{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Understanding EXPAT Talk - words we use  (Read 9084 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Understanding EXPAT Talk - words we use
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:21 AM »
As we interact with each other we don't all speak the same English.  I speak American, Smooth2 speaks Aussie, and Nookie speaks gibberish.  So a few words being used that might be common in your country are not regularly understood in another country. 

For example, if you say fortnight to an American, they will look at you with a WTF expression. 

fort·night noun \ˈfȯrt-ˌnīt\  : a period of 14 days : two weeks   :  a period of 14 days :  two weeks   

Or if you say Fag to an American he will think you are talking guys in San Francisco, not cigarettes.       

So what EXPAT words do you find strange, unusual, etc.     

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: Understanding EXPAT Talk - words we use
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:50:41 AM »
In my many years of experience, both with meeting teachers of many nationalities and also having many customers that come from different places, I have found as a British English speaker I very rarely come across any words that are strange.

I understand, and have seen many instances, that when someone that speaks American English to an Aussie English speaker (example) there is confusion.

Alot of the confusion derives from the evolution of a language. Using "fortnight" as an example, it is a word from the12th century,and originally meant 14 nights but is now more commonly looked upon as 14 days.

Aussie English has evolved much the same as British English, with the exception of slang, mainly because of the continued emigration of British people. American English has evolved more by introducing Native American language and Spanish.

This can also be seen in the spelling. The American spellings for the word "color" and "center", for example, are in fact the original spellings but over the course of time they have changed in British English. So, and it pains me to say this, the American spelling is in fact correct.  boxingguy

I think the the British English speakers have kept up with these evolutions and thus tend to understand more variations of the English language.

Even on my products list I have "faggots" which I fully understand has to be marketed to Americans as "meat balls". 555
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:52:35 AM by Starman »

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
As we interact with each other we don't all speak the same English.  I speak American, Smooth2 speaks Aussie, and Nookie speaks gibberish.  So a few words being used that might be common in your country are not regularly understood in another country. 

For example, if you say fortnight to an American, they will look at you with a WTF expression. 

fort·night noun \ˈfȯrt-ˌnīt\  : a period of 14 days : two weeks   :  a period of 14 days :  two weeks   

Or if you say Fag to an American he will think you are talking guys in San Francisco, not cigarettes.       

Nookie actually talks "BOLLOCKS" - it is quite a rare English Midlands idiom unique to people with special needs in that area. Characterised by short sentences that invariably include the word 'fcuk'.

I love meatballs but I am very wary of ordering faggots in American company!   :)

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »

Nookie actually talks "BOLLOCKS" - it is quite a rare English Midlands idiom unique to people with special needs in that area. Characterised by short sentences that invariably include the word 'fcuk'.

I love meatballs but I am very wary of ordering faggots in American company!   :)

You should fell at home then with Sir Elton John. congrats

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »

That's right midduck!

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
A good old word you can use today Adam...."win".

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
Why are Yanks often referred to as 'Seppo's' or 'Septic Tanks'........Could someone please explain

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
Why are Yanks often referred to as 'Seppo's' or 'Septic Tanks'........Could someone please explain

Don't know for sure but it probably has something to do with all the crap we Americans have to take dealing with you has beens. 

Offline mahdam

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »
It's Cockney rhyming slang. "Septic Tank".... Yank.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick