{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Eating from road side vendors - Making you sick ?  (Read 9824 times)

Offline hotnutts

• Contributor with future
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    • Have You Seen
Eating from road side vendors - Making you sick ?
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:46:27 PM »
When I first stepped foot in Thailand I regularly ate from road side vendors and market stalls then about six month into my stay I became sick ( high temperature / vomiting / diarrhoea ) which was confirmed by a short hospital stay as being a food related problem . After that episode I stopped eating cooked foods from roadside vendors and market stalls . In the following years to now , fingers crossed ive never once again been sick with a food related issue. I have farang friends who eat cooked foods constantly from road side vendors and market stalls and generally they seem to have no serious health / food related problems. Ive asked these friends if they are not concerned at possibly being sick from eating this type of cooked food and their answer was that you have to keep eating the food from road side vendors and market stalls and if it does make you sick some times you must carry on and keep eating the food , until your body / stomach becomes more immune and eventually you will be able to eat any thing with out too many concerns.

Do you think my friends advice could be right  ?

Offline toffo

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Eating from road side vendors - Making you sick ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »
Keep eating uncooked pork or chicken and see if they are correct

Offline dundeemk6

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:46:14 PM »
Off course they are right hotnutts.
I rejoice at coming to your funerall in the near future ... again a 3 day party.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
Stick to salads (but wash the produce yourself) and you can't go wrong.

My missus says street food is not for Farangs, it is for Thais who can't afford anything better.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
Don't forget your Benda 500 (Mebendazole) tablet at least once a year  -  that should help to stave off liver fluke.

Offline hotnutts

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    • Have You Seen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »
So are you all saying that '' YOU '' don't eat anything cooked from road side vendors and market stalls  :o

Offline smoooth2

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »
When I first stepped foot in Thailand I regularly ate from road side vendors and market stalls then about six month into my stay I became sick ( high temperature / vomiting / diarrhoea ) which was confirmed by a short hospital stay as being a food related problem . After that episode I stopped eating cooked foods from roadside vendors and market stalls . In the following years to now , fingers crossed ive never once again been sick with a food related issue. I have farang friends who eat cooked foods constantly from road side vendors and market stalls and generally they seem to have no serious health / food related problems. Ive asked these friends if they are not concerned at possibly being sick from eating this type of cooked food and their answer was that you have to keep eating the food from road side vendors and market stalls and if it does make you sick some times you must carry on and keep eating the food , until your body / stomach becomes more immune and eventually you will be able to eat any thing with out too many concerns.

hotnutts ...

I recommend that you stay well clear of street food.

It seems you have caught a virulent strain of diarrhea called "BE Forumpostus"

Offline hotnutts

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    • Have You Seen
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »

hotnutts ...

Now I'm no literary expert so can you tell me what "BE Forumpostus" means  ;D

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »

hotnutts ...

LOL, you have become a Buriram Expat Post-a-holic. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »
But on the main topic, I have no issue eating from the road side vendors. 

I did get very sick once with what I believe to be food poisoning, and I refuse to go back and eat at the Big C food court.  In Feb I was talking to another expat that was complaining of food poisoning type syptoms, seems his last meal was at the Big C food court. 

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »
Agree re Big C food court. Ate there a couple of weeks ago and felt like had been kicked in the guts for the next 3 days. A mild case but think I was lucky not more serious. I do eat street food but am selective on what. Tend to go for the soups and to date no problems.

Offline hotnutts

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    • Have You Seen
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »

hotnutts ...

LOL, you have become a Buriram Expat Post-a-holic.

Now I know  thumbup

I tend to spend a lot of time at my computer due to my past accident back in the uk which slows me down a bit , so may be it shows  :)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »
BTW, here's an avatar for you:

Offline hotnutts

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    • Have You Seen
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
BTW, here's an avatar for you:

More like this  ;D

Offline davureborn

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
So are you all saying that '' YOU '' don't eat anything cooked from road side vendors and market stalls  :o

Going on holiday we mostly take the charcoal stove and our own rice and chicken (dead, usually), own water and own beer in the ice box, a rice cooker for when we get to the hotel. I used to think that Thais I saw on the back of their pickups doing this were being stingy, like me, now I do the same.
 Read up about recycled (that is to say cleaned with bleach) cooking oil bought previously from restaurants and what happens to it, judge for your self when the chicken died that you are eating and ask yourself if you are getting first quality rice that hasn't been cooking for three days.
I have tried everything that has been proposed to me up to now (even cow shit sauce) and am by no means squeamish, I killed and helped butcher the last two pigs.
 Apparently between Lamplaimatt and Buriram everybody lives from selling food / selling melons, what do you think happens with that kind of competition? No running water available generally.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick