{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: motor cycle lights at night  (Read 30629 times)

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: motor cycle lights at night
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 10:09:23 AM »
Getting back to GEOFFREY'S original post.

I think any scooter accessories business owner, and the Police, are both missing a golden opportunity here.

On the footpath, right next to any Police roadblock, the business guy could set up a temporary shop selling motorcycle globes.

The Police could do a headlight-tailight check on every motorcy, then if there's a non working light, they not release the motorcy until he's purchased a globe from the adjacent footpath shop.

Having purchased a globe, the motorcy rider may actually go to the trouble of fitting it when he gets home.

The footpath seller could also make a mutually satisfactory donation to the Police favourite charity for their efforts.

4 winners in this scenario..

Motorcy owner has working lights and is legal again.
Business guy has made some baht selling globes.
Police have helped reduced the number of unroadworthy motorcys.
Police favourite charity has made an easy little earner.

I know ... it's too logical and simple. Will never happen.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »
The problem with that is that the motorcycle owner are likely to not have a licence.

They will then pull up somewhere before the road block and wait until about midday, when the police go home, to proceed.

Next time you are heading towards Buriram and you see a road block under the bridge in front of HomePro, have a look at how many motorcyclists there are in the ESSO petrol station.

Offline GEOFFREY

• Contributor with future
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »
Thank you smoothy

for the most positive reply

we should never say never

all we need is a good Thai translator and volunteers to sell your idea to the police chief

if he made it work in buriram he would get so much praise from other areas and make a good name for himself

regards geoff

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »
Thank you smoothy

for the most positive reply

we should never say never

all we need is a good Thai translator and volunteers to sell your idea to the police chief

if he made it work in buriram he would get so much praise from other areas and make a good name for himself

regards geoff

Mmmmmm. A group of expats going to the police chief to tell him that he is not doing his job properly.

I don't think so.

Offline GEOFFREY

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »
hi starman

the psychology of selling benefits to you

is totally different from telling some one   what to do

that is why a clever salesman / lady  with enough tenacity

can make you buy some thing that you might have had no intentions of buying

most of us at some time would have had that experience

kind regards geoff

Offline Sofa_King

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
hi starman

the psychology of selling benefits to you

is totally different from telling some one   what to do

that is why a clever salesman / lady  with enough tenacity

can make you buy some thing that you might have had no intentions of buying

most of us at some time would have had that experience

kind regards geoff

I'm not sure if you know the way most Thai peoples minds work Geoff :)

If you was giving away FREE light bulbs and not fining people when they are found to have non- working lights then that might encourage people with non working lights to drive to the Check-point to get their FREE Globe. 

They did do something similar with helmet a while back, so when  riding your motorcycle or scooter without a helmet you needed to pay a fine, but you also got a helmet for free.....that didn't work either  vespa013

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »
The point is that a group of expats are not going to be  granted an audience with the chief of police by just walking into the police station.

First you will need to go to the front desk. The officer there will ask what you want and will write a report. That report will then have to be signed off several times before it even gets to the top man.

Meanwhile there is a story circulating the police station that there are some farang that have an idea that is going to make more work. Secondly it will be seen as farang trying to show them their misgivings. That sort of story will spread in no time.

There will then be many pissed off policemen.

I know an expat that once pissed a policeman off. From then on he was pulled over virtually every time he drove his car or rode his motorbike passed a policeman. There was always something found to be amiss and a fine was always paid.

It got so bad that the guy eventually had to move away from Buriam.

Good luck finding people who are prepared to put their life in Buriram on the line for the sake of a few motorcyclist who probably don't really care about lights anyway.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:22:45 PM by Starman »

Offline Sofa_King

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 01:52:05 PM »
I totally agree with Starman. smilenod

You can tell the difference between the Ex-pats that have lived here a long time and those that are  newbie 's

Offline Sofa_King

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 02:12:17 PM »
This is an interesting article from the bigchilli.com , even though it's a few years old

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features/how-many-more-lives-will-be-wasted-by-motorcyclists-who-refuse-to-weara-crash-helmet

When the Wife and I brought a new Honda Wave recently we were both offered free helmets but decided  to spent some extra Baht on the best Crash helmets they had ( as the ones we had already were getting old and of an inferior quality ) For us it was not big deal spending a little extra cash but for some Thais that extra cash could mean a food bill for a few weeks. Sometimes it's just not down to mindset but limited funds too, to get that little extra bit of protection  bike037

I see the Helmet issue being far bigger part of Thailand Road Safety woe's than non-working Motorbike head-lights TBO !!

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 04:24:08 PM »
My Post #30 was suggesting that a Thai business entrepeneur work in co-operation with the Police. I never suggested that farangs get anywhere near this situation. I agree 100% that we'd be as welcome as a floating turd in the Buriram Public Pool.

Also, non legal motorcy owners would be required to purchase a globe from the footpath seller before their scooter was released from the checkpoint. Not given a free globe ? Where did that come from ?

By forcing owners to actually pay for a globe, they may be more inclined to fit it, rather than throw it in the bin. Even if only a small minority fix their lights, then it's a positive result.

From a Police perspective, I expect it would take all of 10 seconds to check whether headlight/tailight is working. Hardly a time consuming chore.

As for those riders with no licence hiding in petrol stations .... well that may be so, but there's always still heaps of suckers pulled over at every roadblock.

It's all a bit academic really, as none of this will ever eventuate.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:29:35 PM by smoooth2 »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »
My Post #30 was suggesting that a Thai business entrepeneur work in co-operation with the Police. I never suggested that farangs get anywhere near this situation. I agree 100% that we'd be as welcome as a floating turd in the Buriram Public Pool.

Also, non legal motorcy owners would be required to purchase a globe from the footpath seller before their scooter was released from the checkpoint. Not given a free globe ? Where did that come from ?

By forcing owners to actually pay for a globe, they may be more inclined to fit it, rather than throw it in the bin. Even if only a small minority fix their lights, then it's a positive result.

From a Police perspective, I expect it would take all of 10 seconds to check whether headlight/tailight is working. Hardly a time consuming chore.

As for those riders with no licence hiding in petrol stations .... well that may be so, but there's always still heaps of suckers pulled over at every roadblock.

It's all a bit academic really, as none of this will ever eventuate.

The police usually attempt to pull every motorbike over at a road block.

The point I was trying to make is that riders that know they will be fined will stop and turn around when they see a roadblock.

If they know that a light check is now part of the reason for being stopped they will avoid the place.

There used to be a thing whereby if you are wearing a helmet you did not get stopped. Now you will get stopped for a licence check helmet or not.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »
what I have concluded from this post is:

1.  Thais do not like to turn on their headlights.   When raining or dusk, cars do not have headlights on. 

2.  Police may ticket you for driving with your headlights on.  However, so far there is no written law has been provided to back it up.   

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 06:17:21 AM »
I was talking to a policeman friend yesterday.

He told me that it is illegal to drive a car or ride a motor bike bare chested.

That's a quirky one.

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 06:19:30 AM »
Women, men, or both?   whistle

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 06:22:03 AM »
That's what I asked. 555.

I was suggested that women may get a lesser punishment.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick