{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: AIS unauthorized data charges.  (Read 9206 times)

Offline KhunG

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
AIS unauthorized data charges.
« on: February 01, 2016, 07:42:18 PM »
I buy a data package, TW doesn't.  All of a sudden this month all her credit vanished.  We put some more on and it was gone in days.  It turns out she's being charged daily fees for data that she never requested.  She never even turns on data on her phone, other than leaving wifi on to use our home wifi.  She called AIS, and they said they'll turn it off.  We top up again and a couple days later the credit is gone to data charges, and there's a message on her phone saying so.  We've had these numbers for well over a year without a problem, though the handsets are only a few months old.

So, has someone taken over her number?  If she needs to change it we have to go to all our utilities, shopper programs, friends, etc to update.  Or, is it possible to take that number and move it to say DTAC if this is an AIS problem?

I'd appreciate any advise, this is the first time either of us have seen something like this.

Offline fishy

• Contributor on the right way
Re: AIS unauthorized data charges.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »
Not being a Guru with electronics but if I had a similar scenario... I would first try changing the WIFI password and made sure it is on a secured network. Maybe the kids or neighbour's kids and/or the whole village are tapping into it?.. 2nd thing maybe there is a virus on either the phone or whatever is being WIFI"ED to. Try turning WIFI off for a couple of days and see if that's where the data is disappearing which singles out AIS as the culprit..(I can't imagine the TW going without WIFI though).... My 2 bobs worth....... 

Offline KhunG

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:00:27 AM »
Not being a Guru with electronics but if I had a similar scenario... I would first try changing the WIFI password and made sure it is on a secured network. Maybe the kids or neighbour's kids and/or the whole village are tapping into it?.. 2nd thing maybe there is a virus on either the phone or whatever is being WIFI"ED to. Try turning WIFI off for a couple of days and see if that's where the data is disappearing which singles out AIS as the culprit..(I can't imagine the TW going without WIFI though).... My 2 bobs worth.......

Thanks for the ideas.  We've run the avast virus scanner on her phone and it didn't find anything.  We do have a WPA2 secured network, and I can identify the MAC address of every machine attached to the router as being one of ours.

Turning off WiFi may do the trick when she's away from home.  Maybe the phone is trying to access AIS WiFi networks even though we didn't ask for it, because her data switch is definitely off.  I wonder if she might have accidentally activated one of the myriad adverts AIS is constantly sending, but in any case she's going in person to the local Telewiz later today to figure out how to get it turned back off.

Offline KhunG

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »
Well, we'll see, but according to TW, Telewiz knew exactly what it was - a push program from AIS, and said they deactivated it.  We'll watch to see if her credits quit vanishing.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick