{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Experiments in Potatoes  (Read 15243 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Experiments in Potatoes
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »
 An engineer  I met recommend I read the book the Martian: 

https://www.amazon.com/Martian-Novel-Andy-Weir-ebook/dp/B00EMXBDMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503038090&sr=8-1&keywords=the+martian

So I purchased the book and could not put it down, read it thru in one night. And then bought the DVD when the movie came out.  The part about growing potatoes seemed interesting and 2 weeks ago I took out one to cook and it was spouting.  So in tribute to the movie I cut off the sprout end and planted it.

Now my Mom had a black thumb, she could not grow anything, and I thought I inherited that from her as I once failed when I tried to grow mold.  But as with my grapefruit tree, this appears to be growing.  I was inspired by this vid (go ahead and click, less than 2 minutes long):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuYR-96gQc

I initially used a small container, but now have transplanted to the ?bucket? today.  Here are some pics.  Found a 6 month old duck egg in the fridge, decided to put it to good use.  I will provide updates from time to time on the progress. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: Experiments in Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
The plant itself will grow as tall as your house if you let it.

There will likely be less new potatoes than what you planted, unless you are using an artificial eco system.

Offline Hermit

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »
There will likely be less new potatoes than what you planted, unless you are using an artificial eco system.

I'd like to hear more about that.  My plan was to throw a bag of spuds out the back and be in potatoes for life.  :P I've told my wife to save me half a rai to grow 'em in. 

That book 'The Martian'.  I picked it up, knowing nothing about it.  Also could not put it down.   Not a bad movie either.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
Potatoes need at least 75 days of temperatures not exceeding 80f for a good crop.

The number of tubers will decrease as the temperatures increase.

Tassie

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »
Hermit, in my younger years I was a commercial potato grower, harvesting 20 to 60 tonnes of potatoes daily during the growing season.   A rule of thumb is that potatoes do not grow well in tropical climates.  It depends on altitude and climate.  For instance they grow in Loi Province, Wang Nam Khiao, Chaing Mai and Chiang Rai.  All these areas that grow potatoes are situated at cooler elevations. I believe that the only chance that you might be successful is if you plant your potatoes, early to mid-October assuming you are in Buriram, this way you will be growing your potatoes into an approaching winter climate.  You will find plenty of top growth during warmer weather but little tuber set.
The last photo you presented tells me you need nitrogen added to your pot.
Most commercial chemical feeds specific for potatoes are balanced as 2:2:3, that is equal amounts of nitrogen and phosphorus with half as much again of potash.  The nitrogen and phosphorus will feed the foliage and root system with the potash feeding the tubers themselves.
Use local organic fertilizer as the potatoes seem to taste better than using commercial fertilizers.  If you shade net (50%) over your potatoes for about the first month they are up and then give them full sun the ground temperature will have dropped and you won?t cook any potatoes prematurely underground.  I wish you all the very best with your potato project.
Regards

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »
Or do as in the Martian movie and add your own fertilizer!!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »
Tassie, thank you very much for your shade recommendation.  I was concerned about how much direct sunlight to allow, using that planter approach means it easy to move.  I kind of assumed that starting out a lot of sunlight would be beneficial to the sprout. I was also concerned on the effects of the tropics, but maybe I will luck out.  I've learned more from my failures than my successes.

As far as the nitrates I plan to use a modified aquaphonics method as using fish waste from my filter and water as the primary fertilizer, which seems to have done wonders for my grapefruit tree.  I have about a 3000 liter fountain with about 30 large koi to help provide fetilizer.  The TW and TD (Thai Daughter) love to overfeed the fish.

As I bought 2 large planters will get another potato and plant it whole. This first experiment I just used a portion of the potato (what the Martian did).  But after watching several vids it occurred to me that the whole potato is a good energy source while the root system develops.

And that is why I named the thread "Experiments" instead of "growing".

Tassie

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »
Urleft, if you cut your potatoes to plant keep at least 2 eyes on the cut piece.  The piece should be a bit larger than a large ice cube and this size will have enough starch to get your potato plant up and running.  Tip, in tropical and sub-tropical regions, if you cut your potatoes do not plant them right away let them dry in 100% shade until they form a white outer crust on the cut side.  This should take about 3 days.  This outer white crust protects the cut potato from falling victim to soil borne diseases and from rot.
I always cut my potatoes as a commercial grower, at the size I mentioned earlier, which is quite sufficient to get a fully developed healthy high yielding plant. 
Regards

Tassie

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »
Urleft, I meant to say something about the sunlight re: your: "I kind of assumed that starting out a lot of sunlight would be beneficial to the sprout" The problem is all about the soil temperature.  The shade cloth reduces the suns impact on the temperature of the soil  In normal climes potatoes are grown in full sunlight from start to finish but in Buriram we do not have the ideal clime to grow potatoes so we must improvise and hope for the best.
Regards

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
Urleft, if you cut your potatoes to plant keep at least 2 eyes on the cut piece.  The piece should be a bit larger than a large ice cube and this size will have enough starch to get your potato plant up and running.  Tip, in tropical and sub-tropical regions, if you cut your potatoes do not plant them right away let them dry in 100% shade until they form a white outer crust on the cut side.  This should take about 3 days.  This outer white crust protects the cut potato from falling victim to soil borne diseases and from rot.
I always cut my potatoes as a commercial grower, at the size I mentioned earlier, which is quite sufficient to get a fully developed healthy high yielding plant. 
Regards

That's a point against me, I planted immediately.   Oh  well, live and learn.  But will let it continue to grow (hopefully) and see what happens. 

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:46:05 PM »
If there was a "like" button on this form then Tassies posts would have got one.

Offline Phantom

• Contributor with future
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 07:32:52 AM »
Hey guys, this is what BE should be all about. A knowledgable person like Tassie giving info on how it should be done. Thanks Urleft for starting the thread. I, too am trying to grow these as well. Well done Tassie.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 07:48:51 AM »
Tassie,

Had a thought last night, no it did not hurt.  I am thinking about using Redneck inguenuity (and duck tape) to build a insulating box around the planter and soil while letting sun hit the plant, this should allow for extended direct sunlight hours.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »
It looks to me like that plant grew several cm since I transplanted, it must also have ears and heard the Potato Whisperer (Tassie) was on the job.

Tassie

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 09:13:51 AM »
urleft, the plant looks healthy.  You can keep adding soil, a bit at a time until you reach the top of the container.  Just cover the stem and the bottom leaves with soil or rice straw. By doing this, you will increase the possibility of the yield. The larger the pot the greater the yield. 
Regards

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM