{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Anyone with TOT Fiber and using their own Router  (Read 12493 times)

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
Anyone with TOT Fiber and using their own Router
« on: July 26, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
Too my utter surprise TOT has been busy installing Fiber Cables all around our village and the Techies who installed the Cable said that in approx one month I can get a subscription to it. Very happy as I then finally can ditch this unreliable TOT WiNet ! (Will keep them running together for a couple of months though ;))

Now my question for members who have TOT Fiber.

Do you use your own router ? And was it easy to convince TOT to use yours ?

The reason why I ask this is because TOT has been pushing out their own router which (what I have seen on the Net) has terrible Wireless Reception !

Thanks for any insights

Edit: If TOT doesn't allow your own router I just have to stick to start using Wireless Range extenders which I hate to do.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:52:23 PM by iammike »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: Anyone with TOT Fiber and using their own Router
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
I was offered TOT cable but turned it down due to complaints I had heard.

Waited and 3BB came along. Very rarely do we have a problem.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
Thx !

I sincerely doubt that 3BB will come to our village in the near future, the reason being:

- We are located in between villages with the next villages around 2kms away from us, with NO houses (so NO potential subscribers) on that road.
- We already talked to 3BB (a couple of months ago) and they would ONLY install Cable (No idea if Fiber or ADSL/VDSL) if we were willing to pay 200.000 THB or find (at least) 5-6 families who would subscribe to them for a year. Last count there were only 2 families wanting to have internet and NO I'm not paying 200k ;)

Disadvantage of living in the sticks :)

So TOT it is and IF 3BB decides to get Cable in, I can always subscribe to them as well and ditch TOT ;)

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 03:50:23 PM »
Too late to edit.

Anything is better then TOT WiNet (I hope) as sometimes it's down for days on end and I have to resort using 3G.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
3BB will not be far behind. We had nothing up to about 18 months ago. As of last week we can now choose from 3BB, TOT and True.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »
@Starman.

Regarding my question about using your own router, does 3BB let you use your own ?

And is your router in Bridge Mode or .. ?
And finally what speed do you have and most importantly get ?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
Not an expert on routers. The one we use is 3bb own. Good enough so didn't bother changing. We pay for 30mb. We get in the region of 29.

Offline olavhome

• Contributor with future
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »
Have problem here in Tungwang with cable internet from TOT. Buffering when watch You-Tube/Nettflix on my Samsung smart-tv.
Wife has spoken to TOT in Satuek and they advice us to turn off modem at night time.
Cant understand how that can improve internet speed and reliability ??
Can understand if due to fear from thunderstorms.
And reduse electrisity bill with thb 10 monthly :-) :-)
But improving internet speed ???????? Can anybody help me stupid falang understand ??:-)

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
I'm no expert but this may help. I had a similar problem with Netflix where it would load titles to a certain % and not complete. I assumed internet speed but it was the TV. Worth trying this.
Log out of Netflix.
Switch off TV and un plug from wall. Leave for a few minutes.
Manually switch TV on and off 5/6 times. ( The manual control panel will be hidden somewhere on your set). This is without the TV being plugged in.
Plug in TV and switch on.
Log back n to Netflix.

Apparently this diffuses the TV and it certainly solved my Netflix problem. I have only 10-12mb with CAT and Netflix/You Tube all streaming works fine.

Also your router can periodically get confused. Try unplugging and then restarting rather than just a re-set. Shouldn't have to do it nightly though. Happens with mine every few months and a full restart clears it.

Below is the link to the Netflix Help Page which is very good.

https://help.netflix.com/en

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
@olavhome

Question. How does your Smart TV Connect to the Internet ? Via Wireless or via a cable which is directly connected to your Router? And did you ever try to use another Router and see if the problem goes away ?

On the question why TOT advises you to disconnect at Night. No idea, maybe they think it helps ;)

Offline fishy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »
I have been waiting 6 months for ToT to run a fiber cable. Have been quoted about 25000bht just for the cable. The bahn is 2.3km from the nearest connection point out in the sticks. I have picked ToT from word of mouth and reading what they claim to supply as in download and upload speed. There are many web sites that can check how quick your Internet supplier is working.. That is how fast the data is flowing in and out of your computer. I use TestMy.net to see what speed I am getting from the server.. Its free and will know who your server is and compare the speed results to what the server (TOT, AIS, 3BB etc) is claiming they reckon you should be getting. Not sure how it works but it must come from your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Be prepared to  see your speed way under what the provider claims you should be getting!!! Not sure if this link will post but here it is  https://testmy.net/ Do a combined upload and download test. It takes 5555 depending on your server speed 10 seconds to maybe 5 minutes. The results are good reading

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
@fishy

Please don?t forget that the speed Tot, 3bb and the rest give you is only the speed that is the max you can get WITHIN Thailand only.

Offline fishy

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
iammike,

I am in Thailand Burriram area so I do not understand your post highlighting WITHIN Thailand? The link I provided will know which server you are using even if you are in another country. I have done the same speed test in Australia with my laptop using wireless connection similar to what I have to use here to get an Internet connection. Thailand speeds are crap compared to Aus. I'm still waiting on the Y2K bug to arrive on my computer over here 555.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »
What I mean is, if TOT (or any other Thai Internet Provider) gives you for example an Internet Package of 10Mb Download and 1Mb Upload, that speed is only ?guaranteed? within Thailand, so for using Thai websites or CDN?s (like youtube etc) which have servers within Thailand only.

As soon as (from within Thailand) you test or use a server abroad (Japan, SIN, Us of A etc) that speed is not guaranteed by your Thai Provider anymore, or if the speed matches you have (maybe) botched results. For example 10ms ping times to the UK ;)

Offline fishy

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »
Fanx iammike... I Understand what you are saying now. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick