{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Considering flying from Don Muang ?? Read this  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: Considering flying from Don Muang ?? Read this
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 07:03:59 PM »
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1074916-another-bad-day-at-don-mueang-with-air-asia/

I saw that. To be honest I don't think the OP was prepared. Many of the answers are in the positive.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:18:47 PM »
True,

I like the remarks about Online Check-in and don't have checked luggage is the way to go, but IMHO that's possible if you only staying for a couple of days, but NOT if you like us going for 2 weeks at a time ! Buying all your stuff / clothes at the destination and then throw it away when leaving again (55555555555)

I am really considering 2 options here

1- Buying the Premium Flex option @Air Asia in future. (But is that a guarantee for faster check-in ? )
2- Start flying from BKK airport instead of DMK (for international destinations) but that is also a hassle getting from the Train to BKK Airport and back again when you have a domestic flight leaving from DMK :(

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 08:04:30 PM »
True,

I like the remarks about Online Check-in and don't have checked luggage is the way to go, but IMHO that's possible if you only staying for a couple of days, but NOT if you like us going for 2 weeks at a time ! Buying all your stuff / clothes at the destination and then throw it away when leaving again (55555555555)

I am really considering 2 options here

1- Buying the Premium Flex option @Air Asia in future. (But is that a guarantee for faster check-in ? )
2- Start flying from BKK airport instead of DMK (for international destinations) but that is also a hassle getting from the Train to BKK Airport and back again when you have a domestic flight leaving from DMK :(
I agree that comment was not so helpful as the OP did speak of checking in luggage. I do still think he was exaggerating a little though. I looked at departures for today.

There were 22 international departures for Air Asia from DM today between 6am and midday. Not quite sure how that would equate to 2 hours 50 minutes queue time.

If you have an international flight at Suvannaphumi and a domestice flight at DM there is a free shuttle bus that will take you both ways. The transfer takes about an hour.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:06:11 PM by Starman »

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 05:46:26 AM »
There were 22 international departures for Air Asia from DM today between 6am and midday. Not quite sure how that would equate to 2 hours 50 minutes queue time.

When we flew to Singapore last April, the queuing @DMK was also bad, fortunately there weren't 2 lines (1 for Baggage Drop and 1 for check-in) as they were still using the normal procedure. (check-in and baggage drop at a Counter with a Live person). That took us in total well over 1 hour (closer to 1,5 then to 2). So I can understand that with 2 lines that most people are confused what to do. How do you print your luggage tag, how do you put it onto the belt, where do you get your boarding pass etc etc etc also people start queuing in the wrong lines and have to start over.

It was the same with us when we flew back from Singapore (from Terminal 4) no check-in counter anymore, but everything SELF-Service, even Immigration (outgoing that is), but there a lot of staff was at hand to help us guide through the process.

So the 2:50 doesn't seem unreasonable to me, especially in peak season, and don't forget AirAsia is LCC (Low cost Carrier) and when they can save a buck (less staff) they most certainly do it.

I just checked Premium Flex from Air Asia, before you would get a meal and a hot seat for both trips (going and coming back) but NOW it's only down to one (coming back) only but the price has stayed the same. ;)

If you have an international flight at Suvannaphumi and a domestice flight at DM there is a free shuttle bus that will take you both ways. The transfer takes about an hour.

Good Tip, thanks, but that involves a lot more planning. Immigration Queues at BKK are also bad, and if you then also need a 1 hour (best case scenario I think) bus ride you can easily miss your connecting flight. Guess its saver to add an extra day in Bangkok to the itinerary :) 

Offline Esco

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:52:33 AM »
I flew from DMK to Buriram on the 27th of December on the 2 PM flight.

We were there around noon, sorted the check-in and baggage tagging which indeed you need to do yourself these days, dropped the luggage off and were having a beer at the gate before 1 PM.

No issue at all at the airport, just come prepared and know how the system works.

Cheers.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
Thx, yeah but checkin for an international flight is a different ball game. Also domestic you don?t have no Immigration to worry about.

The only thing what could speed up the whole process is AFAIK online check-in and printing your own boarding pass and then you only have to worry about dropping off your checked baggage.

Offline Esco

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »
Thx, yeah but checkin for an international flight is a different ball game. Also domestic you don?t have no Immigration to worry about.

The only thing what could speed up the whole process is AFAIK online check-in and printing your own boarding pass and then you only have to worry about dropping off your checked baggage.

Allow me to clarify; I did check-in online via the AirAsia app on my phone a couple days prior, and it was very simple. I was then given a barcode to use at one of those machines at the airport to (re)print our boarding passes and baggage tags. Granted, this process is probably not so easy for everyone to comprehend so queues can be formed etc. but for me it went relatively smooth. With the boarding pass and pre-tagged baggage we walked to the drop off counter where the AirAsia staff kindly took our luggage.

I agree that going through immigration adds time to this process but that certainly cant be blamed on AirAsia, and imo you should always check-in online if possible.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »
Update on our experience at Don Muang with AirAsia when flying to Siem Reap.

We flew from Buriram to Don Muang on the 7:35 flight with Nok Air. At the time of booking this flight Air Asia were still flying from Burirma at 9:30 and not their new time of 7:25.

Arrived at DonMuang at 8:30. Shuttle bus from plane to airport 5 minutes. We walked to the international terminal. We had no check in baggage and I had checked in online and printed boarding passes. We went straight to passport control. Got stamped out in about 15 minutes. We were at the departure gate for our 10:00 flight at 9:15.

One thing about flying with no add ons. Even if you book as a group, when checking in online, seats are allotted randomly. This means that you are likely not to be sitting together. You can change your seats for 99 baht per person per flight. On our return journey we did not checking online. At Siem Reap airport we were checked in with seats together.

We are flying with Air Asia again in April when we fly to Kerala, India. We will have one bag to check in but no add ons so I think we will just check in at the airport this time.

I also found out that we have been saying Siem Reap incorrectly. It is in actual fact Siem Ree-ap.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:20:26 PM by Starman »

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 04:32:02 AM »
Thx for the update.

You really got the Flying Bug ;)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
Siem Reap has been mentioned a couple of times on here so I thought I would add this.

There have been reports recently about unofficial websites offering Evisas for entry to Cambodia. I myself nearly used the wrong one until advised by @Coco.

Some of these websites look very similar to the official one. They are scams and have been know to charge $100 for a visa when in fact the correct amount is $36.

Here is the one and only website that one should use.

https://evisa.gov.kh/

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 03, 2024, 07:53:28 PM

Re: House for sale Lamplaimat by Wayne from Aus
March 03, 2024, 05:27:57 AM