{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Retirement Extension for Dummies 2017 – Buriram Immigration  (Read 53976 times)

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Retirement Extension for Dummies 2017 – Buriram Immigration
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
Almost a nightmare today- I told the missus this morning that it had the potential to be a 'disaster day'.

Why?

Well, I have always done my Retirement extensions against an embassy income letter. However, this year I was in a position where I could use the bank letter method. This was because I had opened a Sterling FCD with Bangkok Bank and had shifted Pounds from the UK to that new account.I knew that FCD monies could be used for extension purposes. I took the precaution of checking with BKB, Buriram that a bank letter could be issued on demand.

An hour and a half in Bangkok Bank (excluding the 25 minutes we went out for a kwitiow).

I do like the staff in BKB they are generally friendly, smile a lot, look good and are basically helpful and Farang-friendly. What I don't like (from any service provider) is a stock answer of mai dai (or mai roo) when their own ignorance or lack of knowledge/experience does not extend to giving the RIGHT answer. The Thai culture/habit of giving the best answer they think is right does not help in these situations.

What I didn't know was that I was the FIRST person to request a bank letter for immigration , based on a FCD, at Buriram branch  smilenod

Eventually, and after a 15 min power cut, the said letter was produced. Perfect. 100 Baht willingly handed over for the service. I had already updated my savings account book and noted that the FCD passbook was too wide to fit in the update machine. So I asked the manager? if she could update the passbook for me After much consultation it was deemed that it wasn't possible to update in the branch and only Bangkok could update it. She also produced an 'update letter' regarding the account.  No problem, I thought, I also have 4 months' online bank statements evidencing that the balance had not fallen below 800,000 Baht equivalent.

Off I went to Immigration - a happy man with my bank letter in my hand.

Things improved even further when I arrived - only one person in front of me so I was immediately called up by the round-faced subordinate with the basin hair cut. He went through my forms, handed out the 'overstay letter' for signature and another letter that just looked like a request for an extension on which I wrote 'Retirement'. He thumbed through the bank paperwork and referred to the slightly younger guy in the middle (with a bit of chin growth). At this point I was told to sit down until said younger officer was free.

Five minutes later he was and I bounded over with my (already scrutinised) paperwork.

The bank paperwork was an issue. He said we have to check very carefully about the funds being in the bank - and for 3 months. I said that I fully appreciated that but surely the evidence was there with:-

The bank letter.
The bank 'update' letter.
My online statements for 4 months

"NO!"     -  the issue was that the passbook was not updated. I did invite him to speak to Phuket, Chonburi or Khon Kaen immigration offices where I knew that FCDs had been used successfully. ........ NO..... the passbook must be updated, even if it does have to go to Bangkok.

"OK", I said, but a couple of questions:-

One...... why do you even go to the bother of getting applicants to obtain a bank letter if you are only interested in the passbook as a source of reference?  (he didn't answer that one!  2guys )

Two...... if I get the passbook updated, via Bangkok, the date is not going to match the bank letter (which your rules state must be dated the same day as the extension application is submitted) ............. so are you saying I will need a new letter?

Fortunately, he softened here and said "No, this letter is OK. Just get the passbook updated and bring everything back to me,..... direct to me".

That should be OK then, as long as Bangkok Bank don't lose my passbook in the next 19 days !!

Lessons learned for next year:-

Retain a copy of the BKB FCD letter just in case they do no more in the next 12 months.

Request a passbook update 2 weeks before putting in the extension application.

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
The Robinson office can't do it either. They assured me the main office in buriram could. Guess I'll plan a trip to BKK next year as I am doing border hop tomorrow.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
Several years ago I tried the income verification using a bank statement and like in your case turned into a big hassle.  So I use the Embassy letter and have a mini vacation is Bangkok getting it.  Since the Embassy statement is good for 6 months that allows flexibility. 

However, maybe if you had put a few 1000 baht notes in your passbook before handing it to them it may have provided a different outcome.   

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
Several years ago I tried the income verification using a bank statement and like in your case turned into a big hassle.  So I use the Embassy letter and have a mini vacation is Bangkok getting it.  Since the Embassy statement is good for 6 months that allows flexibility. 

However, maybe if you had put a few 1000 baht notes in your passbook before handing it to them it may have provided a different outcome.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I was only trying to save a few Bob by not paying the embassy fee of 2,300 Baht.....................

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Retirement Extension for Dummies 2017 ?€“ Buriram Immigration
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
I'd been considering opening a FCD account with Bangkok bank. Currently I have 800,000 baht that I just let sit in a fixed interest savings account. If in the position to do so, wouldn't it be easier to take out 800,000 from the FCD when the rate improves and do the same. I know an element of the flexibility that the FCD provides is lost but as it has to sit there for a 90 day minimum anyway it seems a simpler option.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Retirement Extension for Dummies 2017 ??? Buriram Immigration
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 09:12:09 PM »
I'd been considering opening a FCD account with Bangkok bank. Currently I have 800,000 baht that I just let sit in a fixed interest savings account. If in the position to do so, wouldn't it be easier to take out 800,000 from the FCD when the rate improves and do the same. I know an element of the flexibility that the FCD provides is lost but as it has to sit there for a 90 day minimum anyway it seems a simpler option.

A number of people on Surin Farang forum (and on here) opened FCD's earlier this year.

Two main reasons for me........ the first being the expectation that (eventually) Sterling/Baht will recover to the 50 mark.In any event the rates moves and with an FCD you can transfer when YOU like the rate.

Secondly, when transferring funds into Baht you get the full TT rate with no commission charges. OK you pay small charges when Sterling is transferred in but I like getting the full TT rate.

Onine Banking with Bangkok Bank is very good and it is easy to transfer funds out.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 09:26:21 PM »
OK, so I get that you have the flexibility to change the sterling deposit to baht when you feel the rate is good. What I'm asking is:- once you've done your current extension you then have 9 months in hand before needing to season 800,000. Why not open a fixed rate savings account and over the next 9 months or in one hit, as and when rates are good, change Serling to baht and put it in that account. Bank letter is easy and update of passbook is easy.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
OK, so I get that you have the flexibility to change the sterling deposit to baht when you feel the rate is good. What I'm asking is:- once you've done your current extension you then have 9 months in hand before needing to season 800,000. Why not open a fixed rate savings account and over the next 9 months or in one hit, as and when rates are good, change Sterling to baht and put it in that account. Bank letter is easy and update of passbook is easy.

Fair point.

Personal choice I guess. Now I know the system the bank letter for FCDs is not that much more complex.I don't really want to have the best part of 800k Baht in an account from exchanging at current rates. I agree that GBP/THB could possibly hit a figure that attracts me - if I see enough of those occasions then it may be worth having 800k Baht around; a fixed rate account/bond then becomes a reality.

My instinct is that I will finish up spending my current FCD balance over the next 9 months, whilst retaining Sterling in the UK, and then transfer a lump into the FCD at least 3 months before y extension date.

Tassie

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2017, 05:49:24 AM »
What is a FCD?
Regards

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2017, 07:40:31 AM »
Foreign Currency Deposit. Your money is held  in its originating currency and converts to baht as and when you withdraw it/transfer it to a current or deposit account. You get the bank exchange rate on the day. Means you can bring money over ready but not convert until your happy with rate or need it.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
What is a FCD?
Regards
They make special deals for Aussies too!!

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »
Think only on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. For Americans it's twice a year but they don't tell you which days.

Tassie

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2017, 03:19:56 PM »
Many thanks for the info.
Regards

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »

Just a quick follow up to last week's visit.

The FCD passbook has been updated in Bangkok and returned to Buriram today (call received 10.00 am).

I duly picked it up and headed to Buriram Immigration.

Only 2 other people being dealt with and my my man was on the phone. When he finished his call I presented myself to him with the BKB passbook (and other papers) and reminded him that e told me to come back to see him. He efficiently, courteously and professionally dealt with my extension and then processed my multiple re-entry request.

All done in less than half an hour. The Immigration Officer's name was khun Arkhad Thonglon and in 12 years of dealing with Immigration I have never had such good service. His English was impeccable (albeit with a slight American accent) and, at the end, when he said "have a good day" it felt as if he meant it.

If I understood him correctly he may be leaving Buriram Immigration; he said he would like to stay permanently but that "might be difficult". I sincerely hope that we do not lose him.

Offline Ahab

• Active member on the right way
  • Mostly right, just ask me
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2017, 06:34:23 AM »
Has anyone ever been asked to provide a blue book (with owner) when applying for an extension of stay based on retirement in Buriram? An English gentleman (11 year expat) told me it was a requirement, but this is not something I have ever heard of. I am planning on applying for my first extension in the next couple of days. I have a US Embassy letter and will update my bank book on the way to Buriram (and will bring other documentation that might be needed).

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick