{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Get new green book from photocopy?  (Read 5963 times)

Offline notrub

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Get new green book from photocopy?
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »

Call me stupid but I bought a motorbike from a garage with the promise of a green book to be sent the following week.  Friendly and helpful people.  I have a bill of sale and a photocopy of the green book and a business card with the name of the garage on it.  The serial number matches too.  The garage is a small junky looking place with 10 or 20 bikes for sale in front and they advertise on Kaidee.  No green book arrived by post (surprised?) and phone calls just get the answer that some other entity has been contacted and maybe they will send the book next week.  Any ideas about how to move ahead with getting this garage to honour their promise or how I can get a green book on my own?  We are not talking big money (14,500 + 3,000 repairs) but it is a nice little bike and I would like to keep it.  Also don't have 17,500 THB to toss away without a worry.   I cannot take it on the road so it just sits in front of the house.  Can I get it insured with only a photocopy of the green book?  They are in Korat about 100 km from my house so going there to confront them is not an option that I would like to do. Anyway, they are big and I am small. Thanks for any ideas.

Offline secosteve

Re: Get new green book from photocopy?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »
I know it is shutting the gate after the horse has bolted but never buy a vehicle without the green book. It is possible the seller has taken a loan out against the bike and the lender has the book. You will be ok as long as he keeps up the payments but, if the not, the China man will be coming.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
Go and take the copy of the green book to LTO (Land Transportation office) and ask them, they can tell you if the Bike is in who's possession at the moment and maybe (don't know for sure) if it's (as Secostve said) under Finance.

Take a Thai Speaker with you

LTO Buriram is here: https://goo.gl/maps/aXcm8q1VE2w
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:27:31 PM by iammike »

Offline secosteve

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »
 iammike, the problem is these deals are that they usually between the owner and a not scrupulous money lender or small finance house. They usually just take the green book and keep it until the loan is paid, the transport office will just confirm the name in the green book not about any finance.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
^ Oke I didn't know for sure as I never had anything under finance here.

As you said No Green / Blue / Chanote no Sale of Bike / Car / Land ;)

But for sure LTO can give him the answer if he can Insure the bike ?

Can I get it insured with only a photocopy of the green book? 
<snip>

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:59:56 PM by iammike »

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:18:00 AM »
If you arrange the insurance online, then most likely a copy will suffice

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:28:59 AM »

Nick,

Question. What about taxation of the bike ? To be completely legal the bike also has to be taxed every year. Can he do that with a copy ?

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 06:31:09 AM »

Nick,

Question. What about taxation of the bike ? To be completely legal the bike also has to be taxed every year. Can he do that with a copy ?

That is unlikely, but it could well still be taxed.  He would need to go to the Land Transport Office armed with the compulsory insurance certificate and copy of green book. They may be able to assist.

Offline notrub

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 08:44:20 AM »
So, if I can insure the bike and have a photo copy of the green book might that work for a police stop?  Also, if I go to my local town police can they look up to see if it is stolen?  The sellers claim that the person named in the green book used an out of date ID card for something and only has to renew this card to get the green book to send on.  Sounds like a load of malarkey to me.  If I can figure out who the person is that is named in the green book I could contact them directly to see if there is a loan outstanding or ?. Nice little bike and anyway I cannot really afford to just forget all this if it is possible to find a solution.   Thanks for your interest and comments.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »
So, if I can insure the bike and have a photo copy of the green book might that work for a police stop?  Also, if I go to my local town police can they look up to see if it is stolen?  The sellers claim that the person named in the green book used an out of date ID card for something and only has to renew this card to get the green book to send on.  Sounds like a load of malarkey to me.  If I can figure out who the person is that is named in the green book I could contact them directly to see if there is a loan outstanding or ?. Nice little bike and anyway I cannot really afford to just forget all this if it is possible to find a solution.   Thanks for your interest and comments.

Having insurance and a copy of the green book will be fine for a Police stop. If you had finance on the bike, you would not have the green book -the finance house keep it until all is paid.

Check with the police to see if it is stolen

The original buyers name/address should be in the green book (copy) so you can perhaps make contact.If a finance company were involved, their name would also appear in the green book,

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
As mentioned by Secosteve, there could be an unofficial loan on the bike. Loan sharks take green books as guarentees. If that is the case and the loaner defaults then bye bye bike.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick