{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Registering a will.  (Read 20457 times)

Offline buckwhelk

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Registering a will.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 09:13:36 PM »
What I mean to say is that, due to the laws on ownership here in Thailand, many expats only have money in the bank in their own name.

Houses, cars and other things are often in the name of their spouse so there is no problem upon death. The reports that have been on other forums lately have been in connection with one thing that must be in the expats' name. That is the bank account used to gain an extension of stay. Without a will there have been many reports of the spouse having problems getting the money out of the bank.
This agrees with what I was told by Siam Commercial Bank where I have money on deposit to enable me to get an extension of stay each year. The staff indicated that in the event of my death, the money would not be easily available to my wife....even thought the staff in my branch know me and my wife well...They said "a paper from the court" would be required

Offline bonghead

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
Thanks for the info that's coming in, we have decided to get married, before getting Thai Widows & Expats to draft my Will,  Why!!
well upon my demise my g/f would have no say in what happens to my body, or get a death certificate, the police would inform immigration who in turn would inform my next of kin, so by getting married she becomes my next of kin, then when making my Will everything will go to my wife rather than g/f, i just feel better having it that way.
Regarding what Steve said a Thai bank, or other official body's might be interested in xxxxxxxx amount,( Where there's a will there's a way) i have just opened a deposit account with xxxxxxx amount in, after it matures in 6 months i am thinking to transfer it into wife's account.
Foot note, we will leave on 6th July for Bangkok, should be married on the 9th, at Bang Lek.   

Offline ThaiWidowsandExpats

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 07:49:23 AM »
Best wishes to Mr and the future Mrs Bonghead.

Another option with the bank would be to have joint accounts. That way no problem withdrawing after death. Not permissible however for visa extensions.

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:16 AM »
Interesting thread, I was thinking of opening a joint account for just that reason. I get my marriage extensions on producing an income certificate.

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »
All good info here and if I may add to it. When getting a will for yourself (the farang), get one for your wife too, so that she can leave your house, etc to you.
If she pops her clogs before you Mr.Bonghead, the husband is low low low down the food chain when dishing out the inheritance/ estate. Think a husband is just after the flea's on your dogs back.

Just a though?

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 01:25:18 PM »
@Nobby.

Of course it can be done but as you maybe know a Foreigner can't own land in its own name so IMO if your wife leaves you the house you will be forced to sell within a certain Time Period (of which I am not certain but it's either 180 days or 1 year)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 01:33:15 PM »
All good info here and if I may add to it. When getting a will for yourself (the farang), get one for your wife too, so that she can leave your house, etc to you.
If she pops her clogs before you Mr.Bonghead, the husband is low low low down the food chain when dishing out the inheritance/ estate. Think a husband is just after the flea's on your dogs back.

Just a though?

Make sure you buy the land under the "sin somrot" agreement. That way nothing can be done to the land without your say so.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
@Starman.

Isn't that when your Thai Wife buys land the foreigner has to sign a document (at the Land Office) that he can't make any claims towards it and thus makes it automatically "Sin Son Tua" ?

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »
@Nobby.

Of course it can be done but as you maybe know a Foreigner can't own land in its own name so IMO if your wife leaves you the house you will be forced to sell within a certain Time Period (of which I am not certain but it's either 180 days or 1 year)
I believe you are right but I'd rather have a 1/2 to a year to sort out the matter than (possibly) being thrown out on the street, from a house you may have paid for. 
The thought of a quick 'buck' can turn some people into nasty pieces of work in any country and I suspect more so in Thailand with all its gambling problems. Unfortunately, I have learnt that the hard way and my apologies for sounding so negative.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:43:40 PM by Nobby »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
@Starman.

Isn't that when your Thai Wife buys land the foreigner has to sign a document (at the Land Office) that he can't make any claims towards it and thus makes it automatically "Sin Son Tua" ?

Complete opposite.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »
@Starman.

Complete opposite.

Oke, just out of curiosity, what is that document then you have to sign at the land office when your Thai misses buys land ?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:55:58 PM by iammike »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 07:59:55 PM »
The "sin somrot"document as I explained before.

It really is a great advantage to be able to speak and read Thai.

By the way...I was quite happy for my wife to buy the land in her own name. When she went to the land office they asked where I was. I was called in and they explained things to me. We signed the forms together.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 08:11:18 PM »
@Starman.

I just did a small search and I found this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738355-farang-husband-still-have-to-sign-not-my-money-or-interest-when-wife-buys-chanote-land-title-deed/

Fortunately I have a complete lack of Thai Language skills however some people who know me tend to disagree ;)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »
Indeed, but like someone on here wrote today " better to speak about personal experience" than what " I read or my mate told me".

You are quite welcome to come to my house and read all of the documents.

Offline bonghead

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
Nobby, on the issue my wife to be making a will, im 70 years young, she is 24 years younger, and a Widow its her house i live in, in the four years we've  lived together i have had work done on it, i don't think if something happens to her, her family would asked me to leave the house. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick