allowed it  (1st time US customs checked anything I brought from Thailand). 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »
While in the USA I got 2 T Mobile sim cards @ $30 ea.  Had US phone #'s  and internet while in the US.  However, this plan is only good for 21 days:

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan

Offline mudcat

• Contributor with future
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »
We always bring back both store bought and home prepared Thai foodstuffs and declare them on our customs form.  Earns us a friendly inspection but avoids having a flag put next to our passport numbers  for non-disclosure and getting a hostile inspection.  Going to try raw honey next trip.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 12:50:34 AM »
Immigrations and Customs at DFW has made more changes, IMHO getting more rational.  Checked the 3 of us in at a kiosk and showed our immigration slips to the agent and he waved us thru, last time the TW had to see another agent where he grilled her on why she was in the USA.  Then another agent checked us and again passed us thru to baggage claim. 

Got the bags and the Customs agent then stamped my wife's Thai Passport allowing a 6 month stay. 

This make a lot more sense as she already had the embassy interview and was deemed allowed to travel to the US, no real reason to grill her again when she enters.  Looks the US immigration system my be getting some common sense.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 01:04:18 AM »
Instead of T-Mobile which does not support a 30 day trip I took a chance and used a place called Roam Mobility out of Canada:

https://roammobility.com/

Bought 2 sim cards for $15 CAD, which I believe is more for the shipping than the sim cards.  They arrived in Thailand within 2 weeks.  Then I registered the cards, got phone numbers and scheduled the day/time when I wanted to service to start.  Arrived Dallas, installed the sim card and in 5 minutes was making phone calls and had 4G internet.  Cost about $40 CAD ($31 USD) per month.

This was a lot more simple than setting up with T Mobile. 

A side benefit is that as long as you activate once a year, you keep the same phone #.  With T Mobile it is was a new phone # each time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:06:28 AM by urleft »

Offline Red 1

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
Mudcat

Are you referring to the Customs in the US or another country.

Thanks in advance.

Offline mudcat

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
Customs/Agriculture inspection - at SFO I think they are the same.  As we declare foodstuffs we always get inspected and have never had a problem; we speak to the agent and they say ok even for home-prepared foods (fish has been ok - haven't tried to bring any meat products in which I believe they are fussier about. 

See what happens this year when we enter on our Global Entry pre-clearance program - I assume it will flag us for Agriculture inspection as well as the questions are the same just answered on a touch screeen. 

Steve

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »
The TW brought a lot of dried fish, along with packaged foodstuffs.  Customs seemed to have no issues with processed foods but then drilled down on fresh fruits and veggies.  When I said I had none he cleared us without looking at what we had.   

Being a GOES member (wife and daughter are not) I had to use the regular Kiosk, but I fully expected to use the GOES Customs line.  Well the GOES line was about 40 with 1 Customs agent checking, the regular line was about 150 with 5 agents, so I chose the regular.  It moved quickly. 

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
You are all very lucky!
Try being a British seaman on his 3rd C1-D visa going in and out of the States for 20+ years and while watching people looking like Osama Bin Laden get waved through I get a secondary inspection!!

If I didn't have to go to the States for work I wouldn't go there at all.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 02:59:28 AM »
Doesn't apply as far as I know for Seamen. Although I admit urleft I didn't read it. I have to have a C1-D visa (seamans visa) to be allowed to join and leave ships in US. As soon as this visa is shown in any airport (even miles from the coast) a secondary inspection is almost always done. Apparently I am a flight risk!

I guess they haven't read my posts (or maybe they have LOL!!!!))

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 06:30:17 AM »

Adam,

While you are mostly correct that GOES is focused on Airports, the success of the program is expanding to Seaports.  I would expect that if you were accepted as a GOES trusted traveler your customs experiences would be expedited.

CBP Announces Grand Reopening of Nation's First Seaport Global Entry Enrollment Center

Release Date:
June 1, 2017

LONG BEACH, Calif.  U.S. Customs and Border Protection reopened the nation's first seaport Global Entry Enrollment Center at the Port of Long Beach following a planned expansion of the facility. In response to the overwhelming success of Global Entry in the Los Angeles area and to expedite the increasing number of applicants, CBP proactively expanded the capabilities, efficiency and facility size of the Long Beach Global Entry Enrollment Center.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-announces-grand-reopening-nations-first-seaport-global-entry

It was a hassle to get GOES approved, but well worth it IMHO.  And literally looks like a double hassle for UK citizens, but with over 20 trips to Thailand, I have never been subjected to a secondary search. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:36:13 AM by urleft »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 03, 2024, 07:53:28 PM

Re: House for sale Lamplaimat by Wayne from Aus
March 03, 2024, 05:27:57 AM