{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Widespread use of English script in Thailand  (Read 5190 times)

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Widespread use of English script in Thailand
« on: July 29, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
For me, one of the really intriguing things about Thailand is the very widespread use of English script in Thailand.

Whilst I'm very happy that this is so (so I can at least read some things), I'm so curious as to why TV stations, advertisers, shops etc etc use English script so much.

Thai's appear to me to be very proud of their culture and language (as they should be), yet Eglish script is so prevelent.

The big "Bike For Mom" national event is a classic example. It's clearly a Thai event, and all the advertising promoting this occasion is in Thai ... except the banner name. Why would the organisers do this ?

Also, Mr Pichai posted today about Starbucks Coffee opening in the new Robinsons store. The entire menu is in English ? I'm guessing that few locals would be able to translate any of it.

My girlfriend certainly cannot read the menu, even though she speaks English really well.

Anyway ... just my thoughts.

Offline jivvy

• Contributor with future
Re: Widespread use of English script in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
The prices are clearly posted on the sign board in Thai and English at the Buriram Starbucks Coffee Shop.
Also, Mr Pichai posted today about Starbucks Coffee opening in the new Robinsons store. The entire menu is in English ? I'm guessing that few locals would be able to translate any of it.

Mr pichai says that the prices are in Thai and English

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »
The prices are clearly posted on the sign board in Thai and English at the Buriram Starbucks Coffee Shop.

ooops ... so he did     loco

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
Just my view, but I think many Thai industries are assuming, with the coming of the ASEAN community that this country is going to flourish and shine like a bright star amongst the rest. Hence, the common use of the frequently published Engrish words.

Of course they are right because.................. Doesn't matter!

Offline Jackie-boy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
The Thais have been using English Script on signs for ages.Road signs,School signs,,Hospitals signs and most tourist attractions all have signs in English ,which can be very helpful . :)

Offline olavhome

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
What they really should do, to improve thais English skills, was to drop "dubbing" language of foreign movies or tv shows.  Dubbing mean they  never learn how to speak, because lacking skills on most thai English Teachers.
In Pattaya I did see Skyfall (james bond for the un-educated :-) ), he was speaking thai and that was the Cultural shock of my life :-(

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »

Offline nico

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 01:23:28 AM »

What country was based here during Wietnam war? Why is all "modern" bathroom equipment American standart? (not so modern by the way) but yankees... is the answer to this my opinion.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick