{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: No more visa runs as of 13th August  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Sofa_King

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
No more visa runs as of 13th August
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:21:08 AM »
No more visa runs as of 13th August

The honeymoon seems to be over. Anyone relying on the Thailand’s easy boarder run policy to stay in the country for an extended period of time will not be able to from 13th August.

The one day visa runs to the neighboring countries borders to gain an additional 15 – 30 days has been a very popular and cheap way for many long term residents in Thailand to extend their stay here without the need of long stay visas, but this is about to change.

Anyone wishing to stay longer must now leave the country in order to apply for a visa at consulates and embassies in other countries, something many are complaining is very inconvenient.

The Immigration Bureau have already told the officials to refuse entry to foreigners on visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here.

Tourists wishing to extend their stay in Thailand must now need to exit the country and apply for a proper tourist visa or they will need to fly out of the country every thirty days to obtain a new stamp. However, the ‘fly in – fly out’ option will not last for very long as visa runs by air will be prohibited from August 13th.

Immigration Bureau website says: “Leniency will be granted until August 12, but only for passengers arriving by air. Foreigners who come to Thailand must seek a proper visa in line with the purpose of their intended stay here.”

These moves have come about to prevent people from simply coming in and out of the country without having to apply, and pay for, the proper visa required to stay in the country. This means that tourists will now have to secure a visa from a consulate outside of Thailand whether that is in their own country before they travel or in nearby countries such as Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos or Singapore.

The issuing of visas from nearby countries is down to the discretion of the consulate used and the rules regarding the issue of tourist visas change on a monthly basis. Those who have already had several tourist visas may find their application is refused or they may receive a single rather than a double entry visa.

Pol Colonel Thirachai Dedkhad said: “We have made it clear that if they want to work in Thailand, they must seek a work permit and get the right type of visa.”

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: No more visa runs as of 13th August
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »
That story is 2 years old.

Offline Sofa_King

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »
That story is 2 years old.

Oops! ::)

Just a reminder  :biggrin:

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
Guys,
Quick question regarding extended holiday in Thailand. My Son may come over early next week so insufficient time to apply for a 60 day visa.
If he flys in and gets stamped into Thailand for 30 days what are/is the easiest/cheapest option If he decides to remain for a further 30 days.
I will book him a return ticket for 30 days but pay for the semi flexi option which will allow him to a
There the return date if he is able to extend the stay.

Offline Sofa_King

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 02:07:26 PM »
Guys,
Quick question regarding extended holiday in Thailand. My Son may come over early next week so insufficient time to apply for a 60 day visa.
If he flys in and gets stamped into Thailand for 30 days what are/is the easiest/cheapest option If he decides to remain for a further 30 days.
I will book him a return ticket for 30 days but pay for the semi flexi option which will allow him to a
There the return date if he is able to extend the stay.

If he gets a 60 day tourist visa before he comes he gets 60 days on arrival . this can be extended by 30 days at the nearest Immigration office for 1,900 baht .
If he comes without a Tourist Visa he will get a 30 day day visa exemption stamp and after 30 days he will have to do a boarder run to get another 30 days  ;)

Offline Sofa_King

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 02:24:25 PM »
If he comes without a Tourist Visa he will get a 30 day day visa exemption stamp and after 30 days he will have to do a boarder run to get another 30 days  ;)

OR  he can extend his 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not tourist visa) for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht also , so I've been informed :)

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 04:15:21 PM »
Excellent. Thank you SofaKing. I thought that would be t he case but just wanted to double check.
It may well be that he has insufficient not time to get tourist visa before he travels hence the question.
But 2 good options to follow if he decides he wants to stay for more than 30 days.
Kids!!!!   28 and still a constant worry.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 04:35:23 PM »
@Freddy.

The only problem there maybe could be is that the upon leaving the UK the airline will not let your son board the airplane if he can't show a Visa to Thailand.

BUT that can easily circumvent that by buying him a cheap refundable ticket to for example M'sia that leaves before his 30 days (after arrival) are up and he shows that the airline when he is questioned back in the UK

Good luck

Offline Sofa_King

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 05:09:31 PM »
@Freddy.

The only problem there maybe could be is that the upon leaving the UK the airline will not let your son board the airplane if he can't show a Visa to Thailand.

BUT that can easily circumvent that by buying him a cheap refundable ticket to for example M'sia that leaves before his 30 days (after arrival) are up and he shows that the airline when he is questioned back in the UK

Good luck

Not having a Visa is never a problem as anyone from the UK as you can get a 30 day visa exempt entry on arrival stamp, it's not having a return ticket that sometimes can cause a problem . But as Freddy is getting his son a return 30 day ticket with a  semi flexi option, then it looks like he has all possible problems covered :) 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »
I concur that an exempt entry can be extended by 30 days at immigration. A border hop at ChongChom works out 100 baht cheaper.

If there is a return ticket within 30 days of arrival the airlines will have no problems with letting him board.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 06:26:49 PM »
Yes, at check-in in the UK he will have a fully paid up and confirmed return flight within the 30 days. Should he decide to stay for longer I will change the return flight at that time and once he has been approved for a further 30 days.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Offline Tod Daniels

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 02:02:39 PM »
You would be surprised how much traction on the thai related forums and f/b groups on the inter-web this ancient total B/S article got. :o

I mean people were posting PAGES of drivel about it.  :wacko:

It literally made my mind wobble. :ohmy:. (but that could be beacuse my head is too big for my tiny brain  :()..

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick