{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Looking for cleaned pork casings.  (Read 13551 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Looking for cleaned pork casings.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »
BTW, cleaning can mean different things.  When I first stated cleaning, I was talking about aready having it cut from the stomach and scrapped "clean" (inside and out) of fats, waste, etc.  As shown here:

So what I did with the Makro casing was more soak, rinse and turn inside out.  I did not scrape them. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 09:32:32 PM »
A lot of pic downloads on the book.  You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sausage-Making-Cookbook-The-Jerry-Predika/dp/B005CDUQKO/ref=cm_rdp_product_img

Or you can come over bribing me with a Magners (or Leo) and I will let you see the book. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
Well about ready to try the casings.  Plan to pack them tomorrow morning.  Did the prep work tonight grinding the meat, adding the spices, and letting it set overnight.   

The grinder is working well except they on gave one sized grinder plate.  Took me about 5 minutes to cut 2 kilos of pork into chunks and less than 3 to grind it. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
Well the big day has arrived.  Made the Kielbasa. 

I had a lot of fun trying to get the casing on the horn, it looked easy in the vid.  Guess it is easy if you know what you are doing.  I ended up taking the horn off the grinder, putting it under the tap and running water through it, and the casing expand with water it goes over the horn. 

Then started packing the meat into the casings.  This would work a lot better with 2 people, I did it alone, but it was not easy.  Also I think I made the links too thick. 

With 2 kilos of meat it fit into a 2 meter section of casing.  I got about 9 eight inch lenths of Keilbasa.  I plan to cook some for tonight. 

There was about a hamburger patty sized residue, so I fried that up and tried it.  Not too bad for a first effort.    hungry1

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 08:45:43 PM »
Cooked up several links for the party, sliced is almost as a horderves.  Did not see anyone each just one. 

The token Aussie (that did not know what keilbasa was) while seemed to like it asked me if it was good.  In truth it is not where I want it to be, but better than any I had from a US Supermarket.  The last four pieces were disposed of properly (I ate them). 

The main problem is they were/are too thick, I need to make them half as large.  But overall I was not only pleased with the overall end product taste, but I did not see a single Thai that did not have at least seconds.  As opposed to most of the TWs that passed on the steak.

I am still amazed that the Brits and Aussies I have enountered were not familiar with Kielbasa, as I would expect just about all Yanks to know about it (never encountered one that didn't). 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:00:57 PM by urleft »

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »
Cooked up several links for the party, sliced is almost as a horderves.  Did not see anyone each just one. 

The token Aussie (that did not know what keilbasa was) while seemed to like it asked me if it was good.  In truth it is not where I want it to be, but better than any I had from a US Supermarket.  The last four pieces were disposed of properly (I ate them). 

The main problem is they were/are too thick, I need to make them half as large.  But overall I was not only pleased with the overall end product taste, but I did not see a single Thai that did not have at least seconds.  As opposed to most of the TWs that passed on the steak.

I am still amazed that the Brits and Aussies I have enountered were not familiar with Kielbasa, as I would expect just about all Yanks to know about it (never encountered one that didn't). 

That would be me (token Aussie) 555  Yes ... I was not sure if the kielbasa was good or not, having never tasted it before. But it certainly was tasty and worthy of a few slices more.

Having said that ... I also like Vegemite, Mrs Macs meat pies and Smiths chips ... I have bogan taste buds

I gather kielbasa is a Polish thingy ... so it's probably not too surprising that Aussies don't know it. Only 0.2% of Oz population has Polish heritage (had to Google that)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 10:14:35 PM »

That would be me (token Aussie) 555  Yes ... I was not sure if the kielbasa was good or not, having never tasted it before. But it certainly was tasty and worthy of a few slices more.

Having said that ... I also like Vegemite, Mrs Macs meat pies and Smiths chips ... I have bogan taste buds

I gather kielbasa is a Polish thingy ... so it's probably not too surprising that Aussies don't know it. Only 0.2% of Oz population has Polish heritage (had to Google that)

Martin,

I was wondering if I was understanding you last night. 

The bottom line is did you like the Kielbasa?  And would you want it again?   

From my standpoint (being of Polish decent and lived around Polish immigrants in the USA), what I made was acceptable.  It was not top quality as I prefer bigger chunks (but I only had a small cutter tray).   The end product IMHO was good, but lacked the proper ratio of fat, will need to add more pig fat next time.  I also made the links too big.  And to top it off, I did not have the right spice, so I used a substitute.  So from my Polish upbringing, there is a lot of room for improvement.  That being said, what I made is an order of magnitude better than what you get in a US supermarket.

And lastly, I prefer fresh Kielbasa (which is what I served), the rest of my family preferred Smoked Kielbasa.  That will be a later version for me.

BTW, the Polish Butcher Shop I used to get my Kielbasa closed over 10 years ago, I had not found anything better since.  But what I made was better than any I have found in the past 10 years. 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:17:50 PM by urleft »

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 11:15:28 PM »
The several slices of kielbasa I had were very tasty. Whether it was excellent kielbasa, or average kielbasa ... I really don't know ... as I've never eaten it before. But it tasted ok to me.

Yes ... I would like to try some more one day. Maybe it will improve my eyesight on the snooker table.

Cheers      thumbup

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 11:29:09 PM »
The several slices of kielbasa I had were very tasty. Whether it was excellent kielbasa, or average kielbasa ... I really don't know ... as I've never eaten it before. But it tasted ok to me.

Yes ... I would like to try some more one day. Maybe it will improve my eyesight on the snooker table.

Cheers      thumbup

It was not your eyesight, it was the bugs that got on the table to mess up your shots. 

Having practiced I know how to avoid the bugs.   Next time we will shut the door. 

Yes, maybe a weee bit of BS here. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM